Dipole Dipole Interactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Cisneros 1F

Dipole Dipole Interactions

Postby Cecilia Cisneros 1F » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Would a bond between C-Cl be enough to experience dipole-dipole interactions? How do we determine whether there is a dipole moment present if we are just given the molecular formula and the molecule does not include N,O,F (the most electronegative atoms on the PT).

Ashlen Bullock 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Dipole Dipole Interactions

Postby Ashlen Bullock 1H » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 pm

I think C-Cl would experience dipole-dipole interactions. I believe that dipole-dipole interactions occur when there is a difference between electronegativities in a molecule. However, they do not occur in nonpolar molecules. At least that is the way I think of it.

Cecilia Cisneros 1F

Postby Cecilia Cisneros 1F » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Ashlen Bullock 1K wrote:I think C-Cl would experience dipole-dipole interactions. I believe that dipole-dipole interactions occur when there is a difference between electronegativities in a molecule. However, they do not occur in nonpolar molecules. At least that is the way I think of it.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, so would you say nonpolar only occurs between diatomic molecules (Br2, H2, F2) or with small electroneg. diff (C-H)? Or do you think we would be provided an electronegativity chart to determine this?

Jade_Tai_2L

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:13 pm

I thought of the nonpolar molecules as the ones consisting of non-metal atoms (which therefore, yes, Br2, H2, F2 would be nonpolar). I never really thought about the small electronegativity differences and if that factored in as well. Hopefully someone answers this :')

Marisa Gaitan 2D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Marisa Gaitan 2D » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Cecilia Cisneros 1J wrote:
Ashlen Bullock 1K wrote:I think C-Cl would experience dipole-dipole interactions. I believe that dipole-dipole interactions occur when there is a difference between electronegativities in a molecule. However, they do not occur in nonpolar molecules. At least that is the way I think of it.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, so would you say nonpolar only occurs between diatomic molecules (Br2, H2, F2) or with small electroneg. diff (C-H)? Or do you think we would be provided an electronegativity chart to determine this?

If all dipole moments in a molecule can cancel and it is symmetric, then it will also be considered nonpolar. For example, CCl4 is nonpolar because its dipoles all cancel. I found some really good youtube videos explaining this in more depth, so I think it would be good to search around on there too for more examples.

Jasraj Parmar 3H

Postby Jasraj Parmar 3H » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 pm

Dipole Dipole interactions occur when there are two polar molecules that interact with each other.

Ashlen Bullock 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ashlen Bullock 1H » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 am

I think that H and C(for hydrocarbons) have such a low electronegativity difference that they are considered nonpolar and therefore only have dispersion forces. Examples of this would be molecules like CH3 and CH2CH3. Basically any molecule with only C and H.

Binyu You

Postby Binyu You » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:24 am

I believe dipole dipole interactions is when two polar molecules with each other and when the slightly positive end interact with the slightly negative end.

Return to “Dipole Moments”