polydentate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RBergtraun_3A

polydentate

Postby RBergtraun_3A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:51 pm

how do u differentiate between a ligand that has two binding site but can only bind one at a time and one that can bond two at the same time?

erica thompson 4I

Re: polydentate

Postby erica thompson 4I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm

it all depends on the structure of each molecule. like some have multiple potential bonding sites, but the sites aren’t far enough apart that 2 could bind, and some have 2 bonding sites that are far enough apart that it could bind to 2 molecules at the same time.

RBergtraun_3A

Postby RBergtraun_3A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:55 pm

erica thompson 4I wrote:it all depends on the structure of each molecule. like some have multiple potential bonding sites, but the sites aren’t far enough apart that 2 could bind, and some have 2 bonding sites that are far enough apart that it could bind to 2 molecules at the same time.

I kind of figured it out, you're describing ambidentate molecules. Thanks!

RBergtraun_3A

Postby RBergtraun_3A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:56 pm

erica thompson 4I wrote:it all depends on the structure of each molecule. like some have multiple potential bonding sites, but the sites aren’t far enough apart that 2 could bind, and some have 2 bonding sites that are far enough apart that it could bind to 2 molecules at the same time.

A molecule that can bind both at the same time would be considered a polydentate.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”