Calorimetry

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shannon Asay 1C

Calorimetry

Postby Shannon Asay 1C » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:27 pm

How does the experiment work to calculate enthalpy using the bomb calorimeter?

Kevin Xu 4F

Re: Calorimetry

Postby Kevin Xu 4F » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:07 pm

A bomb calorimeter is specifically used to measure the heat released of a substance at constant volume. A substance is placed inside a bomb vessel and it is heated to combustion with ample oxygen, and the temperature change in that reaction is measured by heat sensors within the calorimeter. Then, the calorimeter can use the heat released, temperature change, and mass of substance to calculate the specific heat capacity of that substance.

DLee_1L

Postby DLee_1L » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Does the substance in the bomb calorimeter get heat added to it? In my mind, I feel like that would mess up the measurement of the heat released by the actual reaction. I thought that the experiments in the bomb calorimeter had to spontaneously occur?

Jesse H 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jesse H 2L » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 am

DLee_1L wrote:Does the substance in the bomb calorimeter get heat added to it? In my mind, I feel like that would mess up the measurement of the heat released by the actual reaction. I thought that the experiments in the bomb calorimeter had to spontaneously occur?

Bomb calorimeters still require a heat source, but there are measures usually in place in order to measure the difference in heat from the fuel being used and the enthalpy of the reaction

PranaviKolla2B

Postby PranaviKolla2B » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 am

What is the difference between a stand calorimeter and a bomb calorimeter?

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”