Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18400
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 435 times

Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:40 am

The title is called "Pizza Rolls" so that you can search "Pizza Rolls" and easily find this post!

This is your favorite UA, Lyndon Bui, and Matt and I are proud to present practice problems for you midterm YAY. The questions are modeled after previous test and exam questions, but it does not have everything you need to know. This covers material for the midterm.


Please complete these problems before the review session. The review session this quarter (W2020) will be Sunday, Feb 9, 2-5pm, in Moore 100.
We will go over each problem and concept in detail during the review session. The answers, but not full solutions or work, will be posted here at this post after the review session. Any errors in the test will be posted below as well.

Printed copies will NOT be provided at the review session.

Link to Download Problems:
PizzaROLLSSSS.pdf
(269.89 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times

***This is not indicative of the structure, length, or format of the actual final. Treat these as extra practice problems. ***

Errors: None Found Yet

Link for Answers:
Pizza Roll Answers.pdf
(58.66 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Will be posted after the review session.

Happy Studying and Good Luck!
-Lyndon Bui, UA

Anuradha S 1F
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session

Postby Anuradha S 1F » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 am

Thank you so much!! Will you be providing another packet or will you go over this packet on your Monday workshop?

ELu 1J
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session

Postby ELu 1J » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Are you only going over the answers at the Sunday review session or the Monday one as well? Thank you so much :)))

SarahCoufal_1k
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session

Postby SarahCoufal_1k » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:40 pm

ELu 1J wrote:Are you only going over the answers at the Sunday review session or the Monday one as well? Thank you so much :)))


they usually go over it in the three hour session on Sunday only

ELu 1J
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby ELu 1J » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Is the Sunday review session only for going over the practice questions and then the one on Monday is content-based review?

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18400
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 pm

ELu 1J wrote:Is the Sunday review session only for going over the practice questions and then the one on Monday is content-based review?

The Monday Review session was moved to Sunday. There is only a Sunday one. On Monday, Lyndon does have normal UA workshop hours but it is not a review session.

Sunday's session will cover concepts and the practice questions both.

chimerila
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby chimerila » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks so much! Love the little funnies throughout the problem sets. If we have a good understanding of the concepts on this practice exam, do you think we're at a good place for the test?

Yailin Romo 4G
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:00 pm

Thanks so much I will be attending tomorrow!

Naren_Ramesh_4F
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Naren_Ramesh_4F » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm

Will the answer key be posted on Chemistry Community?

DesireBrown1J
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby DesireBrown1J » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:45 pm

What was the little saying to remember the state functions other than entropy and enthalpy? The HUGS and TV one?

Sofia Barker 2C
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Sofia Barker 2C » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:53 pm

DesireBrown1J wrote:What was the little saying to remember the state functions other than entropy and enthalpy? The HUGS and TV one?

To remember the state functions, the saying was something along the lines of "if you're feeling under Pressure or Depressed, go watch some TV or get HUGS." So the P (pressure) in pressure, the D (density) in depressed, T (temp), V (volume), H (enthalpy), U (internal energy), G (Gibbs free energy), and S (entropy) are all state functions.

AysiaB1I
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby AysiaB1I » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Thank you!!

Mariana Fuentes 1L
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Mariana Fuentes 1L » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Thank you so much!!!

DesireBrown1J
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby DesireBrown1J » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Why is delta H always q but q is not always delta H? What exactly does he mean by that?

Leyna Dang 2H
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Leyna Dang 2H » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:55 pm

DesireBrown1J wrote:Why is delta H always q but q is not always delta H? What exactly does he mean by that?

DeltaH by definition is q at constant pressure. But if q is not at constant pressure then it is not deltaH.

Leyna Dang 2H
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Leyna Dang 2H » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:56 pm

DesireBrown1J wrote:What was the little saying to remember the state functions other than entropy and enthalpy? The HUGS and TV one?


If you’re under Pressure and feeling Dense, all you want is to watch TV and get HUGS.

