MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION  [ENDORSED]

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18739
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 635 times

MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:38 pm

The title is called "Marshmallow" so that you can search "Marshmallow" and easily find this post!

This is your favorite UA, Lyndon Bui, and I have created many practice problems for your final. The questions are modeled after previous test and exam questions, but it does not have everything you need to know. This covers only material after the midterm. We already covered pre-midterm material in a midterm review session.


Please complete these problems before my review session. My review session this quarter (FALL19) will be Friday, Dec 6, 7:30-10:30pm, in Haines 39.
I will go over each concept and problem in detail during the review session. The answers, but not full solutions or work, will be posted here at this post after the review session. Any errors in the test will be posted below as well.

Please complete the problems or attempt them before coming to the review session. This review session will feature Hannah Chew, Matt Tran, and Kate Santoso as well!

Link to Download Problems:
Marshmallow_FinalReviewFall19.pdf
(191.21 KiB) Downloaded 1494 times

***This is not indicative of the structure, length, or format of the actual final. Treat these as extra practice problems. ***

Extra practice:
Mini Marshmallows XD.pdf
(35.49 KiB) Downloaded 919 times


Errors: 1. Mini Marshmallows Q2A should be [Ni(NH3)3O]Br2, not [Ni(NH3)2O2]Br2
2. Mini Marshmallows Q2B should be dihydroxooxalatocobaltate (III) ion, not Dihydroxyoxalatocobalt (III) ion

Link for Answers:
Marshmallow_Answers.pdf
(559.39 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
Mini Marshmallows Answers.pdf
(40.41 KiB) Downloaded 711 times


Happy Studying and Good Luck!
-Lyndon Bui, UA

Jingyao Chen 4H
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jingyao Chen 4H » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:54 pm

For number 41(c), it asks which pair of atoms on thymine are most tightly bounded and why, between C=C, C=O, and C=N. However, O don’t see a C=N bond in the structure. Is there a mistake?

KBELTRAMI_1E
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby KBELTRAMI_1E » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

For number 4 how does the hybridization become sp2 if there are 4 p electrons and 2 s electrons?

Tiffany_Chen 2K
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Tiffany_Chen 2K » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm

For #31 should the name be ...nickel(III) ion? The complex has a 2+ charge.

Julia Mazzucato 4D
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Julia Mazzucato 4D » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 pm

KBELTRAMI_4I wrote:For number 4 how does the hybridization become sp2 if there are 4 p electrons and 2 s electrons?


Because you need three hybrid orbitals for this compound with three areas of electron density, there are 6 electrons to place in total.

Jingyao Chen 4H
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jingyao Chen 4H » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:55 pm

For #17, what does it mean by the “hybridization of each lone pair”? Is it supposed to be the hybridization of each central atom?

Jingyao Chen 4H
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jingyao Chen 4H » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:11 pm

For 21, how do we know oxidation number of Fe?

serenabirkhoff_1K
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby serenabirkhoff_1K » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:15 pm

KBELTRAMI_4I wrote:For number 4 how does the hybridization become sp2 if there are 4 p electrons and 2 s electrons?


If you draw the lewis structures you will see there are 3 regions of electron density around S, one lone pair and 2 bonds with 0. (remember a double bond still counts as one region of electron density). There are 3 regions and therefore it is sp2.

Marty Hockey
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Marty Hockey » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:40 pm

For number 20 how do we know whether the expected geometry of the compound is square planar or tetrahedral?

Rishika Yadav 3D
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Rishika Yadav 3D » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Marty Hockey wrote:For number 20 how do we know whether the expected geometry of the compound is square planar or tetrahedral?

I think that because there are no lone pairs on the Fe, it will be tetrahedral

Jessica Tejero 3L
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jessica Tejero 3L » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:30 pm

For number 21 what is the oxidation state of iron?

