Reversible Reaction

isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sarahforman_Dis2I

Reversible Reaction

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Can someone please explain what makes a reaction reversible. I am just a little confused about qualifies as a reversible reaction.

KaleenaJezycki_1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Reversible Reaction

Postby KaleenaJezycki_1I » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:19 pm

sarahforman_Dis2I wrote:Can someone please explain what makes a reaction reversible. I am just a little confused about qualifies as a reversible reaction.

A reaction is reversible when it is in equilibrium with its surroundings. This occurs when the work is isothermal (at a constant temperature) and the expansion is reversible. I believe the question asked will point out whether it is reversible or not, (look at 4A.5).

Ryan Lee 1E

Postby Ryan Lee 1E » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:53 pm

In addition, when solving problems involving a reversible reaction, you'll want to make sure to use the work = nRT*ln(v2/v1) equation since you'll actually need to use the integral when the pressure is constantly changing.

Eva Zhao 4I

Postby Eva Zhao 4I » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Something to note is that the work a system can do is greatest in a reversible process, compared to an irreversible process. This is because a reversible process is one that can be reversed by an infinitely small change in a variable, i.e. pressure such that when a gas expands reversibly, the external pressure is matched to the pressure of the gas at every stage of the expansion. Hence we get the graphs:

Adriana_4F

Postby Adriana_4F » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 pm

As you can tell by the graphs, The reversible path does more work than the irreversible path. The reversible path generates the maximum amount of work a system can do.

Kate Swertfager

Postby Kate Swertfager » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Most of the questions I’ve come across have stated that the process was reversible or nonreversible. Reversible reactions must be at constant temp as well and that’s why we use the equations for w that includes T not delta T.

J_CHEN 4I

Postby J_CHEN 4I » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 pm

A reaction is reversible when there is an infinitely small change in a variable (e.g. pressure) that changes the reaction back to its original state.

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”