Studying From Home

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Studying From Home

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Personally, I find it difficult to study at home. Before corona, I used to go to cafes or libraries, but due to obvious reasons I haven't been able to do that lately. Any tips on how to stay focused from home?

SophiaJenny3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Studying From Home

Postby SophiaJenny3I » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi! I definitely like to take breaks every once in a while as an incentive. It's hard when you're at home because it's hard to gauge how much you should be studying, so don't beat yourself up about it! It's important to take breaks and clear your mind. I sometimes like to pick up coffee or a snack curbside if I have a really heavy day of work and it puts me in a better mood. Even just promising myself after I work through a certain amount of work or specific task I can watch a show on Netflix or something like that is super helpful. Also, I like to make a rough schedule for the day or a checklist (depending on the things I need to get done) and that helps to keep me honest!

VincentLe_3A

Postby VincentLe_3A » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:47 pm

For me personally, I find myself often tired and unfocused in my bedroom, so what I do is find a spot in the house which I use exclusively for studying. This change in environment is beneficial because it conditions my brain to think that it is "study time" whenever I go to this spot, instead of my bedroom which makes my brain think it is rest time. Also, silencing and getting rid of my phone for 1-2 hour intervals allow me to stay focused in deep study sessions, where there are no distractions. This is easier said than done, so I would suggest starting with perhaps 30 minute intervals and placing your phone in a different room.

Hope this helps.

Melissa Solis 1H

Postby Melissa Solis 1H » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:03 pm

When I first came back home (when LA shut down and everyone on campus was advised to go home), it was pretty difficult. Finishing Spring quarter was especially rough since I wasn't used to being back home however, I took it as a learning experience.

the problems I had were, no motivation, procrastination, getting distracted easily, and not attending my lectures because they were recorded. So what I did this quarter I started a routine based off my schedule.

- I began attending my lectures that provided live meetings (even if they were recorded) to get a better sense of structure in my day
- During classes I would put my phone on do not disturb and set it far away from me.
- If you have a desk inside your room, I would recommend working outside of it just because you want to be as far away as possible form your bed because it is very tempting. Plus you want to separate your work space from your comfort/relaxation space (yes, it's annoying having to leave your room but trust me, it really helps you mentally)
- Give yourself breaks. Especially if you can't focus at all. If you find yourself rereading the same page over and over again, it's best to stop, take a breather and come back to it because you're basically wasting your time and energy on forcing yourself.
- Lastly, and this may be hard for some, definitely have a quiet place where you can work alone and no one will distract you. You may need to set boundaries with your parents/siblings for this. It's awkward but in the end it's for your best and it helps a ton knowing that a family member won't walk behind you during a zoom class.

Hope this helps you as much as it's helped me :)

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:05 pm

It helps to change locations while studying at home! Sometimes I'd find myself unable to focus in my bedroom, but I've found that it helps to go to a different area in my house to study. Also, I recently read an article that said studying in various locations helps you retain the information you're learning. Here's the article, for reference: https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informe ... trategies/

Hope this helps and best of luck studying! :)

Alex Mele 2A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Alex Mele 2A » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:15 pm

It's also helpful for me to have a designated study spot without many distractions. I like to have tea or coffee with me in a quiet spot and my phone in another room. It also helped me when studying for this midterm to make a checklist of everything I wanted to review. I listed lecture notes, textbook problems, chapter outlines, chemistry community, etc. I felt very productive getting through everything I wanted to study and incentivized to keep going.

Summer_Corona 3L

Postby Summer_Corona 3L » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:17 pm

I think the first thing you should do if possible is to not study somewhere where you're too comfortable. If you tend to study in your bed or just room in general, I would suggest moving to some place different. I also would suggest making a schedule where you have free time after studying so that you have an incentive to get it done. Lastly, studying with others is always helpful to keep you more focused. Hope this helps!

Molly_Peterson_2F

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:27 pm

I would agree with previous comments recommending that you study in a different location in your house. If that is not possible I would suggest that you get a desk for your room or designate a specific spot where you only study. For me, one thing that also really helps is turning off notifications on my computer and putting my phone somewhere not easily accessible to avoid distractions.

