Diffraction Pattern

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lily Mohtashami

Diffraction Pattern

Postby Lily Mohtashami » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Can someone explain what a diffraction pattern is exactly?

Sid Panda 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Diffraction Pattern

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:50 pm

Lily Mohtashami wrote:Can someone explain what a diffraction pattern is exactly?

Hi Lily,

A diffraction pattern is a pattern that is caused by a wave. It usually looks like a bunch of straight lines. These straight lines ocur because waves can interfere with each other and cause them to "cancel" out or amplify a certain region of light. Since light and electrons both behave like waves, they can cause diffraction patterns. I've linked a really nice video that explain this a bit more. Hope this helps

bgiorgi_3A

Postby bgiorgi_3A » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi Lily! I just wanted to add another description of what a diffraction pattern is based on what our lectures covered. Dr. Lavelle talked about throwing pebbles into water and how they make different waves. Think about throwing a handful of rocks into a pond and how the waves would clash with one another. Diffraction patterns arise when waves interfere with each other.

John Calonia 1D

Postby John Calonia 1D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm

I have an additional question regarding diffraction patterns, as said in the above comment, diffraction patterns are similar to pebbles in water. My question is are diffraction patterns the same thing as spectral lines or they completely different concepts. Are diffraction patterns more just for showing wavelike properties only.

MCalcagnie_ 1D

Postby MCalcagnie_ 1D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi John, now I could be totally wrong, but what I got from Dr. Lavelle's lectures and everything was the spectral lines and diffraction are two different concepts. Spectral lines are in relation to particles and diffraction is in relation to waves.

Madeline Louie 1I

Postby Madeline Louie 1I » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:06 pm

John Calonia 2F wrote:I have an additional question regarding diffraction patterns, as said in the above comment, diffraction patterns are similar to pebbles in water. My question is are diffraction patterns the same thing as spectral lines or they completely different concepts. Are diffraction patterns more just for showing wavelike properties only.

John, diffraction patterns are the result of interacting waves. The constructive and destructive interference displayed though the diffraction patterns during the double slit experiment proved the wave properties of electrons. Spectral lines correspond to the wavelength of light absorbed or emitted as an electron changes energy levels. Therefore, they are two different concepts.

Jasmine Yi 1G

Postby Jasmine Yi 1G » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:52 pm

Sid Panda 2A wrote:
Lily Mohtashami wrote:Can someone explain what a diffraction pattern is exactly?

Hi Lily,

A diffraction pattern is a pattern that is caused by a wave. It usually looks like a bunch of straight lines. These straight lines ocur because waves can interfere with each other and cause them to "cancel" out or amplify a certain region of light. Since light and electrons both behave like waves, they can cause diffraction patterns. I've linked a really nice video that explain this a bit more. Hope this helps

Does this mean that anything with wave properties has diffraction patterns?

ellenulitsky Dis 1I

Postby ellenulitsky Dis 1I » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:41 pm

^^^ yes I believe so since diffraction patterns are caused by waves! Hope this helps.

Nan_Guan_1L

Postby Nan_Guan_1L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:58 pm

just to add on to the discussion above, I find the textbook's summary of this very helpful: the textbook mentioned the wave-particle duality of electromagnetic radiation, and said the photoelectric effect means that electromagnetic radiation has particle like properties, and that diffraction means electromagnetic radiation has wave-like properties. hope that helps!!

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:24 pm

My interpretation was that a diffraction pattern is caused by waves!!!

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”