Molar Ratios and ICE box

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lauren To 1E

Molar Ratios and ICE box

Postby Lauren To 1E » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:57 pm

Do the coefficients you multiply x by in the ICE box always have to be the same as the stoichiometric coefficients? I think I remember it being briefly mentioned in the module but I didn't fully understand. For example if you have a reactant with a stoichiometric coefficient of 1 and a product with a stoichiometric coefficient of 2 could you say the change in molar concentration is 1/2x for the reactant and x for the product?

Pranav Kadiyala 1A

Re: Molar Ratios and ICE box

Postby Pranav Kadiyala 1A » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 pm

You could! As long as ratios match, its perfectly fine. I think the 1/2 might make solving for x a little more complicated because you square a decimal, but that's a matter of preference. Hope this helps!

Crystal Pan 2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 pm

It's easier to use whole numbers because you will usually end up with a quadratic equation already, and it's easier to calculate when you have as many whole numbers as possible. Theoretically though, you could, as long as you don't mind the decimals.

Kayle Lim 2C

Postby Kayle Lim 2C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:15 pm

Decimals and fractions can be used as long as the ratios match! You should end up with the same solution and answer as if you were to use whole numbers. It is all up to personal preference.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”