Coordination Covalent Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brian_Ho_2B

Coordination Covalent Bonds

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm

I understand that standard covalent bonds between nonmetals are composed of sigma and pi bonds, but how exactly does a covalent bond form between a TM cation and a nonmetal? Does it have something to do with the d-orbitals?

Ariel Davydov 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Coordination Covalent Bonds

Postby Ariel Davydov 1C » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:21 pm

The coordinate covalent bond between a nonmetal and a TM metal is "provided" by the nonmetal in the form of an extra lone pair. For example, if we are discussing a coordinate covalent bond between Cl- and Pb2+, the bond between one chlorine atom and one lead atom would be provided by one valence electron lone pair on Cl-, since Pb2+ has no additional electrons to share.

Tauhid Islam- 1H

Postby Tauhid Islam- 1H » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:01 am

Wait so the bond between the ligand and the TM doesn't form because of the charges from the TM and the ligand? I thought the bond forms because of the net charges, but I don't really know.

Justin Sarquiz 2F

Postby Justin Sarquiz 2F » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 am

When talking about coordinate covalent bonds, we want to look at the lone pairs in order to determine whether a bond will form, not the charges. We need to check that an atom has a lone pair of electrons that it can donate, so a coordinate covalent bond can form.

Michelle Xie 2B

Postby Michelle Xie 2B » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:03 am

In a coordinate covalent bond, the nonmetal has a lone pair and donates both electrons to the bond.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”