Q

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

josmit_1D

Q

Postby josmit_1D » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:36 am

what does the reaction quotient tells us about the equilibrium reaction?

jisulee1C

Re: Q

Postby jisulee1C » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:42 am

If Q is less than K at some point during the reaction, then the forward reaction is favored while if Q is greater than K at some point during the reaction, the reverse reaction is favored.

Wilson 2E

Postby Wilson 2E » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 am

Q taken at any point when the reaction is not at equilibrium indicates the direction that will be favored by the reaction. If Q is less than Kc, then there is an excess of reactants, and product will be created to balance that amount out. The same goes vice versa if Q is greater than Kc leading to more reactant being formed.

Kimberly Koo 2I

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 am

Comparing the reaction quotient to K tells us which direction of the reaction is favored. So if Q>K then the reverse reaction is favored since this means that there are more products than reactants in the nonequilibrium concentration Q. If Q<K, then the forward reaction is favored since this means that there are more reactants than products in the nonequilibirum concentration Q.

Helen Struble 2F

Postby Helen Struble 2F » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:24 pm

The reaction quotient tells us which direction the reaction will proceed to reach equilibrium. If Q<K, then there are less products than would be found in the equilibrium reaction so the reaction proceeds in the forward direction. By the same logic, if Q>K, then there are more products than would be found in the equilibrium reaction so the reaction proceeds in the reverse direction.

Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I

Postby Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm

If Q < K, then there are not enough product, so reaction goes forward.
If Q>K, then there are not enough reactants, to reaction goes backward.

Emily Lo 1J

Postby Emily Lo 1J » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 pm

It tells us whether there is more reactant or product during the reaction. And with that, it can determine whether a forward or reverse reaction is favored. So if Q is smaller than K, then there is more reactant than product, resulting in favoring a forward reaction. If K is smaller than Q, then there is more product than reactant, resulting in favoring a reverse reaction.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”