Alex Chen 2L
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Alex Chen 2L » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Rishika Yadav 3D wrote:I think that because there are no lone pairs on the Fe, it will be tetrahedral


It's different for coordination compounds. Since the porphyrin ligand binds to Fe four times at the corners of a square, the shape is actually square planar.

kevinchang_4I
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby kevinchang_4I » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Will the answers to the Minimarshmallows be posted? Thanks!

Hannah Romano 4D
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Hannah Romano 4D » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:37 pm

for 2b of mini marshmallows is the name spelt correctly? shouldnt it be Dihydroxo and not Dihydroxy ? maybe im just confused lol.

kevinchang_4I
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby kevinchang_4I » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Jessica Tejero 3L wrote:For number 21 what is the oxidation state of iron?


The oxidation state of iron will be 2+ because two of the nitrogens have lone pairs making their formal charges -1 each.

Paige Lee 1A
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Paige Lee 1A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:34 am

For #1c on mini marshmallow, how do you know to choose NH4+ and not NO3- for the net ionic equation? Since they're both weak acids and bases

JOtomo1F
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby JOtomo1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 am

Jingyao Chen 4H wrote:For number 41(c), it asks which pair of atoms on thymine are most tightly bounded and why, between C=C, C=O, and C=N. However, O don’t see a C=N bond in the structure. Is there a mistake?


I believe you're correct in saying that there is no double bond between carbon and nitrogen. You can still understand the point of this question though, in that the C and O are most tightly bound since oxygen is the smallest atom out of carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen.

JOtomo1F
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby JOtomo1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:41 am

Tiffany Chen 1K wrote:For #31 should the name be ...nickel(III) ion? The complex has a 2+ charge.


Yes, tonight Lyndon mentioned this was an error in the final review packet.

JOtomo1F
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby JOtomo1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:42 am

kevinchang_4I wrote:Will the answers to the Minimarshmallows be posted? Thanks!


I was also wondering how soon the answers would be posted.

Nikki Razal 1L
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:17 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Nikki Razal 1L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:13 am

for question 40c, how do you know whether o2 or o3 has the stronger bond and why?

Matthew Chan 1B
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Matthew Chan 1B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:33 am

For the Mini marshmallow worksheet, for problem 2, we are asked to write the name/formula for the coordination compound, etc.

in problem 2a, the coordination compound is [Ni(NH3)2O2]Br2. However, in the answer key, the compound is something completely different. I just wanted to check to see that given this coordination compound, the name would be: diamminedioxonickel(II) bromide. Thanks!

Rebecca Remple 1C
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 am

Hi there! Thank you so much for sharing these practice problems. I was wondering if the answer key to the regular worksheet will be posted soon? I was not able to make the session but have been working on the problems, so I would love to be able to refer to it. Thank you!

Ashley Osorio
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Ashley Osorio » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:15 am

How would one phrase number 36C?? Also, 36B is both Amphoteric and amphiprotic, right?

Haley Dveirin 1E
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Haley Dveirin 1E » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:38 am

When will the marshmallow answer key be posted?

zfinn
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby zfinn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:59 am

Ashley Osorio wrote:How would one phrase number 36C?? Also, 36B is both Amphoteric and amphiprotic, right?


" the atoms that give glycine these properties are the N, with a lone pair that can accept a proton, and the -COOH, which can donate a proton." and for 36b it is both!

Aprice_1J
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Aprice_1J » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 pm

For mini marshmallows 2c, why is it cupperate instead of copper? Isn't it a +1 oxidation state?

Joanne Kang 3I
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:50 pm

min marshmallows 1c... why isn't it neutral?

Jared Khoo 1G
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jared Khoo 1G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Aprice_1J wrote:For mini marshmallows 2c, why is it cupperate instead of copper? Isn't it a +1 oxidation state?


The coordination complex has a 1- charge, so it is cuprate. This is shown because it forms an ionic bond with potassium which has a +1 charge, so you know the coordination complex must have a -1 charge. The transition metal will always have a positive oxidation state so don't look at that.

