Solid and Liquid

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Junwei Sun 4I

Solid and Liquid

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 pm

Why is it that when we write the expression for K we don't include solid and liquid? Is it because their concentration does not change or is it that the change is insignificant? Also for solid and liquid do we always write them as 1 in the equilibrium expression?

Hannah Romeo 1J

Re: Solid and Liquid

Postby Hannah Romeo 1J » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Solids and liquids are not included in the K expression as they do not change their concentrations in a reaction as they are pure substances. Essentially, their value is 1 resulting in the K expression only including aqueous solutions.

Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k

Postby Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:12 pm

You are correct that that the concentration change is insignificant. You definitely need some of the solid and liquid to make the product, but the concentration difference is negligible.

Kishan Shah 2G

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Yes, the concentration change of solids and liquids is insignificant. If you think about it, if they do not affect the concentrations of reactants/products, then they serve no purpose in the equilibrium constant.

Mariah

Postby Mariah » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Hannah Romeo 1J wrote:Solids and liquids are not included in the K expression as they do not change their concentrations in a reaction as they are pure substances. Essentially, their value is 1 resulting in the K expression only including aqueous solutions.

As well as gases!!

VLi_2B

Postby VLi_2B » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:07 pm

Mariah wrote:
Hannah Romeo 1J wrote:Solids and liquids are not included in the K expression as they do not change their concentrations in a reaction as they are pure substances. Essentially, their value is 1 resulting in the K expression only including aqueous solutions.

As well as gases!!

Wait, I thought gases were included in the K expression... Can someone reexplain this to me?

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”