Bond lengths in molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

curry 1E

Bond lengths in molecules

Postby curry 1E » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 pm

I am having a hard time understanding bond lengths and what constitutes a bond having a longer or shorter length than one another. Thanks!

Zaynab Hashm 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Bond lengths in molecules

Postby Zaynab Hashm 2I » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:29 pm

bond length in increasing order is: triple bond < double bond < single bond

A Raab 1K

Postby A Raab 1K » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Bond lengths are the length of the bond between two atoms. Bond length has to do with a number of factors, one of them being the size of the atom. An example was given in class of the bond lengths between HF, HCl, HBr, and HI. The bond lengths between those molecules get progressively longer as the each atom from F to I gets progressively larger. The longer a bond is, the weaker it is as well. Another factor is the number of bonds between atoms: there can be just one bond between atoms, or it may have double or even triple bonds. The more bonds there are tying two atoms together, the stronger the bond is and therefore the shorter the bond is. Hope this helps!

Chantel_2I

Postby Chantel_2I » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Bonds are longer or shorter depending on the distance between the two atoms. If there are multiple bonds, there are more shared electrons, so the atoms are more closely held together and the bonds are shorter. Also, if the atoms are smaller they can be closer together, so smaller atoms also make shorter bonds.

Doreen Liu 4D

Postby Doreen Liu 4D » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:49 pm

A double and triple bond is stronger but shorter than a single bond. The stronger the bond, the harder it is to break - so it would take more energy to break a double/triple bond than a single bond.

annikaying

Postby annikaying » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:17 pm

The more bonds there are (triple versus single) the shorter the bond is. This is because there are more e being shared and thus both atoms are pulled in closer together.

KBELTRAMI_1E

Postby KBELTRAMI_1E » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Chantel_4B wrote:Bonds are longer or shorter depending on the distance between the two atoms. If there are multiple bonds, there are more shared electrons, so the atoms are more closely held together and the bonds are shorter. Also, if the atoms are smaller they can be closer together, so smaller atoms also make shorter bonds.

and the lengths' measurements within a molecule are always equal bc its the average of all the bond lengths (its a concept after all, not a concrete detail).

vanessas0123

Postby vanessas0123 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Triple bond strength > double bond > single bond.

Think of having one rope being pulled vs two ropes - the one with the two ropes is stronger thus shorter!

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”