Wave properties of electrons and diffraction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melody Haratian 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Wave properties of electrons and diffraction

Postby Melody Haratian 2J » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi everyone!
In the audio visual about the wave properties of electrons, diffraction is mentioned multiple times. I’m a little confused about what diffraction means. What is diffraction and how does it relate to the properties of electrons?
Thank you!

Cass Cheng 2A

Re: Wave properties of electrons and diffraction

Postby Cass Cheng 2A » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:08 pm

electrons can act as a wave, which can then be diffracted like light. Diffraction is essentially when the wave encounters an object in its path and it bends around the object. This is a super basic introduction, but I hope this helped a bit!

Madison Wong 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Madison Wong 3H » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 pm

Yes, I think diffraction also has to do with the interference of waves- constructive and destructively. From the interaction of waves comes the same properties of waves from electrons, which encourages the idea of electrons having particle like and wavelike qualities!

Samuel Flores 1E

Postby Samuel Flores 1E » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:41 pm

As mentioned above, diffraction occurs because of the constructive and destructive interference of two waves. In constructive interference, the amplitude of the 2 interaction waves are additive, while in destructive interference, the amplitude of the combined wave is cancel each other out partially, leaving a smaller amplitude.
One concept that I'll add is that we know electrons have wave-like properties because of its diffraction pattern, which essentially results because of these constructive and destructive interference of waves.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Properties of Electrons”