Preparing for Exam Content

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Preparing for Exam Content

Postby 805291863 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 pm

To be honest, some of the questions on the midterm were not what I expected in terms of the types of questions and way you were to answer them. I did all the homework questions, went to review sessions, and paid attention in class. Did anyone else also feel this way? Does anyone have advice on how to better prepare for the types of questions?

Sahil Jog 1F

Re: Preparing for Exam Content

Postby Sahil Jog 1F » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 pm

Honestly, I do feel the same way about this midterm, since it did involve high level problem solving skills which you cannot really prepare for except for just practicing problems. However, I think that the best way to prepare for a midterm like this would still be more and more practice problems until you know for sure that you understand how to manipulate each and every concept and make sure that you can apply it every way possible. Other than that, I would say Khan Academy is the key to understanding concepts that you do not really have a grasp on. Hope this helps.

Sjeffrey_1C

Postby Sjeffrey_1C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 am

I definitely agree. I felt very prepared going in and then was very surprised by some of the questions. As said, a lot of it was high level problem solving. So I think it's important to just practice any sort of problem solving, and it will come easier during the tests. Next time, I'm going to go through all the book problems a few times so I know I have them down and am confident in being able to solve those super easily, and then when there's harder test problems it won't be as bad.

san_2F

Postby san_2F » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 am

I completely agree. This test was much harder than expected. I personally felt very prepared for the midterm. I did all the practice and went through them almost three times and attended the review session. Even then, I thought the test was definitely tricker than expected. I think the best way to approach these problems is to write down everything you know related to the problem and see what information fits in best.

Naren_Ramesh_4F

Postby Naren_Ramesh_4F » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:33 am

Yea, I too was really surprised by the amount of content-application we had to use instead of problems we had worked with in class. Ultimately, there is no better way to studying for these problems than being really solid with the fundamentals of the section, which comes from doing a ton of practice problems.

Donna Nguyen 2L

Postby Donna Nguyen 2L » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:49 am

I definitely feel the same way. I felt like I studied super hard for the midterm and I thought that I was (kind of) ready, but it was more difficult than I hoped and expected. I feel like the best way to better prepare for these types of questions is to continue doing practice problems and understanding how to approach them.

Jaklin Astvatsatryan

Postby Jaklin Astvatsatryan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 pm

I felt the same. But I recommend watching videos to really instill the material covered in class so that you can apply them to solving problems. I also recommend doing the Sapling problems if you can because it builds you up to solving difficult questions.

Mai V 4L

Postby Mai V 4L » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Jaklin Astvatsatryan wrote:I felt the same. But I recommend watching videos to really instill the material covered in class so that you can apply them to solving problems. I also recommend doing the Sapling problems if you can because it builds you up to solving difficult questions.

Ca you please share the link to these videos thanks!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”