Hw 5J.11

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amy Luu 2G

Hw 5J.11

Postby Amy Luu 2G » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Predict whether each of the following equilibria will shift toward products or reactants with a temperature increase:
a) N2O4(g) 2NO2(g), H°= +57 kJ
c) Ni(s) + 4CO(g) Ni(CO)4(g), H° -161 kJ

I am confused on how to determine whether the reaction is endothermic or exothermic. For a, since delta H is +57 kJ, I thought this meant that there is an increase in temperature of the environment and therefore must be an exothermic reaction since the reaction would be releasing heat/energy. I had the same thought process for c where I thought it was an endothermic reaction since there is a decrease in energy/heat so I assumed the reaction absorbed heat. Please clarify, thank you!

vpena_1I

Re: Hw 5J.11

Postby vpena_1I » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:48 pm

It is the other way around. A positive delta H corresponds to an endothermic reaction in which the products formed have greater energy than the reactants. Energy can be thought of as a reactant in this case, which explains why an increase in heat will result in greater product formation.

ELu 1J

Re: Hw 5J.11

Postby ELu 1J » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm

I think you just have to memorize that if delta H is negative, the reaction is exothermic and if delta H is positive, the reaction is endothermic.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”