Analysis of Gibbs Free Energy Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LBacker_2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Analysis of Gibbs Free Energy Equation

Postby LBacker_2E » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 pm

On the outline when it says "explain how how ∆S is related to ∆H for a change at constant temperature and pressure and explain the relationship" I am a little confused. Like I know the general equation to relate the two, but is there a trend that when you increase ∆S, ∆H will either increase or decrease? Or does it depend on what Gibbs free energy is.

Re: Analysis of Gibbs Free Energy Equation

Postby 705121606 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm

I believe it is all dependent on gibbs free energy because we need delta s and delta h to know if the reaction will be spontaneous or not. I would just make sure you know how to manipulate the variables and come to the conclusion of what needs to happen for the reaction to be spontaneous or non spontaneous. From a hw question we had (4.37), we can come to the conclusion about spontaneity can be found from S or G, if g is negative the reaction is spontaneous. If delta s total is positive it would also be spontaneous.

Kristina Rizo 2K

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:43 am

Would this also be related to the equation delta S= q/T? And q = delta H?

Veronica_Lubera_2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Veronica_Lubera_2A » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:55 am

Delta s=q/T is used when there is a constant temperature. q=DeltaH is used when there is a constant pressure. Q is heat which is separate from Gibbs free energy.

Sydney Myers 4I

Postby Sydney Myers 4I » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 pm

The relationship between delta H and delta S depends on which delta S you're referring to. If it's the entropy of the system, then as delta H increases, then delta S increases with it. If it's the entropy of the surroundings, then delta S would decrease with an increase in delta H. If its the total entropy, then delta S increases with a decrease in delta S.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”