Lauren Haight 1E
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:15 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Lauren Haight 1E » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:52 pm

for mini marshmallow 2b, why is the coordination number for Dihydroxoyoxolatocobalt (III) 4? Is it because oxalato is bidentate and can attach to cobalt at two places?
Last edited by Lauren Haight 1E on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Kang 3I
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Ashley Osorio wrote:How would one phrase number 36C?? Also, 36B is both Amphoteric and amphiprotic, right?

Yes.

Jared Khoo 1G
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jared Khoo 1G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Joanne Kang 3I wrote:min marshmallows 1c... why isn't it neutral?


ammonium is a conjugate acid of a weak base, so it will lower pH by giving a proton (H+) to water to form hydronium.

Jared Khoo 1G
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jared Khoo 1G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Lauren Haight 1E wrote:for mini marshmallow 2b, why is the coordination number for Dihydroxoyoxolatocobalt (III) 4?


Oxalate is BIdentate, so it will form 2 coordinate covalent bonds. Add this to the two bonds made to hydroxide and the coordination number is 4.

Joanne Kang 3I
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:55 pm

For mini marshmallows 2b, why is the coordination number 4?

Joanne Kang 3I
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Paige Lee 1D wrote:For #1c on mini marshmallow, how do you know to choose NH4+ and not NO3- for the net ionic equation? Since they're both weak acids and bases


NO3- is the conjugate base of a STRONG acid, so NO3- is very stable/does not affect the pH.
The only thing affecting pH then would be NH4+ producing H3O+

Deana Moghaddas 3E
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Deana Moghaddas 3E » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:21 pm

when will original marshmallow practice's answers be posted

MeeraBhagat
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby MeeraBhagat » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Tiffany Chen 1K wrote:For #31 should the name be ...nickel(III) ion? The complex has a 2+ charge.


Yes I think it should be "ion" since its a positively charged molecule

kim 2I
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby kim 2I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Joanne Kang 3I wrote:For mini marshmallows 2b, why is the coordination number 4?


Oxalate is a bidentate so it would bind to the central TM in two places making the coordination 4 (2 binding spots for oxalate and 2 from the hydroxide ions).

MeeraBhagat
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby MeeraBhagat » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Lauren Haight 1E wrote:for mini marshmallow 2b, why is the coordination number for Dihydroxoyoxolatocobalt (III) 4? Is it because oxalato is bidentate and can attach to cobalt at two places?


Yes, it is because oxalato is bidentate.

MeeraBhagat
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby MeeraBhagat » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Nikki Razal 4E wrote:for question 40c, how do you know whether o2 or o3 has the stronger bond and why?


o3 has resonance, which is stabilizing because the electrons are delocalized and makes the bonds stronger.

Ruby Richter 2L
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Ruby Richter 2L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:08 pm

For number 21) you need to essentially "give back" an electron pair to the ligands bonded to the central atom to find their formal charge. Does this apply to all ligands and coordination compounds? Like B12 for example?

TimVintsDis4L
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby TimVintsDis4L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Does anyone know where the answers to the practice are since its well over the time they were supposed to be posted?

Celena Kim 2I
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Celena Kim 2I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:28 pm

When will the answers for the final review packet be posted?

Aadil Rehan 1D
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Aadil Rehan 1D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Ruby Richter 4G wrote:For number 21) you need to essentially "give back" an electron pair to the ligands bonded to the central atom to find their formal charge. Does this apply to all ligands and coordination compounds? Like B12 for example?


I would assume so, but for the dashed-line bonds. For B12, a few websites have mentioned that the most common state is cobalt (III), and if you observe the structure of B12 and "take back" those dashed-line bonds, you're left with an oxidation state of 3+. For chlorophyll, the central magnesium atom usually prefers magnesium (II), and if you "take back" its two dashed-line bonds you have an oxidation state of 2+.

mayarivers3I
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby mayarivers3I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Jingyao Chen 4H wrote:For #17, what does it mean by the “hybridization of each lone pair”? Is it supposed to be the hybridization of each central atom?

Can someone answer this please! I am wondering the same thing.

Hannah Romano 4D
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Hannah Romano 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:01 pm

when are the answers for marshmallows being posted???

