Studying tips

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LeAirraBullingor2k

Studying tips

Postby LeAirraBullingor2k » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:05 pm

Can anyone offer any studying tips for test 1 that has work for 14A?

Jack Riley 4f

Re: Studying tips

Postby Jack Riley 4f » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:06 pm

Do every hw problem on the syllabus

Nohemi Garcia 1L

Postby Nohemi Garcia 1L » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 pm

Definitely do more than the required amount of homework assignments to get a broader sense of the topic, peer learning sessions, and studying with friends helps a lot.

There are plenty of office hours so don't be afraid to go there, especially since we are able to go to all TA hours. Another thing that could work is making your own worksheets or explaining topics to others in study groups. This helped me out a lot because teaching things to others was how I was able to cement information.

Also, for last quarter (14A), Lavelle and the TA's uploaded a worksheet with practice questions for both the midterm and final, which also adds further studying material. I'm pretty sure they will do that again for this quarter, but I would ask just to make sure.

CalvinTNguyen2D

Postby CalvinTNguyen2D » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Hey! Here's some things that worked for me last quarter;

Doing every single hw problem on the syllabus. They're all fantastic review of concepts and things that will be on the test, and some problems will be the exact same on these tests, midterms, and finals.
Visiting chem community and browsing through the forums: it's great for reviewing questions and concepts, and sometimes Prof. Lavelle will even drop in to answer some good questions. You might even have some questions answered that you didn't even know you had!
Go to review sessions. It's even more reinforcement for concepts that you'll need, and some TAs might even have worksheets for you to work with and practice!
Read the textbook. If you don't understand something in the lecture, the textbook usually provides great explanations to better understand what you're confused on.

Hope this helps!

Dan M -3E

Postby Dan M -3E » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Also make sure you look at the syllabus and which chapters of the textbook are in each topic that we've learned about so you can make sure you're studying the right things.

gconcha

Postby gconcha » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Definitely do all of the homework problems assigned in the syllabus. It's too easy to sorta phone it in and only do 5 for the homework. My suggestion is to do all of them, then choose the 5 that you think were the best or that you were the most proud of yourself for doing.

Also, remember to use all of the resources that Lavelle has made available to us like the workshops and step-up sessions. That and office hours are two great ways to improve your comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.

Julie_Reyes1B

Postby Julie_Reyes1B » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:31 pm

I feel like really interacting with Chemistry Community makes a difference. It’s easy to answer 5 questions to fill the quota each week but I’ve found it is such a helpful resource to browse and use whenever possible. For me, answering questions helps reinforce how well I understand it. Beyond that, I agree with everyone else that doing every single homework problem really helps you learn the topics. Also, I check off each of the bullet points on the “You should be able to:” list on each outline to make sure I can do each thing.

Mandeep Garcha 2H

Postby Mandeep Garcha 2H » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 pm

I feel that doing ALL of the homework problems assigned are the most helpful because they allow you to know what your strong and weak points are, and how to solve the problems.

kim 2I

Postby kim 2I » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:27 pm

Actually doing the modules are helpful as well! Watch the videos and at the very least, take the post-assessments.

Naneeta Desar 1K

Postby Naneeta Desar 1K » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Review your notes at the end of every week to stay on top of the content!

Kishan Shah 2G

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:24 pm

I would recommend you read the textbook, complete all the HW problems, revisit your lecture notes, and browse Chemistry Community. If you do these things well you will be prepared for the test.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”