Anode as [product] and cathode as [reactant]?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EllieSchmidtke_4I

Anode as [product] and cathode as [reactant]?

Postby EllieSchmidtke_4I » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:37 pm

When calculating K as [product]/[reactant], why would the anode be used as the product and the cathode be used as the reactant?

Ashley Wang 4G

Re: Anode as [product] and cathode as [reactant]?

Postby Ashley Wang 4G » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Try writing out the oxidation and reduction half reactions for the cell. When you add them together for the overall redox reaction, you will see that the reaction has the cathode species (or concentrations, in a concentration cell) on the reactant side, and anode species/concentrations on the product side. Thus, we apply their concentrations to the Nernst equation.

I hope this is helpful!

PranaviKolla2B

Postby PranaviKolla2B » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm

Another helpful tip is when looking at the cell diagram, the left side of both the cathode and the anode is the reactants and the right side of both is consequently the products. That is why anode is usually used as the product and cathode as the reactant!

Brandon Valafar
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Brandon Valafar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:19 pm

If you write out the separate oxidation and reduction reaction then add them together after creating like coefficients for the electrons, you will see that it ends up with the anode being in the products and the cathode being in the reactants.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”