Annie Chantasirivisal_4G
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Annie Chantasirivisal_4G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 pm

mayarivers3I wrote:
Jingyao Chen 4H wrote:For #17, what does it mean by the “hybridization of each lone pair”? Is it supposed to be the hybridization of each central atom?

Can someone answer this please! I am wondering the same thing.


Hybridization of lone pairs can be determined by looking at the atom that the lone pairs are attached to. Thus, for example, the lone pairs of oxygen at the top where there's one double bond and two lone pairs would have a total of 3 regions of electron density, and its hybridization would be written as O(sp^2), while the oxygen at the bottom right attached to C-O-CH3 would have two single bonds and 2 lone pairs for a total of 4 regions of electron density, and its hybridization would thus be written as O(sp^3).

Kaitlynn Tran 3F
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Kaitlynn Tran 3F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:17 pm

Nikki Razal 4E wrote:for question 40c, how do you know whether o2 or o3 has the stronger bond and why?


O3 is polar because the dipoles do not cancel out, so there are dipole-dipole intermolecular forces. The resonance due to the double bond also would cause it to have a stronger bond than O2.

Jedrick Zablan 3L
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jedrick Zablan 3L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Lyndon, I want to see the video you were trying to show during the review. Pls post it king.

ZevMarx-Kahn3C
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby ZevMarx-Kahn3C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Hannah Romano 4D wrote:when are the answers for marshmallows being posted???


I'd also love to know!

Ashley R 1A
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Ashley R 1A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:43 pm

For number 21, how would you find the oxidation state for the central Fe atom, when it should typically only be around +1 to +3, when there are so many negatively charged anions around it?

Grecia Velasco 4D
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Grecia Velasco 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:44 pm

ZevMarx-Kahn3C wrote:
Hannah Romano 4D wrote:when are the answers for marshmallows being posted???


I'd also love to know!


Fellas, i gotta feeling it's either gonna be really late at night or tomorrow morning. Fluoride ion (F-) in the chemistry community thread.

Julieta Serobyan4D
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Julieta Serobyan4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Lauren Haight 1E wrote:for mini marshmallow 2b, why is the coordination number for Dihydroxoyoxolatocobalt (III) 4? Is it because oxalato is bidentate and can attach to cobalt at two places?

Yes for bidentate ligands there are considered two separate binding sites.

Junxi Feng 3B
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Junxi Feng 3B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Where is the answer for the Marshmallow Practice???

Annie Chantasirivisal_4G
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Annie Chantasirivisal_4G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Hey guys, he just posted marshmallow answers rn. posting in case anyone has it bookmarked/subscribed.

Rishika Yadav 3D
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Rishika Yadav 3D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:16 pm

For number 21, why is Fe 2+? I remember him saying in the review that it was because of the nitrogen bonds, but I don't remember why.

Jacey Yang 1F
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jacey Yang 1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Nikki Razal 4E wrote:for question 40c, how do you know whether o2 or o3 has the stronger bond and why?


o2 has double bonds that are shorter and therefore stronger than the o3 bonds, which is between a single and double bond due to resonance.

ZevMarx-Kahn3C
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby ZevMarx-Kahn3C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Annie Chantasirivisal_4I wrote:Hey guys, he just posted marshmallow answers rn. posting in case anyone has it bookmarked/subscribed.


Thank you!

Jacey Yang 1F
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Jacey Yang 1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:24 pm

For mini marshmallow 2c, why is the coordination number for K[Cu(en)2(CN)2] 6?

Adam Kramer 1A
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Adam Kramer 1A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:25 pm

kevinchang_4I wrote:
Jessica Tejero 3L wrote:For number 21 what is the oxidation state of iron?


The oxidation state of iron will be 2+ because two of the nitrogens have lone pairs making their formal charges -1 each.


Which two nitrogens have this formal charge? I am having trouble seeing this.

Kayla Maldonado 1C
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Joanne Kang 3I wrote:min marshmallows 1c... why isn't it neutral?

NH4+ donates a proton and H20 accepts a proton, therefore NH4+is acidic.

TimVintsDis4L
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby TimVintsDis4L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Can someone please explain how to do #34. I know that you find the moles then use the excess moles and find the pH using that, but my math doesn't add up.

Hannah Romano 4D
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Hannah Romano 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:06 pm

for question 41d) Doesn't thymine have 10 atoms that could form hydrogen bonds? all 6 hydrogens, both nitrogens, and both oxygens. Technically if the question was asking for how many HYDROGEN BONDS can form not just how many ATOMS, wouldn't it be 12 h-bonds because each oxygen can for 2 h-bonds?

Hannah Romano 4D
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Hannah Romano 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:13 pm

TimVintsDis3C wrote:Can someone please explain how to do #34. I know that you find the moles then use the excess moles and find the pH using that, but my math doesn't add up.


When HCl and CaO are accidentally mixed in the flask, they will react to form salt and water making the following equation: 2HCl + CaO ---> CaCl2 + H2O. Knowing this, find the limiting reactant that was poured into the the flask. (Its CaO) so that means that HCl will be in excess in the solution. Use the previous equation to find how much HCl was consumed (remember that the stoichiometric ratio of CaO to 2HCl) then subtract the consumed HCl from the total HCl. Then you will have the concentration of the excess HCl which is then full dissociated in the solution because HCl is a strong acid so you can just take the negative log of this excess concentration and you will get pH=2.28.

TimVintsDis4L
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby TimVintsDis4L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Hannah Romano 4D wrote:
TimVintsDis3C wrote:Can someone please explain how to do #34. I know that you find the moles then use the excess moles and find the pH using that, but my math doesn't add up.


When HCl and CaO are accidentally mixed in the flask, they will react to form salt and water making the following equation: 2HCl + CaO ---> CaCl2 + H2O. Knowing this, find the limiting reactant that was poured into the the flask. (Its CaO) so that means that HCl will be in excess in the solution. Use the previous equation to find how much HCl was consumed (remember that the stoichiometric ratio of CaO to 2HCl) then subtract the consumed HCl from the total HCl. Then you will have the concentration of the excess HCl which is then full dissociated in the solution because HCl is a strong acid so you can just take the negative log of this excess concentration and you will get pH=2.28.


I end up with .005248 mol of HCL and .002648 mol of CaO, which equates to an excess of .0026. Once I plug that in I get 2.7. So which of these numbers is wrong?

Hannah Romano 4D
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Hannah Romano 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:32 pm

TimVintsDis3C wrote:
Hannah Romano 4D wrote:
TimVintsDis3C wrote:Can someone please explain how to do #34. I know that you find the moles then use the excess moles and find the pH using that, but my math doesn't add up.


When HCl and CaO are accidentally mixed in the flask, they will react to form salt and water making the following equation: 2HCl + CaO ---> CaCl2 + H2O. Knowing this, find the limiting reactant that was poured into the the flask. (Its CaO) so that means that HCl will be in excess in the solution. Use the previous equation to find how much HCl was consumed (remember that the stoichiometric ratio of CaO to 2HCl) then subtract the consumed HCl from the total HCl. Then you will have the concentration of the excess HCl which is then full dissociated in the solution because HCl is a strong acid so you can just take the negative log of this excess concentration and you will get pH=2.28.


I end up with .005248 mol of HCL and .002648 mol of CaO, which equates to an excess of .0026. Once I plug that in I get 2.7. So which of these numbers is wrong?


Okay so what you've found is when the 0.0026 mol of CaO are completely consumed along with 0.0052 mol of HCl. Because you originally had 0.0104 mol of HCl poured into the flask: 0.0104total-0.0052consumed=0.0052excess HCl. Then -log(0.0052)= 2.28. Hope this helped.