005206171
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby 005206171 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:03 pm

DesireBrown1J wrote:Why is delta H always q but q is not always delta H? What exactly does he mean by that?


The definition of enthalpy is energy/heat absorbed or released at constant pressure (state function). So delta H is always q. Heat only describes energy transfer due to a temperature difference. Heat can be exchanged even when pressure isn’t constant. For example in isochoric conditions, volume isn’t changing so no work can be done by the system. Since delta U = q + w and w=0, q = delta U. Hope this helps

Johnathan Smith 1D
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Johnathan Smith 1D » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm

When will the answers be posted for the review questions?

Jamie Hwang 2F
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Jamie Hwang 2F » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:23 pm

thank you!

Ariana Iranmahboub1G
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Ariana Iranmahboub1G » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Can someone show me step by step on how to solve for number 10. I did not understand why q(ice)=q(water).

CHEM MOD: q(ice) = -q(water) DO NOT forget the negative sign. The heat released from one material in a system is absorbed by the other material in the system.

Ian Morris 3C
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Ian Morris 3C » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 am

Naren_Ramesh_4F wrote:Will the answer key be posted on Chemistry Community?

Yes they are usually but after the review session.

MAC 4G
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby MAC 4G » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:55 am

Does anyone know when the answer key will be posted?

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18400
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:47 pm

MAC 4G wrote:Does anyone know when the answer key will be posted?


Answers are posted. Scroll up!

Sally Qiu 2E
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Sally Qiu 2E » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 pm

can someone explain the lex luthor problem to me? it's number 5. i think for part a, i need to use the 2 entropy equations as well as the equipartition thing. and i'm not sure about b...

Emily Lo 1J
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Emily Lo 1J » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 pm

Can someone help explain why and how the equation for 3b includes (1/2)(m)(delta H of fusion)? I get what you would isolate to get the answer but I'm not sure how they got that part of the equation.

205150314
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby 205150314 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Can someone help me solve problem 3B? I wasnt able to make it to the review session and the enthalpy of fusion is causing me problems

Hailey Kim 4G
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Hailey Kim 4G » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 am

Ariana Iranmahboub1G wrote:Can someone show me step by step on how to solve for number 10. I did not understand why q(ice)=q(water).

CHEM MOD: q(ice) = -q(water) DO NOT forget the negative sign. The heat released from one material in a system is absorbed by the other material in the system.


For #10, why do we have to convert the 25.0 g of ice into moles for the phase change equation? (Why do we use n(delta H) instead of m(delta H))

Hailey Kim 4G
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Hailey Kim 4G » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 am

Emily Lo 1J wrote:Can someone help explain why and how the equation for 3b includes (1/2)(m)(delta H of fusion)? I get what you would isolate to get the answer but I'm not sure how they got that part of the equation.


For problem 3B, you have to use the equation q=mC(Delta T) but also the phase change equation q=m(delta H of fusion). However, the phase change equation is multiplied by one half because the problem says that only HALF of the ice cream melted.

ShastaB4C
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby ShastaB4C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 am

What did I do wrong? The answer is supposed to be 16 degrees Celsius
Attachments
89F4C12C-C83F-42DA-B8C0-DCE1B81E1767.png

Cooper Baddley 1F
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Cooper Baddley 1F » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:21 pm

ShastaB4C wrote:What did I do wrong? The answer is supposed to be 16 degrees Celsius

The ice goes through a phase change so you need to add that heat to the equation on the side of the ice.

JosephineF
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby JosephineF » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm

as long as our units are consistent does it matter if we use kJ or J when talking about enthalpy or entropy?

JosephineF
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby JosephineF » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:58 pm

what is the difference between extensive and intensive properties?

EMurphy_2L
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby EMurphy_2L » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Sally Qiu 2E wrote:can someone explain the lex luthor problem to me? it's number 5. i think for part a, i need to use the 2 entropy equations as well as the equipartition thing. and i'm not sure about b...


