Entropy

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Simon Dionson 4I

Entropy

Postby Simon Dionson 4I » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Why do molecules and atoms with greater mass have more molar entropy?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Entropy

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Molecules/atoms with higher mass have more entropy because they have more subatomic particles, which can occupy more microstates within the molecule/atom's electron clouds and nuclei. There are definitely more formal and correct explanations as to why molecules that are larger and more complex have higher entropy, but those explanations are usually beyond the scope of a freshman chemistry course and the relatively simple explanation that I provided should suffice.

Skyllar Kuppinger 1F

Postby Skyllar Kuppinger 1F » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:14 pm

it is because more mass = more electrons. electrons have so many possible states, so when there are more electrons there are even more possible states. so basically entropy has to do with not only the arrangement of atoms, but also their subatomic particles.

Sukanya Mohapatra 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sukanya Mohapatra 2G » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:54 pm

The standard entropy of a substance increases with an increase in the molar mass. This is because with the increase in molar mass the energy states of the atoms are more closely spaced to each other. Due to more closely spacing between the energy states, there is greater dispersal of energy at the given temperature which leads to an increase in entropy.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”