How are you studying?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jose Miguel Conste 3H

Re: How are you studying?

Postby Jose Miguel Conste 3H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 pm

To be honest, I believe everything you need to know about the midterm are the questions that is given on the syllabus, I would work through all those questions in order to understand the topic as a whole.

Day Preciado 1H

Postby Day Preciado 1H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Reading some of the posts have been helpful, I'm personally struggling keeping track of material.

Melissa Solis 1H

Postby Melissa Solis 1H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 pm

It honestly depends on how well I understand the lecture. First I read the assigned chapters in order to not be completely lost during lecture and then I watch the lecture while taking notes. If I do understand the lecture and took notes, I try to revisit them a day after class so I can retain the material. However, if I didn't really comprehend the lecture, I'll rewatch it again, revisit the chapters covered in that specific lecture and search a 3rd party source in order to view the topic in a different perspective. I highly recommend Khan Academy if you're stuck on one of the topics!

Edward Castro

Postby Edward Castro » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 pm

One thing I would recommend is instead of typing out the notes, to write down over and over information or formulas you might be struggling with. Also forming study groups with peers and getting different perspectives on the material can help.

Sheryl Ocampo 1D

Postby Sheryl Ocampo 1D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 pm

I am watching my lectures and going over my notes. Aside from doing the sapling homework, I go over the textbook problems if I have extra time

Victoria_Sauceda_1B

Postby Victoria_Sauceda_1B » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:33 pm

I've been having trouble creating good study habits as well. I've been trying to make a schedule that helps me efficiently learn the topics. I found that practicing examples and working out every step helps me learn it. The routine will help you learn how to solve the equations easily every time.

Nico Medina

Postby Nico Medina » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 pm

In my opinion, self-testing is key. After taking notes during lecture, complete practice problems or even problems found online in order to gauge the degree to which you are mastering the material. I have found it very useful to use this as a "checkpoint" of sorts before moving on to the next topic. Hope this helps!

Postby 905579227 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 pm

Ive been seeing that the best way to study is to teach others. So lets help eachother out. I have been looking for a tutor so help me learn while you learn more from teaching me. An honestly i feel like the textbook has helped me the most, i just cant watch the lectures and stay focused. If any one has any tips on using the text book to study please let me know.

BaileyB1F

Postby BaileyB1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 pm

I work focus on understanding the material throughout the week and then on the weekend I work on practice problems.

sabrina ghalambor 2J

Postby sabrina ghalambor 2J » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 am

the best study tip i've found has been to set aside 1 hr a day for reviewing topics that seem foreign and confusing, between all my classes! this way i don't leave any complicated subjects that seem daunting for right before an exam or quiz.

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:34 am

I'm a bit behind in the overall class content as I'm finding it hard to balance classes at the moment, but to study concepts I don't understand, I'll rewrite my notes and focus on making the notes look pleasant, and sprinkle in some practice problems. This way, I'll remember the concepts based on their appearance but then remember the steps from the problems as well as practice from when I used that color or appearance concept! (tldr make notes pretty while doing practice problems, remember concepts by how they looked in my notebook)

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am

The most important thing to stay on top is to watch lecture at the timeframe is signed up for. This gives me a weekly structured schedule that I can follow. I also attend plf sessions as a sort of review and to further my understanding.

Shrey Pawar 2A
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Shrey Pawar 2A » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:49 am

I purposely make myself take notes on the videos we watch in order to keep myself accountable for listening. Also, I try to finish off the Audio Visual videos beforehand that way I have an idea of what is going on during the lecture. In terms of studying, I've been slowly going through the textbook problems assigned.

Mahika More 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Mahika More 1H » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am

For me, definitely staying organized is super important! It can be super overwhelming with several assignments especially if you don't know when they are due and how much time you need for it. I use my planner to help block out times during the day where I will focus on specific topics or assignments I may need to do. In addition to that, I found practice problems and handwriting notes (typing notes never works for me) helps me retain the information I will need. Hope this helps!

