Study Habits

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mrudula Akkinepally

Study Habits

Postby Mrudula Akkinepally » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:43 pm

Hi everyone!

After taking chem 14a, I realized that I need to do better with studying.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on new study habits or study habits to leave in 2020.

Please let me know!

Thank you :)

SophiaJenny3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Study Habits

Postby SophiaJenny3I » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi! I've found that my biggest problem with studying is I never spend enough time on the stuff I'm shaky on. I like going through concepts I know how to do, just to confirm I do, but it ends up taking way too much time. While it can be daunting to do practice problems on concepts you don't like/find confusing, force yourself to do them early on. Don't save them for the last couple of days before the midterm/final. I've found that practice problems, whether it's chem or math, has been my most effective tool when studying. That way, you really know how to approach a problem from a few different angles, so even if it's not exactly the same on the midterm/final you have a good way to start. I also like making schedules for myself at the beginning of the day (with breaks included). That way, I don't spend too much time on a break, but I also don't drive myself crazy with studying. I hope this helps!!! Can't wait to hear about other people's study habits:)

Chloe Little 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Chloe Little 3K » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 pm

I've found that doing the textbook problems has helped me a lot. I'd also suggest spreading out your studying and not just cram right before the midterms and final. Going to step up sessions and peer learning sessions can also be very helpful if there's something in particular that you're struggling with or you just want some extra practice.

Astha Sahoo 3I

Postby Astha Sahoo 3I » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:04 pm

I definitely struggled with studying for the first couple of weeks too, but I found that going to at least one UA session every week really helped! Also being ahead with the textbook problems helped - I always did the Sapling ones last because they were slightly easier and didn't set as good of a foundation for concepts as doing the textbook problems first did. Also I didn't discover this till the end of the quarter, but reading the textbook REALLY helps, even if you just skim through it. I'm still working on my study skills, but this is what worked pretty well for me last quarter:).

kateraelDis1L

Postby kateraelDis1L » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:33 pm

This is such a great topic to chat about and I just finished writing out all my goals to improve my study habits in this class. I wrote down that I am going to try the self-explanation method of studying where you legit talk to yourself out loud to teach yourself and hear the concept. Even better, teach it to someone else whether that be parent, roommate, or even your dog. They will think you are super smart and make you feel better cuz you are smart! Other than that I will try to devote a few hours a day to chem and not let myself be stuck in my room all day without breaks. Good luck this quarter!!

Trevor_Ramsey_3H

Postby Trevor_Ramsey_3H » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:46 am

Hi I definitely recommend the step up or UA sessions! Also what I do is at the end of every week I go over all that we learned and make sure I know the material before we go into the next week. This typically involves doing textbook problems out of the book that help a lot.

AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D

Postby AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 am

I think it would be helpful to go to the UA sessions earlier because I really only went for the review sessions and I think if I had gone earlier there would have been less stress when it came time for the final

Ziyan Peng 3A

Postby Ziyan Peng 3A » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:13 am

AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D wrote:I think it would be helpful to go to the UA sessions earlier because I really only went for the review sessions and I think if I had gone earlier there would have been less stress when it came time for the final

Hi! What do we usually do at the UA sessions? I have not taken them with Dr. Lavelle and just want to get an idea of what they offer. Thanks :)

Jaclyn Dang 3B

Postby Jaclyn Dang 3B » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:44 am

I review all of the outlines and read the textbook. I found that lecture and sapling homework is not enough for me to remember the content, so I read the textbook and take some notes. In addition, I practice the study problems and go one at least one stepup sessiona week.

Sami Siddiqui 1J
Been upvoted: 6 times

Postby Sami Siddiqui 1J » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:01 am

For me, I normally take notes on the content of an upcoming outline before Dr. Lavelle covers it in lecture. You don't have to understand everything when you go through it the first time because his lectures will essentially tie any loose ends that you may have regarding a particular section. Also, I mostly predicate my study time on practice questions and going through the outlines and objectively assessing if I can elaborate conceptually on the curriculum guidelines. Some people have found it useful to binge through the textbook before the exams but I personally found that to be a waste of time if you already took notes on the subject.

