Rusty on High School Chem  [ENDORSED]

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Halle Villalobos 3E

Re: Rusty on High School Chem

Postby Halle Villalobos 3E » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi! I have not taken chemistry since my sophomore year so I am a little rusty as well. I have found Khan Academy and The Organic Chemistry Tutor videos on youtube to be extremely helpful in explaining concepts. I highly recommend taking a look at both sources. I hope this helps!

Postby 105405231 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi, if anyone is rusty on Chem or hasn't taken Chemistry before this course I would like to recommend buying/renting "Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook", by Jennifer A. Swanson. It's a funny title, but this book is really useful...it covers topics like stoichiometry, atomic structure, and so much more. A bonus is that it's available for only $15 on Amazon and at Target.

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:46 pm

I have the same problem, as this is my first time in a chemistry class since sophomore year of high school. What I did was to watch all the modules on Lavelle's website as well as completing the pre and post assessments. This really helped me solidify my base for chemistry. I also skimmed through a lot of the fundamentals section of the textbook and paid some extra attention to subjects I knew I was a little rusty on even after the modules. Hope this helps

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:04 am

Hey Rusty!!
If you watch lavelles audio visual concepts on his website, this should help a lot. I also recommend taking his post module tests multiple times. These caught me up, but he also reviews everything during his lectures. He doesn’t expect you to know much coming in, and reviews everything which is very helpful.

Darren1j

Postby Darren1j » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am

Having retuned from taking the section on coordination compounds and Iron, being rusty on chemistry is a pun in itself.

alebenavides

Postby alebenavides » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:29 pm

does anyone have any tips for chem14b. I heard that class is a little more challenging.

Postby 305405193 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Lavelle this quarter especially with a pandemic and personally not having any experience with chemistry at all coming out of high school provided lots of resources to help learn and digest the material which I appreciated a lot. Also, YouTube videos are very essential and can teach you a lot of the fundamentals in order to apply the themes to much harder problems.

Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby 805421690 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm

I took chemistry my sophomore year of Highschool, a basic course. I definitely struggled a lot doing this quarter's chemistry and I will say I wish I tried to do a beginners course at my local community college to refresh my memory!

Brianne Conway 1D

Postby Brianne Conway 1D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm a first year and I hadn't taken a chem class since junior year of high school either. For me personally, Khan Academy is a good way to learn and review chemistry topics. That's what helped me get through AP chem haha.

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi! I had very little background in chemistry when I started 14A with Dr. Lavelle last quarter. I was nervous about falling behind, but Dr. Lavelle always made sure to go over the basics/review fundamentals in lectures. Initially I was not utilizing the UA Sessions for extra help. However, I would highly recommend attending these sessions because I found them extremely helpful for both practice and conceptual understanding!

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Rusty on everything is about the gist of HS chemistry or anything science-related I do agree that a crash course is a good way to about doing things since it basically is a crash course. another way I'm told is to go to the office hour lab sessions the professor has every now and then since it summarizes what we should be doing for the week in question.

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Does anyone have a good/ established structure they would want to share when they would study for Chem 14B? I just want to make sure I'm knocking everything to prepare me well for the exams.

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Kathrine_Samia_1A wrote:Does anyone have a good/ established structure they would want to share when they would study for Chem 14B? I just want to make sure I'm knocking everything to prepare me well for the exams.

I really recommend the textbook and sapling problems. Based on Chem14A it seems like Lavelle tends to pull questions from the practice he assigns us. I also would recommend looking over the outlines for the unit and making sure that you understand all of the concepts listed. Lastly, make sure you are familiar with the formula sheet before the exam so you don't waste time looking for equations during the exam.

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 pm

A great refresher would be the audio visuals posted on Dr. Lavelle’s website, because they cover the basics and can help you get reintroduced into the chapter.

Devan Nathu - 2H

Postby Devan Nathu - 2H » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:52 pm

Definitely do a brief review! Professors do make sure you get the gist of it again before you do assignments and whatnot, they don't just throw you in. Also there are plenty of opportunities for questions not only through chemistry community, but through office hours and discussions as well! So don't worry, you'll get the hang!

Kathrine_Samia_1A

Postby Kathrine_Samia_1A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 pm

Angel More wrote:
Kathrine_Samia_1A wrote:Does anyone have a good/ established structure they would want to share when they would study for Chem 14B? I just want to make sure I'm knocking everything to prepare me well for the exams.

I really recommend the textbook and sapling problems. Based on Chem14A it seems like Lavelle tends to pull questions from the practice he assigns us. I also would recommend looking over the outlines for the unit and making sure that you understand all of the concepts listed. Lastly, make sure you are familiar with the formula sheet before the exam so you don't waste time looking for equations during the exam.

This is much helpful than trying to navigate everything on my own. Thank you so much for your help! Also, did you find reading the chapters very helpful? I thought Dr. Lavelle's lecture was enough on my end?

Angel More

Postby Angel More » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:42 am

Kathrine_Samia_1A wrote:
Angel More wrote:

This is much helpful than trying to navigate everything on my own. Thank you so much for your help! Also, did you find reading the chapters very helpful? I thought Dr. Lavelle's lecture was enough on my end?

Ya I agree, Dr. Lavelle's lecture go through everything you need to know for the exams, so I don't read the textbook!

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Joyce Wu 3E wrote:I took AP chemistry back when I was a sophomore in high school and am now taking 14A as a freshman in college so I understand how frustrating it is to forget the majority of the chemistry once learned. One tip I would have is to finish all the modules Dr. Lavelle posted on his website and also breeze through Crash Course videos on youtube. The practice problems he gave us in the course reader also helps.

Same here! Also reviewing my chemistry notes from high school has been an extra help

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:44 pm

I am taking 14B and I am still really scared to keep going into chemistry because I still do not know how to study for chemistry and not having developed that ability since high school.

Postby 305405193 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:44 pm

Other than PLFs are there any good tutoring sessions or people who offer services?

Return to “General Science Questions”