Yes for part A you need to consider the entropy change in 3 parts: change in Kr, change in He, and change in temp. using Hess's law you add all together to get total entropy

for both Kr and He there is a volume change so you use S = nR ln(V2/V1)
*the key is that the V2/V1 will be 4 for He and 4/3 for Kr. although first insticnt may tell you it's a 3:1 ratio, if you plug in values like 1 and 3 you will see that V2 is 4!!

for the tamp change you use S = nC ln(T2/T1)
*C will be 3/2R because it's a monoatomic ideal gas!

EMurphy_2L
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby EMurphy_2L » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:32 pm

JosephineF wrote:what is the difference between extensive and intensive properties?


an extensive property is one based on the amount of substance. intensive is one that is general, despite amount.

heat capacity is extensive because you need to know the number of moles or grams.
specific heat capacity is intensive because it is PER moles or grams.

EMurphy_2L
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby EMurphy_2L » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:37 pm

205150314 wrote:Can someone help me solve problem 3B? I wasnt able to make it to the review session and the enthalpy of fusion is causing me problems


Hi! someone answered a similar question above but for 3B you are given more info than you think. First you need to realize that the ice cream both warms in solid phase and then goes through HALF of a phase transition. if you think of the phase change graph, q is the x-axis and always increasing so you can add these two processes to get total q.
q = nCΔT or mCΔT is for a substance in phase (use C from part A!!)
q = nΔH or mΔH is for a substance in phase change (not on constants sheet) BUT since only half melts you use 1/2mΔT
therefore the total equation is q = mCΔT + mΔH (use m equation for both because you're given grams) and you just solve for ΔH because that's what they're asking for!!

JosephineF
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby JosephineF » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 pm

for number 7 I understand how to solve for q but how do you solve for w with so many missing variables from the pv=nrt equation?

zfinn
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby zfinn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:17 pm

can someone please explain #5 i am very confused. thank you

Amy Xiao 1I
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 pm

3 E and 3 F

Can someone explain why these two statements are false? I don't really understand the wording of 3E, and is it ever possible to have a negative heat capacity?

3E: Removing heat from a system is exothermic, so temperature must decrease.

3F: Heat Capacities can be negative for simple molecules.

Janet Nguy 2C
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Janet Nguy 2C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 pm

For question 10 (25.0g ice at 0.00 Celcius dropped into 265 mL of water at 25.0 Celcius. What is Tf of the water?):

Why can we assume that all 25 grams of ice melted into water? i.e. why is the m1 (mass for the ice undergoing phase change) equal to the m2 (mass of the ice that becomes water)? How do we know that all of it melted?

Janet Nguy 2C
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Janet Nguy 2C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:23 pm

JosephineF wrote:for number 7 I understand how to solve for q but how do you solve for w with so many missing variables from the pv=nrt equation?


The general equation for work is at a constant pressure. Because we are given the value, we can assume that the reaction occurred under constant pressure (because ).

Thus, using the ideal gas equation (pV = nRT), we can rearrange the values such that it matches the work equation. In this case, we arrange to write , because in this case we have 3 moles of gas being converted into 5 moles of gas in the reaction.
We can now substitute this in for the work equation to get , where is equal to the moles of gas in the product minus the moles of gas on the reactant side (5 moles - 3 moles = 2 moles).

Now, we can solve for . We know , R, and T (room temperature is 298.15 K). This value, however, is the change in internal energy for the stated reaction.

To find for 1.00 mol of CO2, divide by 4. That should yield .

Hope this helps!

zfinn
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby zfinn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:21 pm

For Pizza Rolls 5e why is the answer false? is it only crystals that have 0 entropy at absolute zero?

Asha Agarwal 1E
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Asha Agarwal 1E » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm

Can someone explain how to solve #11 on the practice questions? What steps do you need to take?

Asha Agarwal 1E
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Asha Agarwal 1E » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Can someone also explain #12B? Is there a specific equation to use?

