States of Molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emma Healy 2J

States of Molecules

Postby Emma Healy 2J » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:30 am

Hi! When writing balanced equations, do we need to include the states of the molecules? And how to do we know which state it is in?

Joel Meza 3I

Re: States of Molecules

Postby Joel Meza 3I » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:40 am

I believe that if you're balancing an equation that is already given to you, the states of the molecules should already be given to you too. If they are not, I do not believe that it is necessary to go and find out what state of matter they are in. For knowing which state of matter each molecule is in, I think that just comes with experience and/or previous memorization. I doubt we are expected to know that Cu(NO3)2 is an aqueous solution if we aren't familiar with the compound, but we should already know the state of matter of some molecules like how O2 is a gas because we are familiar with that molecule from high school chemistry. I hope this somewhat helps.

Rajshree 1F

Postby Rajshree 1F » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Joel Meza 2E wrote:I believe that if you're balancing an equation that is already given to you, the states of the molecules should already be given to you too. If they are not, I do not believe that it is necessary to go and find out what state of matter they are in. For knowing which state of matter each molecule is in, I think that just comes with experience and/or previous memorization. I doubt we are expected to know that Cu(NO3)2 is an aqueous solution if we aren't familiar with the compound, but we should already know the state of matter of some molecules like how O2 is a gas because we are familiar with that molecule from high school chemistry. I hope this somewhat helps.

so if we only know some of them would you say we write in some but not the others?

Hannah Lechtzin 1K

Postby Hannah Lechtzin 1K » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:35 pm

As of right now, we should be given the states of the molecules. If for whatever reason we are not given them, I would not write them in unless you are sure of what they are going to be.

abby hyman

Postby abby hyman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:54 pm

The state of the molecule is not required for balancing equations right now. I believe Lavelle will discuss more of this later on in the quarter, but not something that is tested on I don't think.

LovepreetSran_3H

Postby LovepreetSran_3H » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:57 pm

For now, I think we don't need to put the states of the molecules.

Griffin G

Postby Griffin G » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:01 pm

The state of a molecule isn't a requirement to be included when balancing equations, because it doesn't alter the ratio of atoms in any way. However, if we are given the information then it would be a good idea to include as much detail as possible, for practice, but that's up to you.

Juwan_Madaki_3K

Postby Juwan_Madaki_3K » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am

I find that writing the state of the molecules helps me visualize and understand how it takes place. Thought at times, it may not be necessary, writing the states may increase your overall understanding of the chemical reaction. I would also get in the habit of listing states so that you aren't marked down on any future assignments.

JaesalSoma1E
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby JaesalSoma1E » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Writing the states of matter in an equation is important when you are writing net ionic equations. This type of equation shows how aqueous ions combine to create a solid precipitate, so it is important to specify which reactants and products are changing in state.

Joel Meza 3I

Postby Joel Meza 3I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Rajshree 1B wrote:
Joel Meza 2E wrote:I believe that if you're balancing an equation that is already given to you, the states of the molecules should already be given to you too. If they are not, I do not believe that it is necessary to go and find out what state of matter they are in. For knowing which state of matter each molecule is in, I think that just comes with experience and/or previous memorization. I doubt we are expected to know that Cu(NO3)2 is an aqueous solution if we aren't familiar with the compound, but we should already know the state of matter of some molecules like how O2 is a gas because we are familiar with that molecule from high school chemistry. I hope this somewhat helps.

so if we only know some of them would you say we write in some but not the others?

No, you shouldn't write in some but not others because it's not helpful to do so. It wouldn't make sense to just write the states of some and not all molecules. I would either write the states of all the molecules or none at all (preferably write the states for all molecules in the equation).

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”