Anna Martin 2l

Postby Anna Martin 2l » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi! I have also found prioritizing studying to be a huge challenge from learning at home. What has helped me a lot is to set a schedule and plan my day for when I allot time for work and when I get free time. Additionally, I find that going into a new environment, even outside my bedroom or out of my bed, has been tremendous to motivate me to actually stay focused and complete my assignments. I know it's still very hard and is definitely going to take some time to get used to, but at least we're all in this together!

Hannah Biju 1E

Postby Hannah Biju 1E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi! I agree it is definitely more difficult to study from home but what most helps me is to incentivize myself with breaks and something I can look forward to once I finish my work. I also find it helpful to limit the number of distractions in the room as best as you can. I also try to set a loose schedule of the times that I will work on different things, padding the times in case I don't start something right away. It might just be me, but I find that setting a stringent schedule only serves to stress me out further.

Mahnoor_Wani_1I

Postby Mahnoor_Wani_1I » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi !
I agree with you that studying at home has been really challenging for many. I think the best tip is to make a schedule and stick to it. Schedule for when you are going to do homework, study, or attend UA sessions. Also when studying follow the 45 min rule. Study for 45 min and take a 10 min break. I think continiously studying without taking breaks is horrible because your brain is going to essentially get tired

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi! So I use this app called Forest to help me concentrate. Basically with this app, you plant "trees" over a certain amount of time (that you get to choose) and if you leave the app or open any other apps, your tree dies. Your goal is to build a "forest" after each week, and if you kill a tree, the dead tree stays in your forest forever! This app really helped me get off my phone and focus more on studying; there are some days where I have up to 8 hours of planting. I highly recommend getting this app if you struggle with concentrating at home :) I also listen to throwback music before I start working because it stimulates my brain activity and makes me feel more motivated to work!

Julianna_flores3E

Postby Julianna_flores3E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:45 pm

I tend to just change where I study. I like to designate different areas to different things because I tend to get used to an environment (my bedroom) an dI tend to lose focus. If you can change locations even within your house it may help you focus.

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi! Like many others, I have found it difficult to concentrate while studying at home, but I have a desk that I sit at and close my door while I am trying to intensely focus. Otherwise, I like to sit outside on my patio while studying or opening my window to get a fresh breeze. Without fresh air, it might feel suffocating and as if you're being forced to study. It helps put me in the right mindset, and also try to think of the long term goal you set for yourself such as why you are studying and what you hope to become after college. These help motivate me. One last tip is to surround yourself with others who are motivated since you might otherwise lack motivation. I hope this helps, and good luck studying!

Ethan Goode 2H

Postby Ethan Goode 2H » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:49 pm

Try to separate the place that you do work from other places in your house. I use a designated office to do all of my focus work, and therefore it is not associating with fooling around.

Daniela_Martinez_3B

Postby Daniela_Martinez_3B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:00 am

I feel you! It's really easy to get distracted at home, so it's really important to have a designated place where you can study with no distractions. I definitely recommend using the pomodoro technique. I also like listening to lofi beats on youtube to help me focus lol.

David Facio 3C

Postby David Facio 3C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:21 am

Every day, I'm surrounded by seven insanely loud children of varying ages in my household. No one appreciates a library more than I do! I completely agree that studying from home is a lot more difficult now, especially if you need privacy and silence to focus. I've been able to study best late at night when no one is awake. Since I work during the day immediately after lecture, the only time I have available for schoolwork is in the evening. I dedicate my nights to heavy reading, deep diving into concepts and problem solving. You just gotta make the best of your situation! I know I'm easily distracted, so I leave my phone in a separate room and don't touch it until I've completed an appropriate chunk of homework problems and study hours. If you go the NO PHONE route, I personally recommend keeping an agenda/planner (or at the very least - a list) to keep everything from assignments to reminders readily available for review. When studying, make sure to vary your subjects/classes. You don't want to burn yourself out for hours at a time on one subject. Keeping a rotating schedule helps when you feel stuck on a problem. Hope this helps! Good Luck during these trying times! You got this!

Simi Kapila_3E

Postby Simi Kapila_3E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:44 am

Definitely give yourself some breaks. Your brain can easily get fried staring at a screen all day. Also I would recommend exercising, or just going for a walk. Personally, I always feel really refreshed after I go on a run. But anything that helps clear your mind. Whether that be just going outside for a little bit or taking a quick power nap, or whatever else, I think that could just help you feel more focused when you do get back to work.

