Tips for Staying Focused

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jesalynne 2F

Tips for Staying Focused

Postby Jesalynne 2F » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm

Hey guys, I've been finding it really hard to focus with everything that has been going on. Does anyone have tips on how to stay focused? I've been trying to study and it has been hard with all the updates for next quarter and the stress from that. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Kishan Shah 2G

Re: Tips for Staying Focused

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah same with me. I am usually really focused before finals week but there is a lot going on in terms of panic and new news. I try and get through some work but it seems like there are constant distractions every few minutes.

JosephineF

Postby JosephineF » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm

I've been putting my phone on do not disturb and setting a timer for an hour at a time and so for that I hour I sit and study and then when the timer goes off I give myself a 10 minute break and then I restart the timer for another hour. You just have to get into a groove. The hardest part is starting but then once your "in it" I find it's easier to keep going

Omar Selim 1D

Postby Omar Selim 1D » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:37 pm

People can stay focused in different ways. I like to drink coffee or tea while i study because it keeps me awake and alert

Amanda Mei 1B

Postby Amanda Mei 1B » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:42 pm

I've also been finding it hard to sit down and study, but I know it's important to get into a good habit since next quarter will be like this. I think finding a quiet spot would be super helpful in being able to just sit down and grind for a bit. Definitely setting a routine time to get up and study a certain subject each day would be ideal, just to get some sense of structure into the day.

Patricia Cardenas

Postby Patricia Cardenas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:45 pm

I would say to set aside a time limit, turn off your phone or any other distractions around you, and study for a set period of time. Then reward yourself with a short break, and continue! Wishing everyone the best of luck.

AGaeta_2C

Postby AGaeta_2C » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:43 am

I always try to not study on an empty stomach since that lack of energy won’t do me any good. I’m just trying to establish a study routine for these next few months, but I find that completely shutting off social media and other distractions helps!

Philip

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am

To stay focus I usually take a couple of breaths and try my best to only think about the task at hand and ignore my surroundings

Anuradha S 1F

Postby Anuradha S 1F » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm

I've found that when I'm in a space where other people are also working, like the library or a coffee shop, I can stay focused for longer periods. Sometimes...peer pressure is good..

Also, NEVER STUDY ON YOUR BED OR IN YOUR BEDROOM IN GENERAL!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”