Lucy_Balish_3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lucy_Balish_3G » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:04 pm

For me, I start by watching the lectures and making sure to attend them around the time when we normally would if they were live. This helps me stay on top of watching the videos and also feel like I have to still "go to class" and be accountable for my participation. During lecture I take notes and write down both what he says and the key information on the slides. After class I usually hop on chemistry community to "debrief" the lecture and practice explaining the concepts I just learned. Later in the day after classes I go back and reread my notes, highlighting the main points and then spending the remainder of the hour doing practice problems and chipping away at the sapling assignment.

sophie esherick 3H
Been upvoted: 6 times

Postby sophie esherick 3H » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:11 pm

I honestly think one of the best ways that I study is to teach others as much as I can. If you know aa few people in this class a really thing to do is form a study group where you just study together and work out harder problems together. The way I was taught to study was to see if I can explain difficult concepts to others in a way that they are able to fully comprehend the material and the process of how to solve problems, then I am developing a deeper understanding and connection to the material. Another thing I do is go over extra problems on my own time (for example, do all the even problems in the textbook) to test my knowledge and see what areas I might be weaker in. Most importantly, time management is very important. You want to schedule out blocks of time to devote to studying so you don't burn yourself out, self-care is important too! I hope this helps a bit!

Melis Kasaba 2B

Postby Melis Kasaba 2B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm

I take detailed notes during lecture and then go back and highlight the key concepts after. I've also watched all the modules and I try to go through the textbook at the same rate as the lectures. I think what's also really helpful is going to the peer learning sessions because the in-depth explanations and extra practice problems are super helpful. Personally, it's always more effective for me to do problems where I actually apply a concept rather than just read about it. For the midterm, I'm going to review all the textbook problems that Lavelle has assigned and make sure I fully understand how to do each one.

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:58 pm

I take notes on the lecture and then refer back to the book to compare the notes I took on the lecture and the information in the book. For the midterm, I'm planning on redoing the homework problems listed on the outline as well as some of the post module assessments. Im also going to look over the lecture notes because some bruin reviews said that he added specific information from the lectures on his tests.

Keeryth Sandhu 1H

Postby Keeryth Sandhu 1H » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:03 pm

For me, I've been mainly been practicing as many problems I can. I've been focusing on doing the homework problems, assessments for each module, the textbook problems, and attending step up/workshop sessions whenever I have the time. I think the best way to stay on top of your work is to do a little bit of studying or practice each day even when there's no assignments due, and seek help if you don't understand a concept. Then as the midterm approaches, hopefully you'll already be somewhat comfortable with the material and won't have to cram study.

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Brian_Wu_3G wrote:I see everyone mentioning step up sessions. What are those again? I might want to attend them if they help.

Step up sessions basically go through prepared worksheets and practice problems based on the topic the week focuses on. They do help if you do not understand a certain topic.

Marianna_Shand_3H

Postby Marianna_Shand_3H » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Im having a difficult time to because I came in late and had to catch up, watching the videos on the website helps a lot though.

chinmayeec 2H

Postby chinmayeec 2H » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Something that works really well for me especially when it's a topic that I don't really understand is that I try to explain it out loud to myself. If I can actually explain it through as though I was teaching the concept, then I know I understand it. This also makes sure that the information sticks in my head, rather than just writing notes.

Jasraj Parmar 3H

Postby Jasraj Parmar 3H » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:40 pm

I think the modules are instrumental in understanding the material. Those problems go well in-depth in the material and I think if you get those then you really understand the material. I was wondering also on more ways to study everyone has some great tips!

Nicolette Simoni 3L

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi,

Towards the end of the week, I'm going to make a summary page of every topic we have learned and just neatly organize my notes. I am also going to redo all of the HW and post-module questions to help prepare for the midterm! Good Luck!

alebenavides

Postby alebenavides » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 pm

A way im studying is by taking notes and reading them over multiple times. I feel like this helps because I constantly repeat the notes I've taken to really retain the information needed.

