Time Management Tips in Test

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jose Robles 1D

Time Management Tips in Test

Postby Jose Robles 1D » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:04 am

In a test that's graded a point per minute, how does one remain calm and get through it? Honestly, I study but when the test comes my IQ drops to 0 and I panic.

Emily_4B

Re: Time Management Tips in Test

Postby Emily_4B » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:49 am

I find that if I’m taking too long to figure out a problem at the beginning it helps me to skip it and do an easier problem so by the time I go back to the harder question I’m more calm and ready to process it.

kpang_4H

Postby kpang_4H » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:57 am

My iq drops as well, but i think just try to not think about the time and just try your best!

Yuri Lin 4H

Postby Yuri Lin 4H » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:34 am

If you can, try to find practice questions to construct your own mock test or try looking at test banks/previous tests and simulate the test day conditions by taking it with the same time constraints. This might help you stay a bit calmer during the actual test, since you'll have a more concrete idea of pacing and a greater sense of control over the test, which can hopefully keep your panic at bay. Also, try not to think too much about time ticking down/point per minute stakes and just focus on solving the questions.

Testing anxiety's no joke, so I hope things work out for you! Good luck on the next test and the final.

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:58 pm

I think that maybe looking through the whole test in the beginning, and seeing which ones are easy vs hard, can help you choose which problems to do first and which to wait on. Maybe, doing the easier ones first will help you feel like you have a lot of time for the harder, more time-consuming ones.

Yailin Romo 4G

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:39 pm

I also have trouble with timing on chem tests but what I try to do is if I am stuck on one I skip it and move onto ones I know I can get points on and then come back and try the ones I don't know at the end.

Return to “General Science Questions”