reducing/oxidizing agents

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ayushibanerjee06
Been upvoted: 1 time

reducing/oxidizing agents

Postby ayushibanerjee06 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:57 pm

I don't understand why reducing agents are the ones being oxidized (anode) and the oxidizing agents are the ones being reduced (cathode)

Hiba Alnajjar_2C

Re: reducing/oxidizing agents

Postby Hiba Alnajjar_2C » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:27 pm

I believe that the oxidization of a particular species allows the other species to be reduced, which is why the species being oxidized is referred to as the reducing agent. When that species is oxidized, it loses electrons that the other species then gains, allowing it to thus reduce the other species. You can apply this same logic to the reduced species being called the oxidizing agent.

cassidysong 1K

Postby cassidysong 1K » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:20 am

in order to determine whether it is a reducing or oxidizing agent think about what the cell is doing to the other

Sally Qiu 2E

Postby Sally Qiu 2E » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:22 am

reducing agents cause other species to be reduced and in the process, they themselves become oxidized because they have given an electron in order to reduce the other species.

Kayli Choy 2F

Postby Kayli Choy 2F » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 pm

For something to be reduced, it must gain electrons. Therefore, a donor of electrons is needed. This electron donor is giving electrons to reduce something else, therefore allowing reduction to occur (reducing agent). If this electron donor were not present, reduction could not occur. However, the electron donor itself is donating its electrons, so it is being oxidized. This is why the reducing agent is the substance being oxidized, because it is allowing reduction to occur (reducing another element).

Altamash Mahsud 1I

Postby Altamash Mahsud 1I » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Think of it like this: if something is being oxidized, that means it is losing electrons(or electron). Those electrons are going to go to another atom or molecule, which means that atom/molecule that gained those electrons is being reduced. This is why the original atom/molecule that was oxidized is a reducing agent, because the electrons it lost reduced another atom/molecule. It is the same but just opposite for why an oxidizing agent gets reduced.

Abby Soriano 1J

Postby Abby Soriano 1J » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Reducing agents are the ones being oxidized because, in order for them to become oxidized, they must give up electrons. And so, by giving up those electrons, they are acting as a reducing agent for whatever is being reduced. The opposite goes for oxidizing agents being the ones who are reduced.

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:22 pm

This was confusing to me at first as well but one of my UA's mentioned that we can just remember that the agents are opposite of what they do so if its oxidation then it will a reduction agent but if it's reducing then it will be the oxidizing agent. But it is still important to understand it conceptually. Like the others above have mentioned, to reduce something or gain electrons it needs to get these electrons somewhere so it gets it from the one that's oxidizing or losing electrons. Thus, the one that's gaining electrons (reduction) will be the oxidizing agent because by gaining electrons it's oxidizing the other (making the other lose electrons). For the one that's losing electrons (oxidation) it loses electrons that get gained by the reduction so it is allowing the other to be reduced and thus becomes the reduction agent.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”