Difficulty

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ben 1B

Difficulty

Postby Ben 1B » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:29 pm

How does this class compare with everyone else’s classes? Is this considered one of your easier or more difficult classes? What other classes are you taking?

TheresaDsilva4A

Re: Difficulty

Postby TheresaDsilva4A » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 pm

I think the difficulty of this class depends on your prior experience with chemistry. If you took AP chemistry in high school, I would tend to believe that many of the concepts in 14A are a review. Personally, this class is moderately challenging for me because I only took an honors chem class in high school. I would consider it one of my harder classes, but then again, it really depends on the person. Hope this helps! (I'm also taking a math class and a psych GE.)

KayleyW_3L

Postby KayleyW_3L » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 pm

This class has been difficult for me, despite having taken AP chem before. Mostly because the material is presented in a very different way here than it was in high school.

Cindy Adiwidjaja 1B

Postby Cindy Adiwidjaja 1B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Coming from an underfunded and underprivileged high school, my only experience with Chemistry was during sophomore year, and was extremely unhelpful in terms of how it relates to this current class. I am struggling a lot in Chem 14A, and because the topics covered seems to by review for every one else, it is hard to get help to do better. I hope things get better for all of us fellow strugglers!

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:35 pm

I would definitely say that this class requires a lot of work, and especially coming from a not-so-strong chemistry background in high school, I think it makes me put more effort and take more advantage of all the resources that are out there to understand the topics and excel in the class.

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 pm

this class has been one of the hardest for me this semester, but really it all depends on how much work you put in and how efficiently you are using your time.

bellaha4F

Postby bellaha4F » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 pm

this class has been very difficult for me, since I only took honors chem sophomore year of high school. it has been taking a while for me to get use to chemistry again :(

Megan Ngai- 3B

Postby Megan Ngai- 3B » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 am

Despite taking AP chem, this call has still been difficult. It covers topics more in depth than what I learnt in high school.

Celena Kim 2I

Postby Celena Kim 2I » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:32 am

I never took AP Chem during high school and I took honors chem during my freshman year of high school so chem 14a has definitely been super difficult for me. Alot of these concepts are completely new to me and I don't even recall learning them during my freshman year.

Nikki Razal 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nikki Razal 1L » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:48 am

I agree with Kayley and Megan, I took AP chem in high school, and I think it definitely helped, but I also am not having an easy time in the class either. There's a lot of concepts like they were saying that go more in depth here in college

Yailin Romo 4G

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 pm

I have never taken chem before and so this class is honestly my hardest class because it is hard for me to learn chem. But ive heard chem 14b shouldn't be as bad since its a continuation. For people who have taken chem before ive heard its a breeze.

Jainam Shah 4I

Postby Jainam Shah 4I » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Compared to AP Chem, we are encouraged to think more deeply and combine concepts when solving problems. Our midterm questions for example utilized many different concepts in just one question. This class is certainly fair and not demanding in the course load, but you do have to practice many problems and understand concepts to be successful.

Sunia Akaveka 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sunia Akaveka 4I » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 pm

I think there is an obvious higher level of difficulty for students who haven't taken AP Chemistry. This class has me beyond stressed compared to my other classes! However, I make this assumption loosely based on my experience in my calculus class I'm also taking this quarter. My experience in that class is a lot better than a majority of my peers due to my prior election to take AP Calculus AB in high school. I believe there's a higher retention rate among AP Chem veterans due to the higher chance they have of relearning the material as opposed to students who did not take AP Chem and are being exposed to the material for the first time.

Daniel Toscano 1L

Postby Daniel Toscano 1L » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm

From a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most difficult, I'd say this class was a 7.5. It is difficult as I only had a limited background with chem and feels really accelerated, but it is manageable if you seek help (review sessions, UA workshops/step-up, PLF sessions, looking up concepts).

Claire Grover 3G

Postby Claire Grover 3G » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:34 pm

This class has been one of my hardest classes, especially because I don't have much chem experience at all.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”