test taking nervousness

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Savannah Mance 4G

test taking nervousness

Postby Savannah Mance 4G » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 am

I think I have the concepts down pretty well from lecture and I do all of the homework problems. But, when I take the tests I kind of blank and I think it's because I get kind of nervous. Does anyone have any advice for that?

Daniel Toscano 1L

Re: test taking nervousness

Postby Daniel Toscano 1L » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:40 am

Maybe try doing practice problems in test-like situations under a time constraint so you can be more used to actual test-taking.

Fiona Latifi 1A

Postby Fiona Latifi 1A » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 am

Try to really focus on the content and not the fact that you are taking a test. Just treat the questions like regular practice problems that you have successfully completed in the past. I know this can be difficult but it helps me.

anjali41

Postby anjali41 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:19 am

Getting in the right mindset to take finals can be tough. I think not cramming right before the test is important and instead just relaxing could be helpful. Maybe set-up practice exams for yourself where you have the same materials/time you do for the final. I hope you find what works well for you :)

faithkim1L

Postby faithkim1L » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Doing practice problems really help. It's the best way to get used to the types of problems that will be on the test, and it will also reinforce the concepts that you're learning for the test.

Prasanna Padmanabham 4I

Postby Prasanna Padmanabham 4I » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 pm

I feel you! I do the easier problems first because it makes me feel better (psychologically) and then I try to the harder problems. Think about what you do know because chances are you do know a lot. Maybe, if you can, identify what chapter the question is from and write down all the equations you know from that chapter and work from there. The action of writing something to solve that problem (even if that means copying a few equations from the equation sheet) calms me down and helps me think about what I can do with those equations...Usually, getting a little mini problem right will get you in the right mindset to solve the rest of the question.

I also close my eyes and focus on getting my heart rate down and just try to calm down before a test (or even during).

Junxi Feng 3B

Postby Junxi Feng 3B » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:35 pm

The best way is to do as many practice problems as you can, so that when you are taking the tests, you can react immediately and won't get nervous.

Celena Kim 2I

Postby Celena Kim 2I » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 am

I understand how you feel! The best thing to do is just practice a bunch of homework questions and practice questions online. Once I start getting everything right, it definitely boosts my confidence so much once I take the test, knowing I have the concepts down. The nervousness will disappear once you do so many problems and get everything right.

ShreyaKannan1B

Postby ShreyaKannan1B » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Savannah Mance 3B wrote:I think I have the concepts down pretty well from lecture and I do all of the homework problems. But, when I take the tests I kind of blank and I think it's because I get kind of nervous. Does anyone have any advice for that?

Don't drink too much coffee beforehand. Plus do practice problems.

Jose Robles 1D

Postby Jose Robles 1D » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:37 pm

I honestly feel the same, but studying early with a group of friends seems to help a bit.

AArmellini_1I

Postby AArmellini_1I » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 pm

I have the same problem especially in this class. What I'm trying to do is not hyping up the test. Just view as it as an opportunity to prove your knowledge where you will earn as many points as possible as opposed to thinking about the points you may lose.

Hannah Romano 4D

Postby Hannah Romano 4D » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:40 pm

Doing as many practice problems as possible may help you be more confident in your skills knowing that you've already attempted almost every problem style that could possibly be on the final.

Elizabeth Johnson 1I

Postby Elizabeth Johnson 1I » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm

I think a really big part of relieving that feeling is affirming yourself that you did everything you could up until that point and you are as ready as you'll ever be for it. I always take 3 deep breaths before I start any test and find the problem I'm most confident in and start the test by working on that. Just remember to breath and that a test grade doesn't define you.

JohannaPerezH2F

Postby JohannaPerezH2F » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 pm

This also happen to me a lot. I usually sit and take a deep breathe and really tell myself that I know what I'm doing. By giving myself reassurance I'm able to more easily focus on the problems

Cavalli_1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Cavalli_1H » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:11 pm

practicing under similar conditions to the test really is the best thing to do. practicing under time constraint, without distractions, without solutions to peek at are all ways to nail the mental preparedness necessary to do well on these kinds of tests. its one thing to be confident in the material, and its another thing to be confident in performing

Isabella Dal Porto 1H

Postby Isabella Dal Porto 1H » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 pm

I also find it helpful to skip questions that initially cause confusion. When I return to them later on, I always have a clearer mind and feel less stressed given that I know I have completed the easier problems I am more confident about.

KayleyW_3L

Postby KayleyW_3L » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:18 pm

ShreyaKannan1B wrote:
Savannah Mance 3B wrote:I think I have the concepts down pretty well from lecture and I do all of the homework problems. But, when I take the tests I kind of blank and I think it's because I get kind of nervous. Does anyone have any advice for that?

Don't drink too much coffee beforehand. Plus do practice problems.

This!! I can't say for everyone, but in my experience even just a little bit of caffeine makes me super jittery and get a sick stomach for a few hours. It's much better to just sleep earlier the night before the exam rather than to try cramming material.

Mandeep Garcha 2H

Postby Mandeep Garcha 2H » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:46 pm

I find it helpful to skip through and find the questions I know how to do first and then come back to the ones I am confused about because you slowly start recalling the material as times goes on.

Yailin Romo 4G

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:28 pm

This happens to me as well, the questions are sometimes a bit confusing to me and I automatically start to panic and get nervous. I try to do the ones I do know and come back to the hard ones after.

Jainam Shah 4I

Postby Jainam Shah 4I » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm

Take 3-4 minutes to glance over the test first. Figure out what questions will take more time and which ones will not. Try to attempt the ones that you have a good idea of and make sure you do them completely correct. So when you check your work you barely have to check those. Then do the problems that you have a general idea of and leave the hard ones for the last. Remember, don't dwell on any question for more than a minute if you are stuck. Try to finish as many questions you know the answer to first.

Return to “General Science Questions”