Ligand polydentate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah_1G

Ligand polydentate

Postby Hannah_1G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:56 pm

How do you figure out how many sites a ligand can bind to on a metal?

Nohemi Garcia 1L

Re: Ligand polydentate

Postby Nohemi Garcia 1L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it depends on the lone pairs within a molecule. Like water is a monodentate because it can only bond through oxygen which has 2 sets of lone pairs. With en (ethylenediamine) since it has multiple nitrogens with lone pairs, it is able to bond through multiple site, making it a polydentate.

Joowon Seo 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Joowon Seo 3A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 pm

It depends on how many lone pairs the ligand has. For example, en has two nitrogen with lone pairs and is a bidentate.

Alan Cornejo 1a

Postby Alan Cornejo 1a » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Nohemi Garcia 1I wrote:I'm not entirely sure, but I think it depends on the lone pairs within a molecule. Like water is a monodentate because it can only bond through oxygen which has 2 sets of lone pairs. With en (ethylenediamine) since it has multiple nitrogens with lone pairs, it is able to bond through multiple site, making it a polydentate.

So only one of the lone pairs on oxygen is used ?

Adelpha Chan 1B

Postby Adelpha Chan 1B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Alan Cornejo 1a wrote:
Nohemi Garcia 1I wrote:I'm not entirely sure, but I think it depends on the lone pairs within a molecule. Like water is a monodentate because it can only bond through oxygen which has 2 sets of lone pairs. With en (ethylenediamine) since it has multiple nitrogens with lone pairs, it is able to bond through multiple site, making it a polydentate.

So only one of the lone pairs on oxygen is used ?

Yes, only one oxygen is used. This is shown in the naming compound sheet linked in another post indicating the water molecule is OHO with the bond to the first oxygen

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”