Bronson Mathos 1H

Postby Bronson Mathos 1H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:55 am

Personally, I find myself being mostly distracted by my phone while at home and being at home can lower your sense of urgency to do your work. I would recommend removing your phone from your workspace, and if that's not possible then try to set screen time limits on the apps that distract you. I'd also recommend finding small amounts of time to get away from your workspace as being in the same environment can get frustrating.

Jessie Hsu 1C

Postby Jessie Hsu 1C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 am

You can find out the greatest source of distraction for you, and combat it first. For me, my greatest distraction is my phone, but I can't just put it away in another room because of possible emergencies. Thus, I downloaded a Pomodoro app on my phone called Forest (I believe someone already mentioned it above) which helped me greatly. Even though it's better to develop intrinsic motivation for studying, this method of forcibly keeping you focused is a start. Also, think back to what specific factors in the cafes/library you studied in made you focused. Was it the background sounds? The smell of coffee? The social facilitation of others working beside you? Try to recreate those factors in your study space if possible!

Samantha Low 3D

Postby Samantha Low 3D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:17 am

I like to make myself coffee or tea while I study. I think it helps me just get in the zone and feel some sense of normalcy. If you are able too, I would also recommend going outside to study with study music. I feel like ambiance of the outdoors and music give a nice background noise.

Postby 905409193 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:22 am

I think an important thing to do is to not overwork yourself. Not only will this make you less productive but it may also affect your health so remember to take breaks and to look away from the screen when you can. Times are tough and there's no denying that school just isn't the same but it's very important that we prioritize our health. Make sure to give your eyes some rest and get some sleep!

Postby 505352202 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 am

I like to study outside and get some sunlight. It easy to forget about breaks and your health when you have multiple classes to worry about. I take multiple mental breaks when I study, and sometimes when things are not clicking, I go for a walk/jog to clear my mind before coming back to the problem.

Mahika More 1H

Postby Mahika More 1H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:17 am

One thing I do is definitely keep my phone away from me. It helps me focus and keeps away any distractions. I also like to prepare my workspace before I work there. By this I mean grab water, clean my desk, and etc. I definitely understand the struggle of working at home so I hope this helps!

Kendall_Dewey_2D

Postby Kendall_Dewey_2D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:42 am

One way I find it easier to stay focused at home is by setting a certain amount of time to do work, and designating specific breaks in between! It’s easier for me to concentrate for 30 minutes or whatever the time may be when I know I can have a 15 minute break afterward! :)

Sachi Sengupta 2C

Postby Sachi Sengupta 2C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:59 am

Hi! I'm not sure where you're from so it might be too cold but I love to study outside. During the pandemic it's vital to go outside and get some fresh air and I find that it stimulates my brain a lot more too.

Emma Chang 1G

Postby Emma Chang 1G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi! I find the that having things to look forward to after sitting through a lecture or getting a good amount of homework done is pretty helpful for me. Usually that'll be a snack or some time to work on a hobby I enjoy. I also have a hard time studying on a bed or a couch since it's easy to fall asleep there, so I try to find a desk that's free from distractions. I've started listening to lofi beats on YouTube; to me they sound similar to cafe music, and they're not too distracting as long as I'm not trying to read something that's tedious or difficult. Best of luck!

Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F

Postby Angela Marie Guevarra Dis3F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:23 pm

It's relieving to see that so many people are finding ways to work around studying at home. I study and concentrate best in libraries and cafes, I find that the public aspect of it keeps me more accountable and stops me from indulging in distractions. Trying to achieve the same thing at home is challenging. Many people mentioned to have a designated space to work and take breaks, which I also agree with. I think another important aspect is to study when you have the most energy. Notice which tasks take up what amount of energy and balance out your days so that you're managing your energy well. Here's more reading on energy management: https://hbr.org/2007/10/manage-your-ene ... -your-time

Also, listening to some chill music helps me concentrate and lift my mood while studying. Recently for me it's ranged from lo-fi, jazz, video game music, or any other ambience playlists on Youtube. The most recent playlist I've enjoyed is Ratatouille themed hehe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZiMZS ... Soundcloud

