Resonance and Sigma/Pi Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ying Yan 1F

Resonance and Sigma/Pi Bonds

Postby Ying Yan 1F » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Someone asked this question in my lecture a few days ago, but I would like to ask about it again: What kind of bond would a resonace bond be classified as? For instance, would a molecule with a double bond resonance consider to have a pi bond or sigma bond? Thanks!

Caitlyn Tran 2E

Re: Resonance and Sigma/Pi Bonds

Postby Caitlyn Tran 2E » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:48 pm

I think there was an example of this in the textbook problems. If I understood it correctly, you would just classify sigma and pi bonds for each drawn resonance structure. In other words, I think you would just write all the possibilities. Hope this helps!

BeylemZ-1B

Postby BeylemZ-1B » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Typically, you look at the molecule as a whole when describing pi and sigma bonds. So every resonance structure would have the same number of sigma and pi bonds. But as the response above has stated, I would just draw in the specific pi and sigma bonds for each resonance structure if a test or homework question prompts you to.

brennayoung

Postby brennayoung » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 am

As far as I know resonance structures at this level shouldn't affect the number of sigma and pi bonds as the creation or reduction of sigma and pi bonds via the manipulation of lone pair electrons would change the formal charge and I think we only need to worry about the resonance structures where the net formal charge is the same and changing the type of bonds would affect net charge if i understand correctly.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”