John Pham 3L
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby John Pham 3L » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:25 pm

I've been going through the textbook and lectures, taking notes on the topics.
I usually do the practice problems for each section the day after I learn the content.

I just spend a lot of my time doing practice problems. I've gone to a bunch of UA workshops which have been pretty helpful.
For me, I learn best through reviewing and practicing frequently so I conceptually understand the topics covered.

Adam Bustamante 1I

Postby Adam Bustamante 1I » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Hey there,

What I do is everyday I do a section of the assigned, though not graded, homework problems from the ebook and then review them when completed. I had seen on the course syllabus that were encouraged to do those problems because some may appear on the midterms, so I’d definitely suggest attempting those. I also watch the organic chemistry tutor on YouTube for concepts I find confusing, and he’s super helpful. I also do the UA and other workshop worksheets for extra practice. Hope you can find a study groove that suits you :)

Jaclyn Dang 3B

Postby Jaclyn Dang 3B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:30 pm

I take notes,read the textbook, watch lectures and practice the textbook problems from the outline. I am going back and doing the modules again to make sure I understand it.

Jaden Ward 3J

Postby Jaden Ward 3J » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Hello! Similarly to others who have posted I take my time during the lectures and take note of which concepts are emphasized. Also, although the modules are repetitive of what the lectures are, I watch them and take notes on them anyways and it really solidifies the concepts! Also the post modules are very helpful to apply what youve learned to actual problems.

Lilly Catarozoli 1B

Postby Lilly Catarozoli 1B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Going to step-up sessions I think is very helpful! I also watch my lectures during the designated times even though they are pre-recorded. Hope this helps!

Victoria Dao 3G

Postby Victoria Dao 3G » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 pm

I completely understand being lost in chemistry, seeing that the pace is really fast! But to combat this, I try to take advantage of a little bit of all of our many resources! Of course we have the textbook and sapling to practice off of, but we also have the learning modules with really great and informative supplemental videos, office hours daily, and practice textbook problems to reinforce everything! Wishing you all the best with your chem studies!

Victoria Dao 3G

Postby Victoria Dao 3G » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 pm

I'd take notes and do most if not all of the practice problems on the syllabus! Then if you need any extra resources, step up session are a great place to get that extra help! The UA's are so so helpful.

Lily Kiamanesh 2G

Postby Lily Kiamanesh 2G » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 pm

Hi! I like to read a section of the textbook while taking notes and do the homework problems. Then I watch the lecture and take notes. After that I'll do the Sapling questions and attend a workshop/ office hours.

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D

Postby Uyenvy Nguyen 1D » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:06 am

I've been watching the modules, taking notes on those, and taking the assessments. Thinking about the midterm has really been stressing me out, but as of right now, I'm just working on the Sapling homework and making sure I understand each problem. I also plan on reviewing the fundamentals and doing a couple textbook problems this weekend.

Eileen Quach Dis 2A

Postby Eileen Quach Dis 2A » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:35 am

Hi! I would recommend doing corresponding practice problems from the textbook after each lecture because then the information is fresh in your mind. I also recommend not checking the answers in the solutions manual until you really can't solve the problem. You can make condensed study outlines/sheets for each lecture topic so that you focus on the essential ideas for each section. If you're having difficulty focusing, I recommend using Flora, which is a free app where you plant virtual trees for focusing for a given amount of time. It really helps me feel more motivated to keep practicing chemistry problems, especially when they get more challenging and it's easier to get distracted.

Cass Cheng 2A

Postby Cass Cheng 2A » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm also just reading the textbook and watching the audio-visual modules! They're pretty concise and help me to reinforce and retain the information from the lectures.

DominicMalilay 1F

Postby DominicMalilay 1F » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Its a mix of watching all the lectures, notes, and reviewing some old chem material from high school for the fundamentals for me!