Luveia Pangilinan 1A

Postby Luveia Pangilinan 1A » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Honestly, I hate online school. I never get motivated to do anything at home. I like it whenI'm at school because it gives off the vibe that actually makes me want to grind studying. The test score I got for chemistry honestly disappointed me and I'm really sad about it. But at the same time, I can't blame anything but the habits I carry on with studying when I'm at home. One thing I will say for sure though is that because of that test, I will try and change my ways of studying. One most important thing though is that do not overwork yourself and not give yourself any free time. I think a good ratio of 4:3, workdays and break days, is good for you physical and mental and is enough for you to study well. When you do study, make sure to turn off your phone and keep it away. However, some people prefer to have their phones to put on music while studying. If that works for you, go for it! Also do not grind the whole day just studying. Break your day apart. From what time to time will you study? When will you take your first break? When will you start working again? When's your next break? And lastly, try to avoid pulling all-nighters.

Halle Villalobos 3E

Postby Halle Villalobos 3E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi! Similar to you, I have a hard time staying motivated and focused to do my work when I am in the comfort of my own room. I found the Pomodoro technique to be extremely helpful for me to prevent burnout and to stay on task. I also make sure all my devices are on do not disturb and don't check them until the 25 minute work time is over. I hope this helps and best of luck with your studies!

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 pm

One thing that has been very helpful to me is to keep you phone in another room, because then you won't even think about accessing your phone. Also I would suggest in getting some sort of earplugs or earmuffs if your surrounding area is very loud.

Arti_Patel_3H

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:56 pm

I usually listen to music when I study, but I found that with chemistry, it was easier for me to focus on the lectures and the homework when my music wasn't playing.

Joel Meza 3I

Postby Joel Meza 3I » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:17 pm

I would recommend taking consistent rest breaks to relax your eyes off of your computer screen. We are required to now spend hours looking at a computer screen which fatigues our sight and mind. Definitely use your breaks to do something where you don't look at any screens. I usually take a nap since I have been losing sleep, but if that doesn't seem like something you would want to do, go find something else like drawing or one of your hobbies. Also, be sure to keep your phone or any other distractions in a different room while you study as we tend to look at them because there are no restrictions from using our phones during class because we're at home.

AntonioZarich2E

Postby AntonioZarich2E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:19 pm

When I have to really cram for something, I make sure that I am cold and sitting in an uncomfortable spot. It makes me want to study efficiently and makes sure I don't get drowsy.

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:26 pm

I have struggled so much with online classes and all these tips have been very helpful so thank you guys.

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:30 pm

What I've doing is I set this certain space as my study area. I don't do anything there but study, so when I go there, I can be productive! Recently, I also joined Discord productivity servers to hold me accountable, so I recommend searching it up and trying it out!

Sreeram Kurada 3H

Postby Sreeram Kurada 3H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:33 pm

I have been practicing daily mindfulness every morning by running in a nearby park. This helped me release all my energy, so once I got home I could concentrate on my school work.

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:42 pm

For me, having a schedule is a major key to being able to study effectively. I look at my day the night before every night and find a block of time where I can just devote myself to studying and/or homework. I make it seem like an appointment because if I am just siting at home, it is easy to just get lazy and not start for a long time. Once I start, I just put music on and set my phone aside so as to reduce distractions. At first, I found it hard to concentrate for a long period of time so I would give myself breaks at predetermined times and hold myself accountable to return to studying at the end of my break. However, I have really gotten used to this system and it makes me less stressed by planning ahead when I will do my work.

Jalyn Davis 3D

Postby Jalyn Davis 3D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 pm

I find that changing around my study space every once in a while can be helpful because I get tired of sitting in one place all day to do my work. Along with that, I think natural light and being outside can be really refreshing, but I know the weather isn't the best for that this time of year. Taking breaks is also crucial because it's easy to get burnt out if you're studying nonstop. Also not sure if you're into tea, but I like making myself a cup to relax while I work.

jia207

Postby jia207 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 pm

For me what has helped is developing a routine and putting on nice clothes to make myself feel better. I feel I can be more productive at home when I am wearing nice clothes as opposed to sweatpants.

