Electron transfer and entropy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Kammerer 2B

Electron transfer and entropy

Postby Payton Kammerer 2B » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36 pm

How does the transfer of electrons affect a reactions change in entropy? Like, does an electron being transferred from an element with low electronegativity to high electronegativity decrease the amount of disorder in the system since the electronegative atom will hold more "tightly" to the electron?

I wasn't sure where to put this question since we haven't gotten past balancing redox reactions in lecture, and there isn't a "random" category (that I know of). I hope this is okay!

lilymayek_1E

Re: Electron transfer and entropy

Postby lilymayek_1E » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:16 pm

entropy is tied to the 2nd law of thermodynamics (which is that the entropy in a closed system never decreases; either remains constant in equilibrium or increases), and as far as I've looked electrons are so small in conjunction with the 2nd law, as well as somewhat having 0 entropy because of their state as a subatomic particle, they're really hard to relate to entropy? if we assume that the system is closed (which it typically is), entropy will never decrease. entropy will either remain constant or increase if it's a closed system - I think that's as close as entropy relates to electrons, but I could be wrong.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”