Comparing K and Q

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Leslie Almaraz 4G

Comparing K and Q

Postby Leslie Almaraz 4G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:20 pm

When would we have to compare K and Q values to each other? Does this give us information about the reaction as it is happening?

Ami_Pant_4G

Re: Comparing K and Q

Postby Ami_Pant_4G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:27 pm

Knowing whether Q in relation to K would tell you at what point the reaction is at. For example, if Q is less than K you would know that it is at a pre-equilibrium state for the forward reaction because the concentration of reactants is higher than the concentration of products. And in terms of when would we have to compare the two, my guess would be that a problem would tell you K of a certain reaction and provide concentrations of the products and reactant and ask you what stage the reaction is in, or something along those lines. Hope this helps.

Tyler Angtuaco 1G

Postby Tyler Angtuaco 1G » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:55 am

When the equilibrium concentrations or pressures are not given, we need to calculate Q to determine whether the forward or reverse reaction is favored.

Justin Quan 4I

Postby Justin Quan 4I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:13 am

To add on, since Q is the relative ratio of products to reactants at a given instant, you know the reaction shifts right if Q<K and shifts left if Q>K.When Q=K, the reaction is at equilibrium.

Renee Grange 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Renee Grange 1I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 am

We can compare K and Q values to see if a reaction has reached equilibrium or not. If Q < K, the forward reaction is still favored, and we have to wait longer for the reaction to reach equilibrium; [R] > [P] . If Q > K, the reverse reaction is favored; [P] > [R].

rohun2H

Postby rohun2H » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am

Q can give us an indication of the reaction in that it can identify whether the forward or reverse reaction is favored in order to reach equilibrium at a given moment.

Ivan Tadeja 1G

Postby Ivan Tadeja 1G » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 am

We must calculate Q in order to tell us where in the reaction we are. We compare the Q value to K and we can determine which way the reaction is favored, or if they are equal, then reaction is at equilibrium.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”