Sheryl Ocampo 1D

Postby Sheryl Ocampo 1D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:29 pm

I find that I get lazy when I study indoors, especially when I'm in comfortable clothes. I've been trying to study either in my backyard or at coffee shops with outdoor seating to motivate myself

Brianna Martilla 1C

Postby Brianna Martilla 1C » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:46 pm

I also find it hard to study because of distractions at home, such as my family members, noise, my phone, etc. I try to isolate myself from distractions as best as possible and PLAN what I am going to do and by when. Making a plan is like creating short term goals for the day, and will motivate you further to complete them.

Day Preciado 1H

Postby Day Preciado 1H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:04 pm

I really need to take some of your advices because the online platform has really got me all over the place.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:18 pm

I get distracted really easily, whether that be because of my phone or family, and so I make sure to always work in my room at my desk where it's the quietest for me. Using a timer for studying and homework definitely helps, as it gives me a little pressure to finish my task in time and it keeps me on track, so that I don't fall behind my schedule for the day/week.

Ryan Agcaoili 2E

Postby Ryan Agcaoili 2E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:26 pm

Personally for me, I study in an area that provides the least distractions. Staying in an environment that is less likely to influence you to distract yourself will actually help a lot. In addition, muting notifications on your phone or just putting in away from your presence will definitely keep you focused.

Andy Hernandez

Postby Andy Hernandez » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:47 pm

I throw my phone against the wall and attempt to not touch it for at least an hour. If you're stuck, try to have a couple people you can ask questions to and hopefully they can explain it to you.

Teti Omilana 1G

Postby Teti Omilana 1G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:11 pm

What works best for me is making sure that I separate the places where I study vs where I relax. Personally working in my room is very distracting for me, so if you have an office or extra space in the house that you can work that might help. Another thing I do is using the "downtime" feature on my phone, and I set specific hours of the day where I can't access certain social media apps so I can really focus. Don't forget to take breaks!

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:15 pm

I find visual signs of my productivity (calendars, lists) on the wall against my desk to be really helpful. I also make a list of the things I want to do after I get some tasks or studying done as an incentive for getting through the work.

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:19 pm

My best recommendation is to study in intervals! Give yourself breaks and genuine “relaxing” time to let everything soak in. Also, coffee and energy drinks for that final push are GREAT. Find a study buddy and do zoom calls.

Minh Nguyen 3H

Postby Minh Nguyen 3H » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Yeah, studying from home is honestly really difficult. It's usually where I want to go to relax after classes and studying, since I usually went to the library or some other place to do my work. Obviously, Covid has made studying at other locations more difficult, and staying focused at home has been rough. Hopefully we'll be able to adjust eventually!

Kyla Villarama 1E

Postby Kyla Villarama 1E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:40 pm

Hi, I've also been struggling with remote learning. I came across this website that has background noises that I play when I'm studying and it's been really useful! mynoise.net

Ruochen Yang 3B

Postby Ruochen Yang 3B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:33 am

As someone has already suggested, it would be helpful to have a place only for study. You can never imagine how distracting it can be when you are studying in your bedroom with your comfortable bed. Also, taking a nap in the afternoon helps me better focus on my materials later. What's more, since I have a dog, I walk my dog and go outside twice a day. Having some outdoor activities and breathe some fresh air really make me energetic and relaxed. I don't know if you are able to go out at this time, but at least in China, it's okay to go outside without a mask in most regions. Hope this will help!

Hannah Chang 3K

Postby Hannah Chang 3K » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:19 am

Might be helpful to set up a studying space at home. You could try rearrange furnitures and create a space that you are not usually used to.

Megan Hulsy 1A

Postby Megan Hulsy 1A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:22 am

I would set up a studying space that is quiet for you, and maybe play some chill music. This usually helps me although my family is pretty loud! Studying from home isn't always easy, but it's best to have a designated spot for studying, especially during these difficult times. We'll get through it!

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi! Studying from home can definitely be challenging but I think what's really helped me personally is planning out what exactly you want to accomplish on a particular day. For me, I keep an agenda of assignments I need to/would like to finish for the day, and I try to be as realistic as possible when marking which tasks I want to complete by the end of the day. I also like to section off my studying time, so for example, I'll set a timer for 1 hour to dedicate to one assignment and then I'll put my phone in another room. Afterwards, I'll reward myself with something like a 30 minute break before repeating.

