Textbook vs Lectures vs Other Methods

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Darren1j

Textbook vs Lectures vs Other Methods

Postby Darren1j » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:57 am

A question to anyone in 14a currently or who have already taken the class. How prepared are you for the tests by just watching the lectures, attending discussions and doing the sapling homework. Does reading the textbook thoroughly help significantly? What are ways you have found to be successful in this class?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Textbook vs Lectures vs Other Methods

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello! As a previous student of the class, I would suggest practice problems as much as possible whether that be assigned textbook problems, UA worksheets, Sapling, or the Audio-Visual topics!

Melody Wu 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:09 pm

I'm a current student and the modules (audio visual focus topics) have been really helpful for understanding the material prior to the lectures, so I can use the lecture to solidify the info in my mind instead of learning it for the first time. Practice problems are the most important thing in any STEM class so do all the textbook problems (he uses some in midterms I believe) and attend as many UA workshops as you can or at least get the worksheets. Also if you get something wrong, really work to understand why you did and how to prevent it next time (was it a careless mistake? lack of fundamental understanding?).

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:16 pm

I would say that modules are REALLY helpful, especially the post-modules, because it gives you an idea of what to expect when you move on to the lecture videos. By using the modules, you go into the lecture already knowing the basic information that is required for that lecture and it makes watching the lectures much smoother. The post module assessments for the modules are also really helpful in my opinion because it gives extra practice while also preparing me for the textbook problems. Discussions so far have been good because my TA walks us through practice problems and I definitely feel more comfortable with the fundamentals because of it :)

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm

I am a current student and I have found all of Dr. Lavelle's resources on his website are helpful. But since lectures are prerecorded, I really find the UA workshops the most helpful once I've completed the audio visual topics and the lectures. The UA sessions also include unique workshops so you can attend multiple throughout the week.

Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F

Postby Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 pm

I am a current student in Chem14a and I suggest doing as much practice as possible as a form of studying. The audio-visual modules have helped me a lot to reinforce and test my understanding of the content. UA sessions are also a good resource since the UAs are previous students who have been in your place (and may be able to explain things in a way you understand more). As for the textbook, I think the textbook problems are really beneficial. Again, they give you the necessary practice with problem-solving, and Dr. Lavelle mentioned that he would use some of them in the exams.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:58 pm

Most of my studying so far has been attending the lectures, doing the assigned Sapling questions, and then using the textbook questions for additional review on certain areas I need more practice in :)

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi! I am currently in 14a. Personally, I have found that the lectures and sapling assignments cover the material really well. I use the textbook to review concepts and the textbook problems to prepare for the midterm exam (especially for concepts I have more difficulty with).

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:44 pm

I find the audio-visual topics very helpful and also the textbook problems.

Edward Castro

Postby Edward Castro » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:46 pm

The textbook problems are what I find the most helpful .

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:48 pm

I find the audio-visual modules very helpful in explaining the topics. I also feel as though doing a lot of practice problems is the most efficient way to apply your knowledge.

Breanna Ouyang 1I

Postby Breanna Ouyang 1I » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:51 am

Honestly I think keeping up with lectures, doing the sapling problems, and attending workshops help me best. The textbook readings don't help much and the textbook questions too. Going through full practice problems during workshops help a lot more and the homework problems feel more comprehensive than the textbook ones because they give feedback and are more targeted. I think it's best to just skim the readings for general concepts and consolidate them with lecture.

Shanna Yu 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Shanna Yu 1C » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:09 am

I agree with most of the others in the audio-visual topics and the textbook problems! I've only been to one workshop so far and that was pretty okay, but the Sapling questions as well as the homework on the syllabus are what help me feel more prepared for things. :>

Keeryth Sandhu 1H

Postby Keeryth Sandhu 1H » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:04 am

I think the textbook problems and UA sessions are really helpful!

Ruochen Yang 3B

Postby Ruochen Yang 3B » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Hi! I think sapling questions are very valuable sometimes, and in order to prepare for tests, I would do some textbook questions! Hope this will help!

Nicolette Simoni 3L

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Hi!

What has worked best for me is first watching the lectures, then doing the reading, then spending alot of time on the textbook and sapling questions. They give me good practice. I also go over the unit outlines and fill them out to make sure I've covered all the unit material.

Hannah Chang 3K

Postby Hannah Chang 3K » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:24 pm

I watched the lectures and make notes first, then jump into the homework; if I don't understand something, I use hints and search on the chemistry community or just the Internet. And finally, go to the textbook.

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:08 pm

I'm a current student! For MT 1, I watched all the audiovisual modules, lectures, and did the sapling. Honestly I felt like that could have been enough but I also did the textbook problems and went to a lot of the UA workshops. Overall, all of this combined made me feel super confident on the exam and I was pleased with my score. I'm sure for MT 2 we might have to work a little harder though since it's becoming more difficult.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”