Julia Holsinger_1A
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Julia Holsinger_1A » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:02 pm

I am confused with #12B. What equation do you use when trying to find delta H?

Zoya Mulji 1K
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:15 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Zoya Mulji 1K » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 pm

Hailey Kim 4G wrote:
Ariana Iranmahboub1G wrote:Can someone show me step by step on how to solve for number 10. I did not understand why q(ice)=q(water).

CHEM MOD: q(ice) = -q(water) DO NOT forget the negative sign. The heat released from one material in a system is absorbed by the other material in the system.


For #10, why do we have to convert the 25.0 g of ice into moles for the phase change equation? (Why do we use n(delta H) instead of m(delta H))



The deltaH fusion given in the constants list is in kJ/mol so you have to convert the 25.0 grams of ice to mol to go with the units on the deltaH of fusion.

ShastaB4C
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby ShastaB4C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 pm

Cooper Baddley 1F wrote:
ShastaB4C wrote:What did I do wrong? The answer is supposed to be 16 degrees Celsius

The ice goes through a phase change so you need to add that heat to the equation on the side of the ice.


Do I get that value from delta H fusion on the equation sheet?

Luyan Zhang - 2D
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Luyan Zhang - 2D » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 pm

Can someone explain #6 to me? I dont really understand how to calculate each one of them. And is delta U = 0?

Julia Holsinger_1A
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Julia Holsinger_1A » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:04 pm

Asha Agarwal 1E wrote:Can someone also explain #12B? Is there a specific equation to use?

You take the q=mC(delta)T of each part of the equation while using the Cpm values given for C and then you do the sum of the products minus the sum of the reactants.

Luc Zelissen 1K
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Luc Zelissen 1K » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:09 pm

My final equation for number 10 is , but I keep getting the wrong degrees. What am I doing wrong?

Luc Zelissen 1K
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Luc Zelissen 1K » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 pm

For Question 5, I have for both gasses, but when I add them up I dont get the right answer. Is there another equation to find the change of Entropy of the 2 gasses combined, if so what is it?

Vuong_2F
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Vuong_2F » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:57 pm

Asha Agarwal 1E wrote:Can someone explain how to solve #11 on the practice questions? What steps do you need to take?

1) since you're dealing with an acid, you want to convert the pKb to Ka
2) given the concentration of the acid, you can set up an ice table to help you write the equilibrium expression
3) after setting up the equilibrium expression, solve for x. x is also the value of the H+ concentration
4) use -log[H+] to find the pH

Jocelyn Thorp 1A
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Luc Zelissen 1K wrote:For Question 5, I have for both gasses, but when I add them up I dont get the right answer. Is there another equation to find the change of Entropy of the 2 gasses combined, if so what is it?


don't forget to account for the temperature change!

Luc Zelissen 1K
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Luc Zelissen 1K » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am

Luc Zelissen 1K wrote:My final equation for number 10 is , but I keep getting the wrong degrees. What am I doing wrong?

I realized that after the dHfus occurs, the ice turns to liquid, so you need to use the specific heat capacity of water on both sides, so it should look like

EMurphy_2L
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby EMurphy_2L » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:08 am

HELP for question 6, why is ΔU=0 and ΔS=0 for all three changes?

Dan M -3E
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Dan M -3E » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:47 am

Can someone pls explain how to find heat and work in question #6? I get that deltaU and deltaS are 0 because they are state functions, but how/what equations do I use to find work and heat?

Jocelyn Thorp 1A
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:17 am

Vuong_2F wrote:
Asha Agarwal 1E wrote:Can someone explain how to solve #11 on the practice questions? What steps do you need to take?

1) since you're dealing with an acid, you want to convert the pKb to Ka
2) given the concentration of the acid, you can set up an ice table to help you write the equilibrium expression
3) after setting up the equilibrium expression, solve for x. x is also the value of the H+ concentration
4) use -log[H+] to find the pH


could someone walk me through this with the actual values? I tried these steps, but end up getting a wrong answer :(
or at the very least, could someone write what they got as equal to the Ka value (in terms of x) after setting up the ice table?

