hydrogen bonding

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Guzman_1J

hydrogen bonding

Postby Guzman_1J » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:50 pm

From what I read on 3F.5, hydrogen bonding can happen between H and N, F, or O molecules, but only if the H is already attached to a N, F, or O? So hydrogen bonding is technically not possible if that does not happen(as in, it would just be a regular interaction if one free H attached to an O, and not hydrogen bonding)?

John Liang 2I

Re: hydrogen bonding

Postby John Liang 2I » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Guzman_1J wrote:From what I read on 3F.5, hydrogen bonding can happen between H and N, F, or O molecules, but only if the H is already attached to a N, F, or O? So hydrogen bonding is technically not possible if that does not happen(as in, it would just be a regular interaction if one free H attached to an O, and not hydrogen bonding)?

Yes. the reasoning behind this is that the FON atoms are so electronegative that they pull electron density from the H, making it electropositive enough to attract to another FON molecule. A Hydrogen atom bonded to a C wouldn't have enough electropositivity to H-bond with a FON molecule because the C isn't electronegative enough. hope this helps!

Guzman_1J

Re: hydrogen bonding

Postby Guzman_1J » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 pm

John Liang 4G wrote:
Guzman_1J wrote:From what I read on 3F.5, hydrogen bonding can happen between H and N, F, or O molecules, but only if the H is already attached to a N, F, or O? So hydrogen bonding is technically not possible if that does not happen(as in, it would just be a regular interaction if one free H attached to an O, and not hydrogen bonding)?

Yes. the reasoning behind this is that the FON atoms are so electronegative that they pull electron density from the H, making it electropositive enough to attract to another FON molecule. A Hydrogen atom bonded to a C wouldn't have enough electropositivity to H-bond with a FON molecule because the C isn't electronegative enough. hope this helps!

Thank you, I understand now!

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”