Jalyn Davis 3D

Postby Jalyn Davis 3D » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:34 pm

All of these tips are really helpful. I plan on attending more UA sessions and doing more practice problems earlier on so I'm not cramming information too close to exams.

Lizbeth Garcia 1F

Postby Lizbeth Garcia 1F » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm

SophiaJenny3I wrote:Hi! I've found that my biggest problem with studying is I never spend enough time on the stuff I'm shaky on. I like going through concepts I know how to do, just to confirm I do, but it ends up taking way too much time. While it can be daunting to do practice problems on concepts you don't like/find confusing, force yourself to do them early on. Don't save them for the last couple of days before the midterm/final. I've found that practice problems, whether it's chem or math, has been my most effective tool when studying. That way, you really know how to approach a problem from a few different angles, so even if it's not exactly the same on the midterm/final you have a good way to start. I also like making schedules for myself at the beginning of the day (with breaks included). That way, I don't spend too much time on a break, but I also don't drive myself crazy with studying. I hope this helps!!! Can't wait to hear about other people's study habits:)

I also have this problem where I put off concepts I do not know until the end and I end up not going over them at all. I plan on fixing this during chem 14B, however, I mostly go over the book problems and go to the reviews before the exams.

Arti_Patel_3H

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm

I had this problem as well but I found that the most helpful things were the UA sessions, doing the homework problems, and my organic chemistry tutor on Youtube. I'll definitely be going to a lot more UA sessions and doing the homework problems for every outline.

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:16 pm

I tend to review the concepts we learned each week by completing random textbook problems that we were assigned that week. Completing the textbook problems is helpful as I can see what topics I need to spend more time studying. I also find the UA and step-up sessions extremely helpful because I have the opportunity to practice what I learned.

Sunny Wu 3A

Postby Sunny Wu 3A » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm

For me, reading textbooks (not just the one for this class--you can cross reference!) and doing the respective practice problems helps the most. The more questions you practice, the more familiar with the material you become!

Summer_Corona 3L

Postby Summer_Corona 3L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:10 am

As some of the others have said I've learned it's best to spread out my studying since when I study too late I forget things easier. The textbook problems and going to the UA sessions seem to be the best way to test your understanding of the topics and if possible studying with others in the class is always great too.

Sana Nagori 2H

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 am

Practice problems are the best preparation! Also on days you're lacking motivation I highly suggest going to UA sessions. You end up getting some extra practice and it isn't as painful as forcing yourself to stare at textbook problems for hours.

David Jen 1J

Postby David Jen 1J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:09 am

I heard of step up sessions but I don't know what happens there. Could someone fill me in on those? I'm kind of interested in attending one this quarter.

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:32 am

I recommend making time to go to UA sessions, as they were pretty helpful! Also doing the outlines and all the exercise programs will help you prepare for the final pretty well

Postby 905409193 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 am

Professor Lavelle has provided us with so many resources that I often took for granted last quarter. The UA sessions are extremely helpful and help with any lingering questions. Coming from someone who didn't do amazing last quarter, I'm definitely going to be utilizing these resources so hopefully it works for you too!

Margia Adriano 2A

Postby Margia Adriano 2A » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 am

Hi! For me, I do a lot of practice problems from the textbook. I personally think that it helps you better prepare for tests if you already know how to set up/tackle problems and overall is really helpful with applying concepts we're learning. Also, I try to do distributed studying, so instead of having a whole day dedicated to studying chem or one specific class, I try to dedicate at least an hour a day to the class. I hope this helps someone!

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:14 pm

Step-up sessions are really helpful and also doing the textbook problems before each test.

Jada3J

Postby Jada3J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm

I definitely think step-up and workshops help! Starting in advance is also very key. The textbook problems are the best way to practice questions that can be mirrored in the test.

Navdha Sharma 3J

Postby Navdha Sharma 3J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:35 pm

I think the textbook questions helped me a lot. Also, the step-up sessions and workshops really help too! Being regular and keeping up with the lectures also help.

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi, as a study habit to develop, I would definitely recommend doing all the textbook problems.

Racquel Fox 2I

Postby Racquel Fox 2I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:43 pm

I struggled with studying for midterms for 14A, but I did much better on the final when I started learning the material before it appeared in lecture, so that lecture was more of a review for me to get a better understanding. Also, do a LOT of practice problems!

Melody Wu 2L

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:49 pm

If you can do all the textbook problems, you're pretty solid. If you get one wrong, make sure you take the time to really figure out WHY you got it wrong. See if it was just a computational error, or a gap in knowledge. Going to UA workshops also were really great for getting a solid handle on the concepts. The more problems you do, the more it becomes just second nature and the easier it is to see where the "tricks" are in test questions.

Also, if you can explain the concepts to a friend really well, you're in a good place. I found that doing that (even just out loud to myself) helps me figure out what I am not that solid on. Focus your studying on concepts you're less confident about. Also sleeping and eating well is probably the #1 important thing to help you maximize your studying and keep your brain refreshed :)

Emily Jacobo 1C

Postby Emily Jacobo 1C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:51 pm

I found that completing the audio visuals are very helpfully to solidify the concepts, although there isn’t audio visual modules for all topics. I also found reading the textbook and doing the practice problems are very helpful because Professor Lavelle models the exam questions from the textbook questions. I also find attending the UA sessions quite helpful as they will give you more practice and guidance. If you need help with specific problems I think it is helpful to go to a drop in session or a TAs office hours.

Truman Chong Dis 3G

Postby Truman Chong Dis 3G » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:53 pm

I find it helpful to spread things out a lot as to not overwork yourself and experience burnout. It helps to divide up the topics into sections and slowly tackle each sections when it comes to studying. Additionally, regularly try your hand at practice problems even when you haven't studied a particular topic in a while to make sure you still know the material. Also take advantage of the zoom sessions provided to better understand the material and perhaps listen to a different explanation of topics that you might be struggling with.

AlyssaMaynard1C

Postby AlyssaMaynard1C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:56 pm

SophiaJenny3I wrote:Hi! I've found that my biggest problem with studying is I never spend enough time on the stuff I'm shaky on. I like going through concepts I know how to do, just to confirm I do, but it ends up taking way too much time. While it can be daunting to do practice problems on concepts you don't like/find confusing, force yourself to do them early on. Don't save them for the last couple of days before the midterm/final. I've found that practice problems, whether it's chem or math, has been my most effective tool when studying. That way, you really know how to approach a problem from a few different angles, so even if it's not exactly the same on the midterm/final you have a good way to start. I also like making schedules for myself at the beginning of the day (with breaks included). That way, I don't spend too much time on a break, but I also don't drive myself crazy with studying. I hope this helps!!! Can't wait to hear about other people's study habits:)

I resonate with this so much! I definitely also spend way too much time on the topics I already know because it's familiar and boosts my confidence to know I've got at least something down. I also find for topics I'm unsure on, it's helpful to see them from different angles using youtube and even Khan Academy to get new approaches!

vanessanguyen3I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby vanessanguyen3I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Honestly something I'm trying to be better about this semester is asking for help. In 14a, if I ever struggled with a concept I never asked for help from anyone when there's so many resources. I just kept on trying to figure it out by myself. I finally talked to a TA once and it made figuring out the challenging concept WAY faster, WAY easier, and way less frustrating. I'm also trying to go to UA sessions because I've heard they really help.

Sarah Hernandez 1F

Postby Sarah Hernandez 1F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Doing the textbook problems on the outline is probably one of the most helpful things, and I'd honestly recommend reading through the recommended textbook sections at some point too, maybe when you're reviewing for the midterm or final, because I've found that the information they contain is really relevant to what we learn during the lectures

Kylie McCauley 1D

Postby Kylie McCauley 1D » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:09 pm

Hey,

I don't know if you've heard of this but I use the pomodoro method to keep me focused when im working/studying. you can google it but it involves setting a timer for 25 minutes and completely focusing during that time, and then when thats over setting a timer for 5 minutes to take a break. Then you repeat this until you get all your work done. You can download a computer app which does this all for you and its what I use. Hope this helps!

jasmineculilap_3F

Postby jasmineculilap_3F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:15 pm

I found the assigned textbook problems on the syllabus to be really helpful in practicing my understanding. Also, try to space out your studying instead of a long intensive study session.

Daria Obukhova 2B

Postby Daria Obukhova 2B » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:19 pm

I think it's important to space out your review/learning. Cramming a bunch of practice problems before a midterm or final seems to work poorly and all the knowledge is short-term. So, I think it's nice create a study plan ahead of time where you can work on problems/read the txtbook/attend office hours in a spaced out manner. I have found this technique to alleviate my stress most of the time.

Rayna Irving 2C

Postby Rayna Irving 2C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:12 pm

One thing that helped me a lot was studying consistently throughout the quarter instead of cramming all the info in my head right before finals and midterms, because it helped me feel a lot less overwhelmed and stressed in the long run.

Geethika Janga 1L

Postby Geethika Janga 1L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 pm

I think the most productive ways to study for this class are to attend at least one UA session per week and work on the textbook problems that he recommends. I think last quarter I depended way too much on the problems from Sapling thinking they would be similar to the exam questions. I won't be making that mistake again. Other than that, I think it would be best if I could identify which concepts I have more issues with and focus more on those rather than wasting time on concepts I have a good grip on.

vuongnaomi1L

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 pm

The best thing that I can do differently for myself this quarter is to make a schedule to realistically space out my studying, and force myself to stick to it. Cramming does not work, especially in a class like this. I find that it is better to study ahead of time so I can retain the information better.

Postby 705512695 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:30 pm

I find helpful going to as many step up sessions as I can, then for additional resources I watch videos online on areas I find myself struggling in. I also find doing a lot of practice problems from the textbook is helpful.

Postby 805513524 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 pm

I like to not only take notes in class but as I am reading the textbook as well. It helps me retain the information and then when I study I can just look back on the notes I took instead of having to read straight from the textbook

Eileen Quach Dis 2A

Postby Eileen Quach Dis 2A » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 am

Hi! I think breaking up the outline problems in chunks throughout the week makes things a lot more manageable and gives you more time to ask questions if you need to so you can understand the content better, since I personally tended to cram last quarter. I also would recommend to go to workshops to get more practice. I also recommend reading your notes before you practice the outline problems to increase your confidence with solving the problems.
For concentrating, I would recommend forcing yourself to take breaks every couple of hours, putting your phone away in another room, and playing some lofi music.

Simran Bains 2C

Postby Simran Bains 2C » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:10 am

I think the biggest thing to help is to just sit down and designate a certain amount of time every day to study and read the textbook instead of cramming before the midterms.

Jasmin Kumar 1G

Postby Jasmin Kumar 1G » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am

I definitely realized how important the textbook questions are. Do them even though they aren't assigned. I would suggest doing them as we progress, and then before the test, go over ones that you didn't understand and review the rest of them!

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:58 am

After taking Chem 14a, I realized that I didn't fully take advantage of the extra help that was available--outside of lecture. So this quarter I'm trying my best to attend as many sessions as possible.

Annika Tamaki 1E

Postby Annika Tamaki 1E » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 am

It's always helpful to quiz yourself and practice test problems, instead of just reading notes! Also, be sure to do a little every night, like in 30 minute chunks, so that you don't have to cram for the final.

Annika Tamaki 1E

Postby Annika Tamaki 1E » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:59 am

almost_ethan wrote:After taking Chem 14a, I realized that I didn't fully take advantage of the extra help that was available--outside of lecture. So this quarter I'm trying my best to attend as many sessions as possible.

Me too! I only began to go to them the week before the final and am now regretting not fully utilizing this amazing resource.

Cora Chun 2D

Postby Cora Chun 2D » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Besides doing practice problems and keeping up with the material (to avoid cramming), some good study strategies I would recommend are 1. having a good studying environment; put your phone somewhere out of sight and always always always study at a table/desk instead of your bed. 2. have a set routine, like maybe watching the lectures on MWF, doing the Sapling homework on Friday night, and doing the recommended textbook problems for that section on Saturday or something. Make a routine, and make it consistent (I find that this is the most helpful so you also don't forget any assignments or anything). 3. have a regular sleep schedule lol 4. plan out each day and what you want to accomplish. This is really good for holding yourself accountable and it's a good way to work at a steady pace without feeling overwhelmed on any particular day. Hope this helps!

Sid Panda 3A

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm

almost_ethan wrote:After taking Chem 14a, I realized that I didn't fully take advantage of the extra help that was available--outside of lecture. So this quarter I'm trying my best to attend as many sessions as possible.

totally resonate with this.

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Annika Tamaki 1E wrote:

Me too! I only began to go to them the week before the final and am now regretting not fully utilizing this amazing resource.
I feel the same way. Now, I attend peer learning sessions every day!

Nandhini Ekambaram 1L

Postby Nandhini Ekambaram 1L » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pm

I agree with everyone else! Last quarter I only did around 5 textbook questions for each unit, but this quarter I will try my best to do them all. This seems like the main thing everyone is recommending to do.

JonathanSung_2G

Postby JonathanSung_2G » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:59 pm

I like to study periodically and plan out what I am going to do before the week begins. I find it helpful to take breaks in between study sessions just to reset the mental so I don't get burned out immediately. Having a plan in my mind helps me not stress out as much since I know what my goals are for each day of the week.

Alex Mele 2A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Alex Mele 2A » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

I think it's really helpful to have a designated study area! As opposed to doing homework on your bed. That helps me focus on what I'm doing and makes me feel more like I'm in a classroom.

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 pm

Focus studying on what really helps you, rather than just trying to get through all possible study materials! For me it helped to really focus in on doing textbook problems to study since the amount of potential study resources for this class can get overwhelming, and I found the textbook problems were the most helpful. Study smarter, not harder!

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 pm

I can definitely relate to this. I want to focus on doing harder review first even though I like to start with easy problems so I feel as though I've made more 'progress' in the quantity of material I've covered. I know that it will be more time-effective to get through hard stuff first and go through easier concepts if I have time.

Faith Lee 2L

Postby Faith Lee 2L » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:38 pm

I would avoid "passive" studying! I'm guilty of often rereading the textbook or highlighting my notes to study, and they've been proven to be highly ineffective. You can still reread and/or highlight, but make sure to do some other studying methods with them. I tried quizzing myself and solving the more difficult homework problems last quarter, and it worked out really well for preparing for the tests! Best of luck :)

Vivian Chang 3L

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:39 am

A study habit I've found to be really helpful is to start studying early! After every lecture, I review the lecture notes I just took to make sure I understand what we went over instead of cramming it all a few days before the midterms/final. I also like to spread out doing the textbook problems and plan it out so that I have enough time to redo the textbook problems at least 2 or 3 times. Also in general, I like to attend weekly UA sessions so that the concepts are constantly being drilled into me. UA sessions, in particular, help a lot with problem-solving and conceptual understanding!

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:10 pm

I'm definitely gonna be focusing more on the textbook problems this quarter.