TimVintsDis4L
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby TimVintsDis4L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Hannah Romano 4D wrote:
TimVintsDis3C wrote:
Hannah Romano 4D wrote:
When HCl and CaO are accidentally mixed in the flask, they will react to form salt and water making the following equation: 2HCl + CaO ---> CaCl2 + H2O. Knowing this, find the limiting reactant that was poured into the the flask. (Its CaO) so that means that HCl will be in excess in the solution. Use the previous equation to find how much HCl was consumed (remember that the stoichiometric ratio of CaO to 2HCl) then subtract the consumed HCl from the total HCl. Then you will have the concentration of the excess HCl which is then full dissociated in the solution because HCl is a strong acid so you can just take the negative log of this excess concentration and you will get pH=2.28.


I end up with .005248 mol of HCL and .002648 mol of CaO, which equates to an excess of .0026. Once I plug that in I get 2.7. So which of these numbers is wrong?


Okay so what you've found is when the 0.0026 mol of CaO are completely consumed along with 0.0052 mol of HCl. Because you originally had 0.0104 mol of HCl poured into the flask: 0.0104total-0.0052consumed=0.0052excess HCl. Then -log(0.0052)= 2.28. Hope this helped.


That makes so much more sense, thank you very much!

Ashley R 1A
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Ashley R 1A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:48 pm

for marshmallow 41d) which six atoms can form hydrogen bonds? for this problem, are we supposed to not include the hydrogens that could bind to the lone pairs on other molecules. Or are we supposed to count two lone pairs (like how there's two lone pairs on the double bonded oxygen) as two atoms?

Annie Chantasirivisal_4G
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Annie Chantasirivisal_4G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Jacey Yang 3I wrote:For mini marshmallow 2c, why is the coordination number for K[Cu(en)2(CN)2] 6?


It is six because en is a bidentate, so it will bind at two areas; since there are two en, that would mean 4 binding sites, in addition to the 2 cyanides, for a total of 6 bonds bound to copper, thus coordination number 6.

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Jacey Yang 3I wrote:
Nikki Razal 4E wrote:for question 40c, how do you know whether o2 or o3 has the stronger bond and why?


o2 has double bonds that are shorter and therefore stronger than the o3 bonds, which is between a single and double bond due to resonance.


So then is the stronger bond O2 because in a way O3 has like an average bond strength between a single and double bond since it has resonance? So the double bond in O2 is stronger than that average? I'm just confused because some people were saying it was O3 that was stronger because it was more stable with its resonance.

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm

In the marshmallow packet, for question 28, for example, would it be acceptable to write (en) instead of the full name: ethylenediammine or do we need to write out the full name to get credit?

Ariana Iranmahboub1G
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Ariana Iranmahboub1G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm

For number 22 why can myoglobin bind to two O2 molecules?
In my notes from the lecture, Fe binds to only 1 02 since the heme complex and a protein results in Myoglobin, so how would myoglobin bind to two O2?

Rebecca Remple 1C
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION  [ENDORSED]

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi all,

I was going through the final review packet and have been having trouble understanding part of problem 17. In the problem, it asks us to draw C5H5NO2 and label all of the sigma and pi bonds. I understand most of the question, but one of the pi bonds is troubling me. Near the top of the molecule, a carbon is bonded to an oxygen which has two lone pairs. The sigma bond notation makes sense, but the pi bond says it is (O2p, C2sp2). In all other pi bond examples, both molecules' hybridization is just "p", such as (C2p, N2p). What makes this oxygen and carbon different? Why does this carbon break the trends? I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you for reading this and good luck on the final!

-Rebecca

Johnathan Smith 1D
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Johnathan Smith 1D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Can someone explain how to get the pH for 34. I got the moles of each compound but can’t seem to get the overall pH.

Rebecca Remple 1C
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Johnathan Smith 1D wrote:Can someone explain how to get the pH for 34. I got the moles of each compound but can’t seem to get the overall pH.

