Irreversible Expansion Explained

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Leonardo Le Merle 1D

Irreversible Expansion Explained

Postby Leonardo Le Merle 1D » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Can someone clarify what exactly an irreversible expansion would look like? As in explain it with an analogy; something besides the piston one.

Osvaldo SanchezF -1H

Re: Irreversible Expansion Explained

Postby Osvaldo SanchezF -1H » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Instead of a piston you can think of a ballon where you do work on it by blowing air into it. Initially the ballon has a fixed volume and when you blow air the volume will increase and stay at a fixed amount (at least when you tie the not. So then you can apply the irreversible equation for work w=pdeltaV if need be.

Hui Qiao Wu 1I

Postby Hui Qiao Wu 1I » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 am

Adding on to the balloon analogy, for me, reversible is slowly blowing air into the balloon so it "expands" or releasing air so it "compresses;" it can go both ways. Irreversible, on the other hand, is blowing the balloon so fast that it pops, so there is no way of going back.

Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:52 am

For me I remember the graphs he showed us in lecture for the reversible and irreversible reactions. For the reversible reactions the curve is smooth while the irreversible reaction is like a step. You can roll a ball up and down the curve but if you try to roll a ball on the step its can't go back up and stays on the level that it is on.

Kristina Rizo 2K

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:49 am

This is kind of irrelevant to the question but will the question always say if it is reversible or irreversible? Or is there another way we will know which equation to use?

Juliet Stephenson 4E

Postby Juliet Stephenson 4E » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:53 am

Kristina Rizo 2K wrote:This is kind of irrelevant to the question but will the question always say if it is reversible or irreversible? Or is there another way we will know which equation to use?

I am pretty sure the question will always say whether the expansion is reversible or irreversible. I am not aware of a way we could figure it out if it weren't provided.

Noe BM 1J

Postby Noe BM 1J » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 pm

I was about to ask the same question since homework problems specify whether it's reversible or irreversible, so I didn't know if we have to know based on the given information.

Juliet Stephenson 4E wrote:
Kristina Rizo 2K wrote:This is kind of irrelevant to the question but will the question always say if it is reversible or irreversible? Or is there another way we will know which equation to use?

I am pretty sure the question will always say whether the expansion is reversible or irreversible. I am not aware of a way we could figure it out if it weren't provided.

Areena H 2K

Postby Areena H 2K » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Irreversible would be pumping air into a balloon or gas bump and it happens suddenly while reversible would be slowly adding air into it gradually.

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”