Navdha Sharma 3J

Postby Navdha Sharma 3J » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:37 pm

I first go through all the pre-modules. Even though they are a bit lengthy and take up a lot of time, they are really useful. Then I watch the lectures and take notes on the topics that I might have not understood in the pre-modules. Then I do the textbook questions given in the syllabus - THEY ARE THE BEST! And of course, there is Chemistry Community to clear any doubts you may have. Hope this helps!

Neel Bonthala 2G

Postby Neel Bonthala 2G » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Personally, I've been studying mainly through textbook problems, especially because those types of problems will be put on future exams. Additionally, UA workshops are SUPER helpful for additional practice. Even if I can't make it to live sessions, I always try to do the worksheets posted on the shared drive.

Xinying Wang_3C

Postby Xinying Wang_3C » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:47 pm

I do believe the studying method varies from person to person, especially for chem. For me, I listen to lectures and practice on homework, there are definitely times that I have no clue how to start solving a question, then I will go to textbooks or chemistry community, sometimes you can find a similar problem in the textbook. And if you really struggle with some concepts, definitely seek help from TAs and UAs. And more importantly, I do believe many practices are necessary, at least for me.

Adrienne Yuh 2B

Postby Adrienne Yuh 2B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:35 am

Working with others, teaching people (just to solidify concepts), and watching review videos are all really good ways to study! Make sure to sleep well so you can retain information better :)

Ashlen Bullock 1H

Postby Ashlen Bullock 1H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:24 am

I usually do the practice problems, but I am also trying to read the textbook if I finish them. I also take notes.

Katie Lam 2J

Postby Katie Lam 2J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 pm

I find the audio-visual modules super helpful. I take very detailed notes when I watch the videos in the modules. The post-video assessments are also super useful. When I watch the recorded lectures, since I already have a general idea of what the topics are based on the audio-visual module videos, I just focus on what I don't know and take more notes if needed. I have been working on some of the optional textbook problems and am focusing on working on the topics I am having the most trouble with. I just think working on different problems is what I am going to focus on before the midterm.

NayeliPlayas_1L

Postby NayeliPlayas_1L » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:47 pm

I usually watch videos and I solve the problems that are presented in the video. I usually pause the video and try to solve it on my own but if i get stuck or if i'm confused I play the video to help clarify my confusion. The organic chemistry tutor on youtube has really great helpful videos. I would totally recommend them!

Kimiya Aframian IB

Postby Kimiya Aframian IB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:52 pm

apples wrote:Hi, I am having trouble being on top of my work so I was hoping so of you guys could kinda walk me through how you stay on top of Chem. Also do you have any tips on how to study for the midterm coming up?

Hi! I recently found that what works best for me is trying to read the textbook section prior to the Bruincast lecture so that when Dr. Lavelle speaks, I have a rough understanding of what he is saying rather than everything being new. Then, if needed, I can go back to the book and read what wasn't as clear to me. I also try to take notes during the recorded lecture so that I can keep track of what he says and also make sure that I am paying attention just because it is so easy to get distracted or tune out. Also, I do the textbook practice problems that he "assigned"/recommended. Hope this helps.

DMaya_2G

Postby DMaya_2G » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:19 pm

I think one of the best ways to study is to redo all of the homework problems assigned, modules, and worksheets from workshops and step-up sessions. Don't forget to take breaks in between when studying. Hope this helps!

Ryan_Kien_1L

Postby Ryan_Kien_1L » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:17 pm

I think the best way to study is to do the textbook questions and make sure you understand everything he says in the lectures. Rewatch them if you need to.

Rich Luong 1D

Postby Rich Luong 1D » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:19 pm

I do as many problems towards the topic as I possibly can. Sometimes doing the same problem over and over again could really help you develop your interpretation of the concept. Always take notes during lectures and do the modules also benefit you.

David Y

Postby David Y » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:41 pm

I have been doing all of the practice textbook problems that Professor Lavelle has posted as they are a good review of each topic and section that will be on the midterm.

Lung Sheng Liang 3J

Postby Lung Sheng Liang 3J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 pm

HI,

I will be rereading all the textbook sections that we have done and be doing all the practice problems Lavelle suggested. More importantly, I will be going over the Sapling HW multiple times.

Neha Gupta 2A

Postby Neha Gupta 2A » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Personally, I have been going through the outline questions and going to office hours as well to ask about any questions I don't understand. If you haven't done the audio visual modules yet I would highly recommend doing them because I'm a visual learner and it helped me to see Dr. Lavelle explain the concepts in the videos. The post assessment was also a good chance to get some practice with using the concepts I just learned.

Another thing that helped me to be less distracted when I work on exercises is to work in short bursts of time and also this sounds dumb but I started using Mario Kart music in the background and it actually helps me focus wayyy better so it's worth a try.

Good luck studying!!

Ryan_Page_1J

Postby Ryan_Page_1J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:20 pm

I rewatch lecturess, go through the focus modules, and work my way through the sapling and textbook problems addressing any concerns I may have.

Kevin Pilcher 3J

Postby Kevin Pilcher 3J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 pm

I am going to go through the textbook and sapling questions. Any question I'm confused, I'm going to read up on them.

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm

I find the audio visual modules very helpful as they introduce you to the concepts and you have a better understanding when watching the lectures. The post-assessments are also very helpful as they give you and opportunity to put into practice the concepts you just learned. The problems also allow you to determine what you still need to work on.
I would also recommend doing the optional textbook problems and attending the step-up sessions to continue to practice the concepts been taught.
Good luck on the midterm!

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:51 pm

I test myself frequently. Whether that's lecture concepts or giving myself a set of problems to do, testing oneself can be a good strategy to use.

JaesalSoma1E
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby JaesalSoma1E » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:27 am

For the midterm, I'm doing all the problems on outlines 1 and 2 (up to 1A.D) and all the audio-visual focus topics as well.

David Facio 3C

Postby David Facio 3C » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 am

I go about it by asking myself whether I fully understand the concepts. If I know that I don't have a full grasp on the conceptual, I review the lectures, textbook, and modules on Prof. Lavelle's Chem 14A website. If that still isn't sufficient, I would recommend attending office hours and step up sessions. If you understand the conceptual, you will likely understand when and where to apply the equations given for exams. Review and practice with problems from the lectures, textbook, sapling assignments and discussion sections. Take the time to study. There's still a whole weekend left for review! Good Luck you guys!

Kayla Booker 1F

Postby Kayla Booker 1F » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:12 am

For the midterm, I plan on reviewing using the audio visual videos, working through the textbook questions and also rewatching some lectures because I was confused on a few topics.

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 am

I like to rewrite some of my notes/key concepts and do a bunch of practice problems from the textbook, sapling, audio-visual modules, etc. It helps me to pay close attention to what problems I get wrong or common mistakes I make so I don't make the same mistakes during the midterm.

Jayden_Yamasaki_2J

Postby Jayden_Yamasaki_2J » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:13 pm

I try to complete the sapling problems and textbook problems little by little and as we learn the material. This way I'm not cramming everything in at one time and it gives me time to work on the topics that I need more help on. The modules that he put on his website are also super helpful and a good way to get more practice in!

Margaret Xu 3C

Postby Margaret Xu 3C » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:21 pm

To study for the midterm, I'm going to refer to the outlines posted on Professor Lavelle's website and review the notes and past homework we've done. I think I'm going to look over the Sapling questions and redo any textbook problems I've found difficult in the past!

BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F

Postby BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Audiovisuals,Textbook Problems, and Sapling. Also reading the textbook

SophiaJenny3I

Postby SophiaJenny3I » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi! Something I like to do is write my notes in a condensed form. So, basically I just walk through all my notes on lecture and try to make it all fit on 1-2 pages, handwritten. I also do this with the textbook readings. I really focus on what I'm writing on the condensed sheet and read through it a few times. In addition, I really like practicing problems over and over again. Don't spend too much time on the stuff you already know! Often it can feel comfortable going over things again and again that you are already comfortable with. Once you get to a problem you don't understand, go through it until you know! Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. Hope these tips help!

Shruti Kulkarni 2I

Postby Shruti Kulkarni 2I » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi! What I tend to do is attempt to practice problems so that I can understand the steps that should be taken to start each solution. By practicing lots of problems, I am able to grasp the overall flow of how to solve them quicker. For more conceptual topics, I take notes on them and then proceed to reread those notes to find out the essential parts of the info. I also like to watch videos on concepts to gain multiple different perspectives on them.

Alvin Lai 3J

Postby Alvin Lai 3J » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 pm

I just watch the lectures, take notes on the modules/do the assessments, and do the problems in the textbook. If I get stuck on a problem, I look at Chemistry Community to get help. Hope this helps!

David He

Postby David He » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:04 am

Hi, I have made a schedule about when and for how long I should study each subject; it does help me to keep on track. Good luck to you!

John_Tran_3J

Postby John_Tran_3J » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:23 am

I comprehends subjects more when written out. In other words, I rewatch the lectures and retake notes as a refresher, I then look up worksheets regarding each topic (ie: work function, molar mass, atomic spectra etc....)

Violet Kwan 3H

Postby Violet Kwan 3H » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:54 am

I am going to review all of the textbook homework questions since Dr. Lavelle said they are where he get a lot of test questions from. In addition, I will try to go over all of the questions from the UA workshops that I have been to and redo the questions that I missed. Looking over the lecture notes or notes that I took from the audio and visual topics should help to reinforce conceptual ideas that will be on the exam too :)

Ivy Tan 1E

Postby Ivy Tan 1E » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi!
I usually try to read the textbook sections that correspond to what we're learning before the lecture so I know what's going on when Professor Lavelle is going over it in class. Then, I'll take notes on the lecture and reread the textbook and take notes to solidify the information. For the midterm, I've been reviewing textbook problems and UA workshop worksheets for math practice. To study concepts, I read my textbook and lecture notes. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Austin Aldujaili 2D

Postby Austin Aldujaili 2D » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Personally, I feel that for chemistry doing practice problems is a great way to ensure that you are on top of the information. Sometimes, I would make a short outline or "cheat sheet" of the information I know as a refresher and to make sure I understand all of the concepts.

Christine Nguyen 3D

Postby Christine Nguyen 3D » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:42 pm

Hello,

As of right now, I take notes during his lectures/modules. I also find taking the post-assessments of his modules from his website super helpful because I'm able to practice solving questions. I'm also doing the textbook problems that are listed on Dr. Lavelle's outlines from his website. I'm also planning on attending a few workshops the week of the midterm to get some last minute practice in.

MichaelRaad_1F

Postby MichaelRaad_1F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:08 am

I'm just doing as many practice problems as I can and I'm also trying to form a study group where I can explain what I know and learn what I don't from others.

Elena Chen 2E

Postby Elena Chen 2E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:08 am

Personally, I've been making sure to keep up with the lectures on the day they are posted. That way I don't feel too overwhelmed by new information on any given day. I also remember hearing that many of Dr. Lavelle's exam questions are derived from the textbook problems so I suggest doing them even though they aren't graded. One more thing that helps is going to extra workshop/step-up sections since the UAs provide worksheets with even more practice problems as well as the solution during the sessions.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:06 pm

For the midterm, I'm studying by looking over all my notes from the lectures, testing my knowledge with the sapling questions, and then using the audio-visual lessons and the textbook problems for extra practice in any areas where I need more work.

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:19 pm

I have found that taking notes by hand and doing practice problems are the two best ways to really lock down certain concepts! However, for some of the tougher topics I turn to youtube for some helpful tips and tricks and it can be very useful if you're having trouble conceptualizing or visualizing ideas.

Adalia 3E

Postby Adalia 3E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:22 pm

For me reading through concepts and listening to lectures isn't as helpful as just doing practice textbook and module problems. I find it easier to remember things after applying them to problems myself

DPatel_2L

Postby DPatel_2L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:37 pm

I am watching the lectures and taking notes, and also going over the module and textbook questions.

Ethan Goode 2H

Postby Ethan Goode 2H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm

I have been using quizlets to help me memorize important concepts and working through textbook problems in groups. Working through problems with others is extremely beneficial to me!

Javier Perez M 1H

Postby Javier Perez M 1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Will we be provided with conversion units for the exam? (such as how many nanometers are in a meter and ml in a liter)
Or are we expected to memorize this?

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:55 pm

The best thing to do is attend step up sessions and do practice problems. Also understanding each topic conceptually will really help. If you are in AAP then plfs are great.

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:30 pm

Javier Perez M 2J wrote:Will we be provided with conversion units for the exam? (such as how many nanometers are in a meter and ml in a liter)

I think we are going to have to memorize that. But you will be given constants.

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Day Preciado 1H wrote:Reading some of the posts have been helpful, I'm personally struggling keeping track of material.

I agree. All these tips have been so helpful and I have been able to implement them into my studying.

Evonne Hsu 1J

Postby Evonne Hsu 1J » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:38 pm

I use my notes that were taken in the online modules (pre&post questions), during the lecture, during discussion sessions with TAs, homework q from textbook, sapling questions, and also questions discussed during step-up/UA/Lavelle's office hour sessions. You should be more than prepared by reviewing these questions and notes! Good Luck:)

Madeline Ogden 3B

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Color coding!!!!! The best way to study for me personally is compiling a list of all of the topics on a test and color coding them to see what topics I need the most review on and what topics I only need a refresh on. For this class, I've copy and pasted all of the topics from Outline 1 and all but the last 8 topics from Outline 2 and put them on a Google Doc, color coding each one either green, yellow, or red (green being I understand the topic, yellow being I'm almost there, and red being I don't understand the topic or need a lot of review on it). This way I'm able to more effectively manage my time and spend it mostly on red topics rather than taking the same amount of time for each topic (which would lead to a very good understanding on green topics and only a subpar understanding on red topics). Also, being able to highlight a topic in green rather than red after taking the time to review a red topic makes me feel accomplished and not as overwhelmed while studying as this course does have quite a bit of material to remember for its midterm. Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone!

Jamie Wang 3C

Postby Jamie Wang 3C » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:26 pm

Madeline Ogden 1D wrote:Color coding!!!!! The best way to study for me personally is compiling a list of all of the topics on a test and color coding them to see what topics I need the most review on and what topics I only need a refresh on. For this class, I've copy and pasted all of the topics from Outline 1 and all but the last 8 topics from Outline 2 and put them on a Google Doc, color coding each one either green, yellow, or red (green being I understand the topic, yellow being I'm almost there, and red being I don't understand the topic or need a lot of review on it). This way I'm able to more effectively manage my time and spend it mostly on red topics rather than taking the same amount of time for each topic (which would lead to a very good understanding on green topics and only a subpar understanding on red topics). Also, being able to highlight a topic in green rather than red after taking the time to review a red topic makes me feel accomplished and not as overwhelmed while studying as this course does have quite a bit of material to remember for its midterm. Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone!

This is very good advice! How did you test your understanding in order to color code or is it more like gut instinct?

Chloe Little 3K

Postby Chloe Little 3K » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:29 pm

I've been taking notes on all the lectures and doing all of the practice textbook questions assigned in the syllabus.

Chloe Little 3K

Postby Chloe Little 3K » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Javier Perez M 2J wrote:Will we be provided with conversion units for the exam? (such as how many nanometers are in a meter and ml in a liter)

Some conversions are on the constants and equations sheet, like kg to g, angstroms to meters, nanometers to meters, and picometers to meters.