Hi Jonathan,

Using the moles for CaO and HCl, you can determine how many moles of OH- and H+ are produced. You need to write out the equations in water to do so. Note that 2 moles of OH- are produced per molecule of CaO. Using these measurements, you can determine the net change in protons. H+ and OH- cancel out, so you can subtract [H+] - [OH-]. This will give you a smaller value for [H+], which you can plug into the equation for ph (-log[H+]). This will give you your final answer. I hope this helps! Good luck tomorrow :)

-Rebecca

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18739
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 635 times

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Rebecca Remple 1J wrote:Hi all,

I was going through the final review packet and have been having trouble understanding part of problem 17. In the problem, it asks us to draw C5H5NO2 and label all of the sigma and pi bonds. I understand most of the question, but one of the pi bonds is troubling me. Near the top of the molecule, a carbon is bonded to an oxygen which has two lone pairs. The sigma bond notation makes sense, but the pi bond says it is (O2p, C2sp2). In all other pi bond examples, both molecules' hybridization is just "p", such as (C2p, N2p). What makes this oxygen and carbon different? Why does this carbon break the trends? I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you for reading this and good luck on the final!

-Rebecca


You are correct Rebecca, it should say 2p insteaed of 2sp2

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18739
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 635 times

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Jedrick Zablan 3L wrote:Lyndon, I want to see the video you were trying to show during the review. Pls post it king.


It was baby groot dancing! Opening scene of guardians of the galaxy. Love it. I actually played it at the end once most people had left, it was quite fun. Next time maybe!

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18739
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 635 times

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Ariana Iranmahboub 3G wrote:For number 22 why can myoglobin bind to two O2 molecules?
In my notes from the lecture, Fe binds to only 1 02 since the heme complex and a protein results in Myoglobin, so how would myoglobin bind to two O2?

It only binds 1 O2 molecule!

Rebecca Remple 1C
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Hey again,

In Mini Marshmallows 1C, why does the NO3- in NH4NO3 not participate in the reaction with water, but NH4+ does? I just want to make sure I understand this conceptually before the final. Thank you!

-Rebecca

Elizabeth Harty 1A
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Elizabeth Harty 1A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:15 pm

How do you do number 34?

Andrea_Torres
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Andrea_Torres » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 pm

In number 34 in the packet to get the molOH we multiplied the Mol of CaO times 2 mol OH why was it 2 mol of OH but H+ was only one?

Rita Chen 1B
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:35 pm

Wait how do you know whether a coordination compound is a chelate? For example, how do you know that [Ni(NH3)2O2]Br2 is not a chelate?

Grecia Velasco 4D
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Grecia Velasco 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Are we supposed to know how to hybridize lone pairs? Because during class, Lavelle said no but its in marshmallows so im not sure.

Labiba Sardar 2A
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Labiba Sardar 2A » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm

For 20, why is the expected geometry tetrahedral and square planar?

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18739
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 635 times

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Rebecca Remple 1J wrote:In Mini Marshmallows 1C, why does the NO3- in NH4NO3 not participate in the reaction with water, but NH4+ does? I just want to make sure I understand this conceptually before the final. Thank you!


Answer: HNO3 is a strong acid. Since its conjugate base is NO3-, that tells us that NO3- does not accept protons and therefore does not react with protons and will not affect pH.

Labiba Sardar 1C wrote:For 20, why is the expected geometry tetrahedral and square planar?


Answer: For coordination compounds, if the coordination number is 4, it can be either tetrahedral or square planar and you are not expected to know which it will be.

Rita Chen 1C wrote:Wait how do you know whether a coordination compound is a chelate? For example, how do you know that [Ni(NH3)2O2]Br2 is not a chelate?


Answer: Compounds with polydentate ligands will be chelates.

MMckinney_4H
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby MMckinney_4H » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:11 pm

For number 34, why are two moles of OH produced for every mole of CaO?

Connor Ho 1B
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Connor Ho 1B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:19 pm

MMckinney_4H wrote:For number 34, why are two moles of OH produced for every mole of CaO?


CaO completely disassociates in water so:

CaO = Ca+ + O2-

If this were to further react in water, Ca+ would stay disassociated, however

O2- + H2O = 2OH-

after the equation is balanced.

