Writing cell diagram: figuring out order

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rachael_1H

Writing cell diagram: figuring out order

Postby Rachael_1H » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:59 am

When Writing a Cell Diagram, how do we know which order to put the different molecules of the anodes and cathodes in? For instance with the anode: Ag --->Ag+ + e- and the cathode: O3 + H2O + 2e- ---> O2 + 2OH- , the cell diagram is: Ag(s)|Ag+(aq)||OH-(aq)|O3(g),O2(g)|Pt(s)
My question is: why is Ag placed before Ag+ in th cell diagram? And why is OH- placed before O3 and O3 before O2 in the cell diagram? Does this order matter? Or does it only matter that anode on left and cathode on right?

Tram Vo 2I

Re: Writing cell diagram: figuring out order

Postby Tram Vo 2I » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 am

From what it seems to me, in the anode we usually write the (s) form first, before the (aq). I'm not 100% sure why, but it's just a general pattern I've been seeing while doing these problems.

I'm also thinking because it acts as a conductor or some sort, like how we write Pt(s) first on the left-hand side. Maybe someone can confirm/correct this for me?

Rachel Lipman

Re: Writing cell diagram: figuring out order

Postby Rachel Lipman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:06 pm

I typically just remember it having the solids on the outermost part of the cell diagram.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”