Muskaan Abdul-Sattar

Postby Muskaan Abdul-Sattar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 pm

I'm trying to relisten to lectures and work through the textbook problems!

Faith Lee 2L

Postby Faith Lee 2L » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Watching the audio-visual focus topics really helped me! They're a great supplement to Dr. Lavelle's videos, and I find that the post-module assessments help me 1. identify concepts I'm weaker in, and 2. confirm my understanding in concepts I have more experience with :)

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 pm

I have been going through one textbook unit (ie Focus 1A and the practice problems) per night, working on the sapling homework, and doing the worksheets my TA has given me.

Hannah Chang 3K

Postby Hannah Chang 3K » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:04 pm

I found it helpful to review HW questions before the exam even if I got them right while doing them.

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Just to add on to some of the other great tips said above, I found that the homework problems from the textbook were a great study tool. Personally, I tend to learn better by practice, so I use those problems as a study tool before the test.

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:10 pm

I try to read the book on my free time and take extra notes on anything I might have found confusing during the lectures. During the weekend, I go over my notes to make sure that important concepts stick. I also work on the problems from the textbook and review the solutions to the sapling problems.

Madeline Ogden 3B

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Jamie Wang 3G wrote:
Madeline Ogden 1D wrote:Color coding!!!!! The best way to study for me personally is compiling a list of all of the topics on a test and color coding them to see what topics I need the most review on and what topics I only need a refresh on. For this class, I've copy and pasted all of the topics from Outline 1 and all but the last 8 topics from Outline 2 and put them on a Google Doc, color coding each one either green, yellow, or red (green being I understand the topic, yellow being I'm almost there, and red being I don't understand the topic or need a lot of review on it). This way I'm able to more effectively manage my time and spend it mostly on red topics rather than taking the same amount of time for each topic (which would lead to a very good understanding on green topics and only a subpar understanding on red topics). Also, being able to highlight a topic in green rather than red after taking the time to review a red topic makes me feel accomplished and not as overwhelmed while studying as this course does have quite a bit of material to remember for its midterm. Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone!

This is very good advice! How did you test your understanding in order to color code or is it more like gut instinct?

Thank you, I'm glad it was helpful! To test my understanding I've been taking a couple of problems from each section that he gives us on the outlines and seeing how easily I can do them. If I can do the problems with ease, then I only do a couple of them in order to refresh my memory and they're marked with green. If I understand the topic but am unable to do the problems without referring to my notebook or his lectures then they're marked with yellow. If I really don't understand a topic or am totally unable to do the problems then I'll mark the topic with red and either rewatch the lectures pertaining to it or I'll read through the textbook section.

Vanessa Perez

Postby Vanessa Perez » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:42 pm

I have been studying by doing the problems from the syllabus. There is an answer key on sapling website, so when I am stuck I refer to that. The document is called Atkins 7e SSM. good luck studying everyone!!!!

Brianne Conway 1D

Postby Brianne Conway 1D » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:05 pm

I personally don't have any significant studying techniques. I just take notes on stuff mentioned in lecture that is new to me and/or that seems important. Additionally, I just make sure to do the homework and all of the textbook problems for practice and obviously go over problems I miss and try to make sure I solidly learn the concepts behind them.

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:55 pm

apples wrote:Hi, I am having trouble being on top of my work so I was hoping so of you guys could kinda walk me through how you stay on top of Chem. Also do you have any tips on how to study for the midterm coming up?

I usually review all the textbook problems Professor Lavelle recommends, and review the sapling hw questions!

Victoria Dao 3G

Postby Victoria Dao 3G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Textbook problems and office hour sessions!

YUNALEE

Postby YUNALEE » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 pm

I read through the textbook sessions, do the practice problems and read through notes

Jasmine Yi 1G

Postby Jasmine Yi 1G » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:19 am

I've been looking at the homework we've done. So sapling and textbook problems.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”