Antonio Garcia 3A

Postby Antonio Garcia 3A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I was on campus earlier this year, and actually found it really hard and lonely to study in the dorm room alone, but I still had that same problem when I came home and would try to do work in my own room. I found going to a friends house(even if they don't go to the same college as you) helpful, perhaps the change of scenery+company helped.

Antonio Garcia 3A

Postby Antonio Garcia 3A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I was on campus earlier this year, and actually found it really hard and lonely to study in the dorm room alone, but I still had that same problem when I came home and would try to do work in my own room. I found going to a friends house(even if they don't go to the same college as you) helpful, perhaps the change of scenery+company helped.

Eileen Quach Dis 2A

Postby Eileen Quach Dis 2A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi! I find that playing lofi music while I'm studying helps me concentrate and also using this free app called Flora helps. Basically, it plants a specific kind of tree for every time interval that you study, and I find that it helps me feel a lot more motivated because I'm basing my productivity off of how long I've worked for even if I feel like I haven't gotten much done. I also like to go on walks which help me feel a lot more energized when I come back and study. Taking even a few minutes each day to prioritize your free time, like watching shows or calling a friend, can help you feel a lot more motivated when you do study since it can be easy to be caught up in your work and completely neglect your free time.

Faith Lee 2L

Postby Faith Lee 2L » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:27 am

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the Pomodoro Technique works really well for me! You set a timer on your phone and study for 25 minutes, and then take a 5 minute break (during which you can grab a snack, walk around, or stretch; anything except using electronic devices is recommended). Then, you go back to your 25 minute studying period. I find that it allows me to study for hours at a time, and many medical students swear by it. There's apps on the App Store you can use that even allow you to "grow" a virtual plant on your phone when you successfully study a certain number of "25-5 cycles" without picking up your phone :)

Breanna Ouyang 1I

Postby Breanna Ouyang 1I » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:14 am

Probably my number 1 tip would be don't do your work in bed. Carve out your own separate workspace so that your brain can easily distinguish where you go to bed and where you feel focused, since laying in bed can make you 1. really sleepy and 2. distracted. Personally, I always list out all my assignments and tasks for the week (and a separate list for when the weekend comes) so I have a plan and a gauge of how much time I'll have for everything. It's also really motivating when you delete tasks over the week and really relieving when you look at the to-do list and realize it's not as daunting as it seemed!

Khushi_Gupta_1A

Postby Khushi_Gupta_1A » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:50 am

What I find is really helpful is studying in different parts of my house on different days. The change of scenery allows me to better concentrate on my work.

Connie Liang 3L

Postby Connie Liang 3L » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Definitely don't underestimate walks! I love taking breaks by popping on music and walking a quick lap around my neighborhood. You can soothe your eyes by seeing green and also just getting up and moving feels good after sitting down for so long. As for staying motivated, focusing on learning for the sake of learning instead of just for the grade or credit is super helpful. There are tons of people who'd kill to be able to learn new topics and be in school so remembering that helps with staying focused and motivated! :)

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Studying at home is hard for me too. I like to study or do work for a little while, like an hour, then take a break and do something else for 15 or 20 minutes. I think my breaks are most effective when they don't include more screen time, so usually I'll go outside or make a snack or talk to my roommates.

Chesca Legaspi 2E

Postby Chesca Legaspi 2E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:43 am

Personally, I find working with a friend on call to be really helpful. It doesn't even have to be a friend who goes to UCLA or is in the same class. Most nights, I do my work on zoom with my best friend on call in the background. We'll spend the beginning of the call catching up and then we both just move to doing our homework or studying. Having someone in the background, even if you aren't talking, really makes studying feel less tedious/boring/lonely. It also helps having someone to hold you accountable because if they see you slacking off or falling asleep, they can call you on it. It's important to try to get as much human interaction as we can even with this pandemic going on so I'd definitely suggest studying virtually with a few good friends! Less distractions, just good vibes :)

Jagveer 1I

Postby Jagveer 1I » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:26 am

I have lots of distractions at home, so the best way that I can study from home is to completely isolate myself. I take only the things I need for schoolwork and head to my room and do my work. I also occasionally take breaks so that I do not burn myself out.

