Inconsistencies in Delta Values

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sameer Chowdhury 3C

Inconsistencies in Delta Values

Postby Sameer Chowdhury 3C » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:08 pm

For the Heisenberg Indeterminacy Module, number 23 asks you to find the delta V given that the position is +/- 5. In order to get this question right you need to then make your delta X = 10. This contradicts what is said in the textbook. In 1B problem 27 you are similarly asked to find delta V given that position is 5 +/- 5. In order to get this problem right the delta X has to equal 5. If I see a question like this on the midterm which should I use as my delta value, given it is +/- y? Should the delta be y or 2y? I assume I need to use 2y given that matches up with the problem in the module and Dr. Lavelle made the module and presumably that problem but I'm not sure.

Racquel Fox 2I

Re: Inconsistencies in Delta Values

Postby Racquel Fox 2I » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:58 pm

I'm pretty sure that you generally do 2*y in order to get delta y because that is the same as (5+5 + 5-5). I'm not sure if the textbook is flawed, but I think unless there is a given value for delta y, you would multiply the number after the +/- by 2 in order to find it.

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 pm

If the uncertainty is given as a +/- we use the difference. For example, uncertainty 10 +/- 5 therefore the uncertainty we would use would be 10. However when the uncertainty is just given, diameter of an atom is " " then we would use that value. Hope this helps!

Varsha Ravi 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Varsha Ravi 3E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 pm

If the problem gives you +/- [a number, let's say it's 5], then the uncertainty would be twice that, or 10. I believe the answer to 1B.27 is an error in the textbook which shows up on the solution manual errors on the website.

Audra Mcleod 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Audra Mcleod 3G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:05 pm

Hello!
The answer to this problem is most definitely an error, as the uncertainty in velocity would be 10 m/s not 5. Mr. Lavelle corrected this in his "Solution Manuel Errors 7th Edition" on his website, and included the correct answer.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”