State Properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alice Chang 2H

State Properties

Postby Alice Chang 2H » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:12 pm

What exactly is a state property? I wrote it was a value determined by its current state, but I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean like the amount of energy being carried while in that state (e.g., liquid, solid, gas, etc.)?

Kimberly Koo 2I

Re: State Properties

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:16 pm

A state property is a property where its value does not depend on the path taken to get to its current state. In class Lavelle explained how the properties can be added or subtracted, since the value only depends on the first state and the last state.

MinuChoi

Postby MinuChoi » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 pm

A state property is determined only by the "start" and "finish" values of a process.
Basic example: If I walk 5m forward, then walk backward 2m, I am 3m forward from my original staring point. This displacement would be the same if I simply walked 3m forward; or if I walked 500m forward, then backward 600m, then forward 103m. So displacement is a state property.

Ritu Gaikwad 2E

Postby Ritu Gaikwad 2E » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:29 pm

A state property can be described with something like enthalpy, which describes the ending and the starting states but there is no relevance of the process of how fast the reactant makes the product.

Frank He 4G

Postby Frank He 4G » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Think about it this way (using the mountain example we went over in class): the distance we traveled to get to an altitude depends on whether we took a shorter or longer route. That means it's a path function, since we'd have to factor in how long their route was and can't simply take the final and initial values to calculate it. On the other hand, the distance between your starting altitude and the altitude you want to get to doesn't change depending on how you get there, which makes it a path function. If you can't intuitively subtract the final value from the initial, like you can with altitude, then it's not a state function.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”