Any Givens During the Final?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Reina Robles 2B

Any Givens During the Final?

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:11 pm

During the final, will we be given any information for naming coordinate compounds? (ex: what abbreviations would mean, ion charges, etc.)

ishaa Diwakar 4E

Re: Any Givens During the Final?

Postby ishaa Diwakar 4E » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:44 pm

I am pretty sure the only givens are those we have seen on the midterm and tests. You may be able to ask about abbreviations as long as they are not on the periodic table/have been explained in class. It would be best to memorize ion charges, but worst case you can calculate the formal charges of polyatomic ions using their lewis structures.

serenabirkhoff_1K

Postby serenabirkhoff_1K » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:41 pm

I think that we will be given the same information on the final as the tests and midterms. For learning how to name the coordination compounds, Dr. Lavelle posted a sheet for this on his page, which I think we must memorize/learn for the final. Here is the sheet. https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... pounds.pdf

Reina Robles 2B

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 am

Thank you both!

ishaa Diwakar 4E wrote:I am pretty sure the only givens are those we have seen on the midterm and tests. You may be able to ask about abbreviations as long as they are not on the periodic table/have been explained in class. It would be best to memorize ion charges, but worst case you can calculate the formal charges of polyatomic ions using their lewis structures.

And thanks for the tip, I was worried about what to do if I forgot the charge of a ligand.

Oduwole 1E

Postby Oduwole 1E » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 pm

There will probably be the periodic table, and a sheet with constants and equations just like the others tests.

Return to “Naming”