Annie Chantasirivisal_4G
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Annie Chantasirivisal_4G » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 pm

MMckinney_4H wrote:For number 34, why are two moles of OH produced for every mole of CaO?


CaO separates into Ca^2+ and O^2-, and O^2- can be added with H2O to form 2OH-, thus 1 mole of CaO ends up producing 2 moles of OH-.

AndreiRekesh1I
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby AndreiRekesh1I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Paige Lee 1D wrote:For #1c on mini marshmallow, how do you know to choose NH4+ and not NO3- for the net ionic equation? Since they're both weak acids and bases


H + NO3 becomes HNO3, which is a strong acid and would be more inclined to dissociate completely rather than be put together (the equation would make more sense going the other way).

SarahSteffen_LEC4
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby SarahSteffen_LEC4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:35 pm

On question number 21 of the Marshmallow review. Why does iron have a +2 charge if two of the nitrogens on the porphyrin ligand have a +1 charge?

Connor Ho 1B
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Connor Ho 1B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm

SarahSteffen_LEC4 wrote:On question number 21 of the Marshmallow review. Why does iron have a +2 charge if two of the nitrogens on the porphyrin ligand have a +1 charge?


The two nitrogens actually have a -1 charge, not +1.

Naren_Ramesh_4F
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:18 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Naren_Ramesh_4F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:43 pm

On question 2b of the mini marshmallow, does the order of the ligand in the coordination complex matter?

Grecia Velasco 4D
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Grecia Velasco 4D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Naren_Ramesh_4D wrote:On question 2b of the mini marshmallow, does the order of the ligand in the coordination complex matter?


I don't think so BUT its good to go in order just in case :)

Kayla Maldonado 1C
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:49 pm

#16 why is the trigonal planar shape considered nonpolar, how did we determine this ?

CNourian2H
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby CNourian2H » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Naren_Ramesh_4D wrote:On question 2b of the mini marshmallow, does the order of the ligand in the coordination complex matter?


I dont think so

order of ligands matters in writing the name- alphabetical order
not in writing formula

Kayla Maldonado 1C
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:16 am
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:27 pm

CHo_3I wrote:
SarahSteffen_LEC4 wrote:On question number 21 of the Marshmallow review. Why does iron have a +2 charge if two of the nitrogens on the porphyrin ligand have a +1 charge?


The two nitrogens actually have a -1 charge, not +1.


How is the charge for the nitrogens -1?

205150314
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby 205150314 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 pm

For mini marshmallow 2c why does Potassium dicyanobis(ethylenediamine)cuprate (I) have a coordination number of 6? doesnnt it only have 4 atoms around it? or does the chelating ligand add more.

205150314
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby 205150314 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Kayla Maldonado 1A wrote:
CHo_3I wrote:
SarahSteffen_LEC4 wrote:On question number 21 of the Marshmallow review. Why does iron have a +2 charge if two of the nitrogens on the porphyrin ligand have a +1 charge?


The two nitrogens actually have a -1 charge, not +1.


How is the charge for the nitrogens -1?


I believe its -1 because of the 4 Bonds (2 single, 1 double) plus the lone pairs (2) make it be 5-6 for the formal charge .
I heard the dotted line counts

205150314
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby 205150314 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 pm

could someone explain #34 on marshmallow to me? Is the solution basic or acidic and why? How do we know whether it'll be acidic or basic

MeeraBhagat
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby MeeraBhagat » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 pm

Kayla Maldonado 1A wrote:#16 why is the trigonal planar shape considered nonpolar, how did we determine this ?


The problem mentioned that the "X" in the AX3 were all the same atoms. Their dipole moments would therefore cancel and the molecule would be nonpolar.

Sofia Barker 2C
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: MARSHMALLOW- FINAL REVIEW SESSION

Postby Sofia Barker 2C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Joanne Kang 3I wrote:For mini marshmallows 2b, why is the coordination number 4?


The coordination number is 4 because C2O4 is bidentate, which means that it will bind to the transition metal at two sites. These two binding sites along with the bonds formed by the two OH- molecules add up to four total bonds.


Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests