Nodal plane

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessa Maheras 4F

Nodal plane

Postby Jessa Maheras 4F » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:26 am

The textbook describes sigma bonds as having no nodal planes containing the internuclear axis - what does this mean? How does it compare with pi bonds?

haileyramsey-1c

Re: Nodal plane

Postby haileyramsey-1c » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am

A nodal plane are regions where there is zero likelihood of finding an electron. In a sigma bond it is a symmetrical sphere and the electron density is cylindrically symmetrical around the axis (imagine a beach ball). In a pi bond there is electron density on either side of the internuclear axis but at the internuclear axis the nodal plane exists (two beach balls and where they touch there are no electrons).

Sukanya Mohapatra 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sukanya Mohapatra 2G » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 pm

The sigma p bonding orbital is the lowest energy orbital which means it will have zero nodes. Then there is the pi bonding orbitals (1 node), the pi anti-bonding orbitals (2 nodes) and finally the anti-bonding sigma p orbital which has three nodes.

Laura WM 3I

Postby Laura WM 3I » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:05 pm

I think it is helpful to think of nodal planes using the 3D shapes that the book has for orbitals. Knowing that nodal planes are areas where there is a zero percent chance of finding an electron, think of a sphere (sigma bond) and how there is no gaps within it. P orbitals are made up of multiple orbs/lobes and therefore there will be space in between them. Nodal planes are in these spaces.

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”