Ivan Tadeja 1G
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Ivan Tadeja 1G » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 am

EMurphy_2L wrote:
205150314 wrote:Can someone help me solve problem 3B? I wasnt able to make it to the review session and the enthalpy of fusion is causing me problems


Hi! someone answered a similar question above but for 3B you are given more info than you think. First you need to realize that the ice cream both warms in solid phase and then goes through HALF of a phase transition. if you think of the phase change graph, q is the x-axis and always increasing so you can add these two processes to get total q.
q = nCΔT or mCΔT is for a substance in phase (use C from part A!!)
q = nΔH or mΔH is for a substance in phase change (not on constants sheet) BUT since only half melts you use 1/2mΔT
therefore the total equation is q = mCΔT + mΔH (use m equation for both because you're given grams) and you just solve for ΔH because that's what they're asking for!!


Hey for , you multiplied by 1/2 but your eq. says . Is this just a typo or am I missing something?

Clara Cho 2K
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Clara Cho 2K » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am

Can someone please explain why the v2/v1 for He is 4 and and 4/3 for Kr for problem 5?

Jocelyn Thorp 1A
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 am

Clara Cho 2K wrote:Can someone please explain why the v2/v1 for He is 4 and and 4/3 for Kr for problem 5?

Yeah so V2 is the sum of the volume in both chambers, where one is 3 times the size of the other. So in one chamer you have one liter, and the other you have 3. So the total (V2) is 4. He starts out in the 1L container so V2/V1 is 4/1 and Kr starts out in the 3L chamber so V2/V1 is 4/3. hope this helped!

Clara Cho 2K
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Clara Cho 2K » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 pm

I feel like I'm doing #6 correctly , but I'm not getting the correct answer. Can someone explain how I calculate the work of expansion for the step with the reversible, isothermal expansion?

Jared Khoo 1G
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Jared Khoo 1G » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:45 pm

Clara Cho 2K wrote:I feel like I'm doing #6 correctly , but I'm not getting the correct answer. Can someone explain how I calculate the work of expansion for the step with the reversible, isothermal expansion?


Wby = nRT (ln V2/V1), and -Wby = Won which is the component of dU = q + w.

kennedyp
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby kennedyp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Can someone explain 2 D? For some reason I'm not getting the right answer for the reaction quotient :(

CalvinTNguyen2D
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby CalvinTNguyen2D » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:13 pm

kennedyp wrote:Can someone explain 2 D? For some reason I'm not getting the right answer for the reaction quotient :(

For 2D, remember that NH4HS(s) is not included in the reaction quotient, since it is a solid! The equation should just be Q = [H2S][NH3]! Make sure to convert the mols into MOLAR by dividing the mols by 2L. I hope this helps :)

AysiaB1I
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby AysiaB1I » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Does anyone know how we got the temperature for question 6 on pizza rolls? I have 304.55 from the review session but i'm not sure how we got it.

Jocelyn Thorp 1A
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:47 pm

AysiaB1I wrote:Does anyone know how we got the temperature for question 6 on pizza rolls? I have 304.55 from the review session but i'm not sure how we got it.


solve for it with PV=nRT, everything except temp is given in the problem

Dan M -3E
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Dan M -3E » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks to everyone that helped out with questions that people were asking here. It was a big help for reviewing for the midterm.

DesireBrown1J
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby DesireBrown1J » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Does Lyndon have a practice worksheet for Test 2?

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am

Re: Pizza Rolls REVIEW Session DOWNLOAD HERE

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:16 pm

DesireBrown1J wrote:Does Lyndon have a practice worksheet for Test 2?


I do not think that he has a practice worksheet for Test 2 like the ones he makes for the midterm or final but you can always ask him questions about concepts you're confused about.


Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests