Specific Heat

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shivam Patel

Specific Heat

Postby Shivam Patel » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:30 pm

How does pressure affect specific heat? Also, are there any other non-apparent factors (aside from the factors in the equation with specific heat Q=cm▲T like temperature and mass) that may affect the specific heat?

Kayla Tran 1E

Re: Specific Heat

Postby Kayla Tran 1E » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Pressure doesn't affect specific heat because the units are J/g/degree Celsius. Also, for solids and liquids the constant-volume heat and the constant-pressure heats can be said to be equal. So you are right that the factors in the equation Q=mc∆T affect specific heat but that's it.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:04 pm

The above discussion is great. I just want to make a small clarification. Specific heat capacity only depends on the temperature (but they barely change with temperature) and the identity of the substance, not mass. In the equation, mass affects heat, not specific heat capacity.

carissa1F

Postby carissa1F » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Just to reiterate so I know I'm understanding this, volume and pressure doesn't really affect specific heat but only the temperature and the amount of the object we're heating?

Also, I kind of understand how for solids and liquids, the constant volume and pressure differences are very very small but can someone elaborate further? Why is it that they don't change for solids and liquids but they do for gasses? From lecture, i understand that constant pressure for gasses may push against the pressure (?) which is work?

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”