Taking Bio and Chem simultaneously

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicole Attiq 3D

Taking Bio and Chem simultaneously

Postby Nicole Attiq 3D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:54 pm

I was wondering if it's a good idea to take bio and chem at the same time next quarter as a pre-med student. Is anyone doing that right now? How's the workload?

Hailey Qasawadish 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Taking Bio and Chem simultaneously

Postby Hailey Qasawadish 2J » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:55 pm

I was actually wondering the same thing! I am not sure if it will be too much considering we will be taking another 1 or 2 classes as well.

Algernon Jackson 2l

Postby Algernon Jackson 2l » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:03 pm

I am doing right now. All I can say is I am doing well in bio, but horrible in chem.

TJ Lai 2H

Postby TJ Lai 2H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:13 pm

I'm taking the LS7A along with Chem14A right now. It's not too bad of a combination, but I've found LS7A to be more time-consuming than Chem (it takes me longer to memorize/understand the concepts). I retained basically zero information from high school biology and chemistry though, so if you still remember a lot of material from HS bio and chem it might not be so bad! Even so, I've been doing fairly well in both classes.

Simer_Shera_2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Simer_Shera_2D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:42 pm

I have a friend who is taking 7A and like others have said, it's definitely a lot more of a heavy workload compared to Chem 14A. I think your ability to manage both courses depends on what other courses you're enrolled in (an easy GE maybe?) and what other commitments you have. If you choose to take both, definitely practice some good time management and I think you'll be golden. Good luck :)

Sarah Hernandez 1F

Postby Sarah Hernandez 1F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:44 pm

I've heard from upperclassmen that it's not recommended to double up on science classes winter quarter of freshman year since it ends up being a lot of work, so if you can it might be better to look into GEs for your third/fourth class.

Aliya Roserie 3I

Postby Aliya Roserie 3I » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:04 pm

I do not recommend taking them simultaneously as they both require a lot of time and effort for both. I do recommend completing chemistry before the LS series. Chemistry is a lot of pre reqs for other classes you would need to take later on.

jasmineculilap_3F

Postby jasmineculilap_3F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm taking LS7A and Chem14A at the same time right now. I think LS7A has more work because of launchpad, but it's manageable as long as you don't procrastinate a lot.

VanessaZhu2L

Postby VanessaZhu2L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm doing LS7C and chem 14a right now and I think that the homework for bio is definitely more time consuming. We have readings due before every class which can take a while to read, but the class itself isn't too challenging if you do the readings and understand the clicker questions in lecture. But it is definitely doable.

Janna Shakiba

Postby Janna Shakiba » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Taking them at the same time is totally doable! I am taking 14A and 7C right now and my schedule feels very balanced. Also, there are so many pre-med requirements, you're going to have to double up at some point!

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Algernon Jackson 2l wrote:I am doing right now. All I can say is I am doing well in bio, but horrible in chem.

Yeah, same. I am taking chem and bio at the same time. I am doing ok in bio and currently failing chemistry! Definitely manageable :)

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:30 pm

I believe that taking Bio and Chem aren't that bad because some of the topics are connected. The work load is a lot, so since we are also in quarantine with not much to do, it is definitely something I would suggest.

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:34 pm

From what I've heard, you need to have good time management to do this since both classes have heavy reading! Since I think I've got the hang of balancing my classes, I will be doing this next quarter since I think it's good practice. For the next few years, we would have to take heavy classes together and for me, I think it'd be helpful to start now!

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm

I was wondering the same thing, and talked with one of my friends who is in this situation. He said that the main thing is just that it is time consuming so as long as you are organized and on top of the work in both classes, it is not too bad conceptually. He actually said that he draws a lot of connections between the two classes and that it actually sometimes helps him to retain the information better when he is able to apply it to concepts from another class.

Sreeram Kurada 3H

Postby Sreeram Kurada 3H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Instead of taking bio and chem at the same time, I would recommend completing your GEs, as two science classes could be a lot of work.

Mari Williams 1K

Postby Mari Williams 1K » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:25 pm

Bio and chem simultaneously is manageable, especially since there is some overlap. Try to avoid chem and physics at the same time :) It's not going well

Hasan Mirza 3F

Postby Hasan Mirza 3F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 pm

The advice I got from premeds from earlier years was to choose bio or chem to do first along with math and then take the other science after. I guess taking both at the same time is doable, but I don't have the study habits to sustain that level of work so I'm taking bio after I finish chem.

alexandralopez 3F

Postby alexandralopez 3F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Im taking both right now and personally Im doing a lot better in bio than I am in chem. I think its doable if you know how to manage your time efficiently

Sean Phen

Postby Sean Phen » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:46 pm

I am also a pre-med student, and I am taking bio and chem together. It depends on the person, but I don't think it's a good idea. I am not the best at science.

Micaela Estavillo

Postby Micaela Estavillo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

I think its best to take a series at a time like maybe chem 1st year and bio series second year

jessicaosuna_1F

Postby jessicaosuna_1F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm taking LS7A and Chem 14A right now and its definitely doable as long as you're good at keeping up with stuff and your other classes aren't too hard. My midterms actually end up on the same day as well coincidentally, but I'm doing okay with that too.

jia207

Postby jia207 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 pm

I am also planning on taking Chem and bio at the same time next quarter. Just wondering has anyone taken Chem 14 B with LS7A? Is chem 14B more challenging than chem 14A?

SophiaBarden 2E

Postby SophiaBarden 2E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm

The LS7 series can be very time consuming but the most relevant information for tests is always presented in lectures! Launchpad is an online course that you must complete before each class, but for the most part, it is an information dump that you simply have to sort through by tuning into the most covered topics in class. Taking both Chem and Bio at the same time is manageable but if you're a freshman then I would definitely fill your third and/or fourth class with a GE!

Constance Newell

Postby Constance Newell » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 pm

I'm doing both right now too. Honestly the concepts aren't that difficult, it just takes more time. It's not to difficult to take both. just don't sike yourself out and manage your time properly.

Kiana Javier 3G

Postby Kiana Javier 3G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi! I'm a sophomore here, and I'm currently taking Chem14a and LS7c at the same time. It's definitely manageable! Both of these classes are very dependent on your ability to pace and discipline yourself, however, so I would keep that in mind for scheduling. Anyways, lots of premed student do this, so you wouldn't be alone! I would just suggest your third class maybe not be as intense as these ones are, but I definitely think it would be fine taking bio and chem together. Best of luck, you got this!

Xinyu Li 1C

Postby Xinyu Li 1C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm taking LS7B and CHEM14A this quarter along with LS30A and another GE. The workload is not too bad but it's certainly not light. It's definitely doable if you are willing to put in the effort.

Minh Nguyen 3H

Postby Minh Nguyen 3H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Taking my bio and chem classes simultaneously right now, and honestly they both take lots of time to really study the material. At this point I've prioritized my bio class over chem, which probably isn't the best idea for pre-med. I'd recommend taking one of the series before doing the other honestly.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”