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi! It is easy to get distracted at home and it is difficult to stay focus. What I tend to do is to try and find an isolated location where I would not get distracted by my family. I also take breaks once in a while because it is difficult to stay focus for long periods of time.

Hannah_Kim_1I

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Kyla Villarama 3J wrote:Hi, I've also been struggling with remote learning. I came across this website that has background noises that I play when I'm studying and it's been really useful! mynoise.net

This website is super nice!! The rain/water sounds really help me focus. Thanks for the recommendation

Seraphina Joseph 1C

Postby Seraphina Joseph 1C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

I like to use to do lists so I know exactly what I need to do and I feel it makes me more productive

AliAsh 1H

Postby AliAsh 1H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm

I felt the same way and then I read that studying somewhere with more sunlight gets you to be more focused and productive, and honestly, it kind of worked. Also I know some people feel better studying with some background or white noise so maybe you could give that a try!

Lauren Strickland 1B

Postby Lauren Strickland 1B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

I find it helpful to listen to music when I study. I also put my phone on do not disturb so I if I get notifications I don't check my phone.

Eve Gross-Sable 1B

Postby Eve Gross-Sable 1B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 pm

It is for sure hard to study at home and I totally get you. Personally, I have struggled a lot to discipline myself and actually sit down and do stuff, especially when there isn't always a quiet place with enough room. I've found it very useful to set a timer when I'm studying or doing work and to schedule breaks where I get out of my apartment. I find it's more necessary to break up my work doing it from home than when I could go to the library or other places. Additionally, if you have a place you can work that is outside, maybe even at a park picnic table, that could be useful, too.

Will Pham 1J

Postby Will Pham 1J » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 pm

It's definitely been super hard focusing at home. I try to work with the pomodoro technique, which means you study in intervals of 25 minutes with a 5 minute break; I find this helps keep me productive because I definitely get very distracted if I work for longer than that. I also like to set a few hours a day to just relaxing or doing something non-work related to try and limit stress levels.

Savana Maxfield 3F

Postby Savana Maxfield 3F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:53 pm

It is absolutely extremely hard to study from home. A great technique that helps me is to make to-do lists and schedules for every day of the week, to organize what things I have to do and how to manage my time successfully!

Geethika Janga 1L

Postby Geethika Janga 1L » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 am

I've found that having a small, designated area of the house for studying purposes helps a lot. It helps me feel more in control of my time and definitely increases my productivity. Since it's also very easy to get distracted by my phone or the internet while at home, I have been trying out a new study timing technique, focus completely for around 25 minutes and then take a 5 five minute break. If those specific timings don't work for you, you can adjust them to your preferences. To be honest though, I think we just have to accept the fact that some days, it's way to hard to focus.

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 am

Has anyone done exceptionally well on both midterms? If so, what were some strategies that have helped you the most? Is there any specific resources that you refer to, aside from the hw and text-book?

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:00 am

I found that study from home remains far more difficult than on campus, as there are much less options of quiet places to study and much more distractions. If I were on campus and it was loud/distracting in my dorm, there were a ton of alternative places for me to study. Definitely miss studying on campus ;(

Margaret Wang 2D

Postby Margaret Wang 2D » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 am

Something that really helped me was that I used to study in the desk in my room but I would often get distracted there because that was also the place where I would relax and play video games and watch youtube videos. So when college started I set up a little new study area downstairs (just a table with a chair, nothing fancy) and used that area exclusively for studying and working so I have a separation of environment between working and relaxing.

Sid Panda 3A

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 am

Hannah_Kim_1I wrote:Personally, I find it difficult to study at home. Before corona, I used to go to cafes or libraries, but due to obvious reasons I haven't been able to do that lately. Any tips on how to stay focused from home?

I like to use an app called "Forest" (it's free on android, idk about ios. There is also a Chrome Extension). Basically, the app plants a virtual tree that grows over a certain amount of time. If you use your phone before the time is up, then the virtual tree will die. It surprisingly works for me. I think maybe because I feel bad if the tree dies, but to each their own I guess. Give it a try!

