Electronegativity

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rosa Munoz 2E

Electronegativity

Postby Rosa Munoz 2E » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Should we memorize some of the common values of electronegativity?

Anish Patel 4B

Re: Electronegativity

Postby Anish Patel 4B » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:38 pm

You don't need to know the exact values but the general trends (F being the most) and the fact that noble gases have none.

Megan Cao 1I

Postby Megan Cao 1I » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 pm

I don't think we need to know the exact numerical electronegative values of the elements. however, I think we should know that Fluorine is the most electronegative and that on the periodic table electronegativity increases as you move from left to right and from the bottom up.

Lauren Stack 1C

Postby Lauren Stack 1C » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 pm

I do not believe we need to know exact values for electronegativity. I think that knowing the general periodic trends associated with it are sufficient in that noble gases are not electronegative and electronegativity increases up a column and across a row. Comparing relative electronegativity can be helpful when drawing Lewis structures and comparing atoms in general.

Julie Park 1G

Postby Julie Park 1G » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:17 am

When it comes to trends across the periodic table, it would be a good idea to know the general reasoning as to why those trends occur. Since
electronegativity measures an atom's tendency to attract and form bonds with electrons, electronegativity increases up and to the right on a periodic table (where F is the most electronegative)...

Left to right: If the valence shell of an atom is less than half full, it requires less energy to lose an electron than to gain one. This means that it's easier to pull in an e- than to donate one as you move to the right side of the table (since the number of ve- increases as you move to the right).

Top to bottom: Atomic number increases down a group, meaning that there is more distance between the valence electrons and nucleus, and thus a greater atomic radius

Merin Padayatty 3G

Postby Merin Padayatty 3G » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:30 am

You should know the general periodic table trend for electronegativity because it's relevant when drawing Lewis structures.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”