Bond Enthalpies with State Changes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Kammerer 2B

Bond Enthalpies with State Changes

Postby Payton Kammerer 2B » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:06 pm

I am a little bit confused as to when I should include phase change enthalpies in my delta H calculations. From the lecture, I would think that it is only included when the state change involves a gas, and not when it is between a liquid and a solid. This doesn't make sense to me, so I'm wondering if anyone can either 1) clarify for me what was actually meant or 2) explain why only vaporization and sublimation enthalpies should be included, but not melting.

Maia_Jackson_2C

Re: Bond Enthalpies with State Changes

Postby Maia_Jackson_2C » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Are you talking about what we covered in lecture on Friday or Wednesday?

DLee_1L

Postby DLee_1L » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:10 pm

I think Professor Lavelle mentioned phase changes in delta H calculations because the table of bond enthalpies refers to breaking bonds for gases, so you would need to calculate phase change in order to find delta H via bond enthalpies.

Suraj Doshi 2G

Postby Suraj Doshi 2G » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 pm

All the state change enthalpies must be included. I believe Professor Lavelle was simply mentioning that the table given in the textbook gives enthalpies for gases, however if a reaction has another type of state change we must take that also into account.

Alex Chen 2L

Postby Alex Chen 2L » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes you must take a solid to liquid phase change into account if it appears in a chemical reaction. It is called the Enthalpy of fusion or melting.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”