Annette Fishman

Postby Annette Fishman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:42 pm

I have the same struggle, especially this quarter. I make sure to use an agenda, because I find satisfaction in crossing of assignments that I have completed. I also try to make sure my work environment is clean (as well as my room). Sometimes I facetime my friends and we both do homework at the same time on a call while playing music. This helps simulate a coffeeshop feel, bonus if you have a coffee as well.

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 pm

I recently discovered this app called "flora". The app basically helps you to stay away from your phone and focus on your work. This truly helped me to be more productive.

jasonfarrales3D

Postby jasonfarrales3D » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Most of my distractions at home come from either my family members, or my phone. An easy solution for the second problem is I just put my phone in another room, preventing me from checking up on my notifications (which usually turn into 20-30 minute social media binges). In terms of family members bothering me, I cannot really change that. Sometimes though, if I really need to concentrate, I just put a sign on my wall saying that I need to focus, and most of the time that works!

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Studying from home can definitely be a struggle. I also went to libraries very often but in this climate, I have tried different strategies. It sounds ineffective but I often light a candle when I'm studying it helps me with my focus. I see others recommending apps that help with focus and I also use this method. How mine works is I work for 45 mins and have a 30 min break and my break time decreases more and more throughout my studying time. This is a great way to focus and hone in on certain topics.

Jasmine Yi 1G

Postby Jasmine Yi 1G » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:17 pm

I know this sounds weird, but studying on the floor occasionally has helped. It definitely changes your environment, even though you're still in the same house.

Racquel Fox 2I

Postby Racquel Fox 2I » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:21 pm

I feel the same way, I always went to the library and used to never be able to study at home. I just try to switch up my location in my house a bit so I'm never stuck in one place for too long. I like to listen to music while I study because it helps me get into more of a rhythm while studying. I also will move my phone out of arm's reach so I don't get distracted. Also, take breaks! If you're not able to study for a little bit, sometimes its better to give yourself a little break and then get back to it instead of distractedly studying. Good luck!

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:54 pm

For one thing, since having to study from home, I have experimented with different studying environments around my house - from changing my location, lighting, chair, etc. By being comfortable with the surrounding area, I am able to study for longer hours.

Jade Lastra 3B

Postby Jade Lastra 3B » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:59 pm

I think most people mentioned this already but taking break is important, but also I always tend to feel guilty for taking them because it feels like I'm wasting time. Which just does more harm than actually help me so when I take breaks I try to actively get my mind off of the activity by making a snack, or texting a friend. It's also good to change up where you study as well, I normally work in my living room, but sometimes I'll switch between my room or the kitchen table. I hope this makes sense, and helps just a little bit!

Jalaia Jackson 2G

Postby Jalaia Jackson 2G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 am

I feel as though one way to make studying at home better is to:
1. Find an environment that suits you.
2. Mentally prepare and take care of yourself.
3. Plan out what you have to do, to keep yourself on track.
4. Write down anything you need clarification on, for any class.
5. Make time for office hours/class resources.
6. Take a break from time to time away from the screen.

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm

I like to move out of my room to study to seperate "work space" from resting space. It forces me to pay better attention!

t_rasul2I

Postby t_rasul2I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:00 pm

I am blessed to have a designated desk in my room so I lock myself in my room, hide my phone in a drawer, and grind. Sitting at a designated study space makes me feel like I'm productive even though I am not. Moreover having that space is nice for me because I often have my mom basically screaming on the phone to relatives and my brother yelling while playing video games (literally they were doing that during my midterm sjhfuhufehuf) and so it is nice to have a designated quiet space to get some work done. I do alot of my studying at night so it is quiet and I can really concentrate.

Jack Kettering 3D

Postby Jack Kettering 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:01 pm

I definitely recommend switching up the different places you study to help with focusing as well as giving yourself periodic breaks from time to time to help refocus yourself :)

Callan Howard

Postby Callan Howard » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi! I fully sympathize! One tip I have is to change location, even if its a small change. If you normally study in bed try sitting on the floor next to your bed, or ask your family/roommates if you can study in their room. Sometimes a change of scenery can help a lot.

Michelle Magana 2B

Postby Michelle Magana 2B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:14 pm

I like to move around so usually i'm in my room for school work but I've been moving to my dinner table or even the living room to spice up life :)

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”