Atom Radius

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanna Huang

Atom Radius

Postby Joanna Huang » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Will we have to know in depth how to tell which atom has a smaller radius? I find it confusing how to determine which has a smaller radius between atoms (like oxygen) who experiences electron repulsion, atoms which has lost electrons (like Ne2-) or atoms which has gained electrons (like C2+), or like a normal atom like N.

Kyla Villarama 1E

Re: Atom Radius

Postby Kyla Villarama 1E » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:05 pm

On Sapling, the solution for question 18 was helpful to me in explaining what makes the radius smaller/larger. It basically says that the ion with the largest amount of protons has the smallest radius while the opposite is true (fewer protons = larger radius).

Hannah Alltucker 3L

Postby Hannah Alltucker 3L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:05 pm

I think understanding the general patterns of atom radius will be good to know. For normal atoms, know that radius tends to get smaller as you move from the left to the right on the periodic table. For any ions, know that when you add more electrons, there will suddenly be more same-same negative forces that push them all out more, and the radius gets larger. This is the opposite for removing electrons.

Joseph Hsing 2C

Postby Joseph Hsing 2C » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:08 pm

I think the most important concept to understand is the basic trends of ionization energy and atomic radius as you move down a period or group.

Joshua Swift

Postby Joshua Swift » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:20 pm

For the most part you just want to remember that atoms get bigger as you move toward the bottom left and smaller towards the top right and as you move right along a period due to higher nuclear charges and more protons pulling the electrons closer to the center.

Sarah Hernandez 1F

Postby Sarah Hernandez 1F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 pm

It might say on one of the outlines how much you need to know, but I think generally speaking that it's not necessary to remember all the exceptions, it would probably be helpful though.

Anthony_Sandoval_1D

Postby Anthony_Sandoval_1D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:33 pm

I would just try to remember that as you move towards the bottom left of the periodic table it increases while going to the top right is decreasing.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”