Vitamin B12

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Gabriella Bates 2L

Vitamin B12

Postby Gabriella Bates 2L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:37 pm

What is the structure of Vitamin B12? I know that Co is the transition metal that makes up the central atom, but what is the ligand? Also, what is its biological significance and how does the structure enable vitamin B12 to perform its function? Thanks in advance

Brian J Cheng 1I

Re: Vitamin B12

Postby Brian J Cheng 1I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Vitamin B12 has a center of Cobalt with 5 Nitrogen ligands and one CH2. It has an overall octahedral shape centered at Cobalt. According to the book, the cobalt prevents pernicious anemia and mental illnesses, and classmates have said it also participates in synthesis of DNA and myelin, metabolism of fatty and amino acids, among many other things. I don't think Dr. DJ Lavelle will ask about every single function as that would be quite overwhelming

Baoying Li 1B

Re: Vitamin B12

Postby Baoying Li 1B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 pm

There's a problem with Vitamin B12 in one of UA's worksheets. You can search "Karen" and click the title "Karen Sun workshop." There's a worksheet called "Worksheet F19--Coordination Compounds." I think that's very helpful.

What is the structure of Vitamin B12? I know that Co is the transition metal that makes up the central atom, but what is the ligand? Also, what is its biological significance and how does the structure enable vitamin B12 to perform its function? Thanks in advance

There are two ligands in Vitamin B12: cyanide ligand and corrin-DMB(tetradentate). Its function is to keep the body's nerve and blood cells healthy and help in the production of DNA and RNA.

Return to “Biological Examples”