entropy of surr vs entropy of system vs total entropy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

vanessas0123

entropy of surr vs entropy of system vs total entropy

Postby vanessas0123 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

What's the difference between the entropy of the surrounding, system, and total entropy? And how would you find these values in isothermal reversible and irreversible expansions?

Vincent Leong 2B

Re: entropy of surr vs entropy of system vs total entropy

Postby Vincent Leong 2B » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am

delta s total refers to the universe and the delta s system + surr are self explanatory (your system and whatever you define as your surroundings). An example is a cup and a bench. The cup is my system and its on my surroundings (the bench). The key concept is that for a reversible system delta S total or delta S universe is 0. For an irreversible process, delta S surr is 0.

Abby Soriano 1J

Postby Abby Soriano 1J » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:37 am

Vincent Leong 2B wrote:delta s total refers to the universe and the delta s system + surr are self explanatory (your system and whatever you define as your surroundings). An example is a cup and a bench. The cup is my system and its on my surroundings (the bench). The key concept is that for a reversible system delta S total or delta S universe is 0. For an irreversible process, delta S surr is 0.

Can you further explain why delta S total is 0 only under reversible conditions? What accounts for this difference?

Vincent Leong 2B

Postby Vincent Leong 2B » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:18 pm

delta S of the universe is 0 for reversible rxns bc the reversilble rxns can go back to their initial states. If you think of delta, its a measure of change. If your final and initial state are identical, there is no measure of change bc technically, you ended where you started. Therefore there is no delta and thus the delta S of universe is 0.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”