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:52 pm

A study habit you should definitely implement is doing more interactive studying. By having someone explain a problem step by step, and you being able to clear up questions right on the spot really helps with confidence on the material for the exams.

Will Pham 1J

Postby Will Pham 1J » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi, I also had a really big problem with not spending enough time studying/working for this class. However, I noticed that every workshop session I went to I felt like I understood the material really well, so I would definitely going to those. Also, Organic Chemistry Tutor on youtube is super helpful with explaining things.

Anirudh Mahadev 1G

Postby Anirudh Mahadev 1G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:27 pm

Hi, the best tips I can give you are to develop a study plan, minimize distractions, and try to avoid procrastinating or cramming.

Josh Chou 3K

Postby Josh Chou 3K » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm

Recently, I've been trying to use the Pomodoro Technique to increase my productivity and optimize my studying. You can look up the Pomodoro Technique, but essentially it's 25 minutes of studying/working followed by a 5 minute break. I like to call these 30-minute cycles "pomos." After 4 pomos (so after 2 hours of Pomodoro Technique), I take a longer 30-minute break to give myself some time to reset. This has been the most effective strategy for me, especially because I find the Law of Diminishing Returns to stand true after I've been studying/working continuously for too long. Maybe start with 4-6 pomos per day and then slowly work your way up to maybe 8-10 pomos per day. Hope you find this helpful!

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Definitely do the Textbook problems, and truly t attend the UA Sessions! They are super helpful and the UAs are a lot of fun!

Nicolette Simoni 3L

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Do the textbook problems!! And try and read the textbook content before lecture so you don't feel behind. :)

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Totally agree with the others regarding textbook problems! They were my most useful tool. I would go through each problem, making sure that I knew exactly how to solve them. If I didn't I would post on Chem Community or text the GroupMe to ask for help. I feel like that really helped my understand the content.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:41 pm

I find that the textbook problems from Lavelle's outlines are the most helpful as some of them have shown up verbatim on the past exams. Additionally, I find that the UA workshops are really helpful in doing additional problems with the guidance of the UAs because you learn new ways of approaching problems and shortcuts.

Kaili Valenzuela 2B

Postby Kaili Valenzuela 2B » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:58 pm

It's definitely helpful to begin studying a week or so before exams rather than trying to cram everything in two days before. You are more likely to remember what you studied opposed to what you study during a cramming session. I also found making a study guide is extremely helpful!

Megan Hulsy 1A

Postby Megan Hulsy 1A » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi! I felt that doing the practice problems was KEY! Honestly, I owe my success in 14A to doing these practice problems multiple times, although it was a pain, and attending UA Sessions. I made sure that I knew every problem back and forth and this really helped me!

Sheryl Ocampo 1D

Postby Sheryl Ocampo 1D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:27 pm

I found that doing practice problems helped me the most, dispersing practice over longer periods of time is definitely better than trying to cram it all in right before midterms

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 pm

Like a lot of people have said, step up and UA session might be a good place to start. If you can't make them, I believe there is a shared drive on the groupme. Last quarter, I would also cram doing all the textbook problems a couple days before the exams but I think it might be better to start working on it as we go through the class content instead of cramming it all in last minute.

Mahnoor_Wani_1I

Postby Mahnoor_Wani_1I » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 pm

From chem 14a I learned not to stress over chemistry too much. My advice would be to attend one or two UA sessions per week, do textbook problems, review lecture notes, and make a study guide using the learning outcomes

Anna_Mohling_1D

Postby Anna_Mohling_1D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 pm

My number one thing is that if I'm going to study I want to make sure it is productive study time. I ensure this by leaving my phone somewhere else, looking at the time I start studying and promising myself that I will work hard for ___ amount of time. This helps me keep myself accountable and makes me feel much more productive.

Vanessa Perez

Postby Vanessa Perez » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm

my advice is attend as many UA sessions as you can and practice the book problems. I think the best thing is making sure you know how to approach and solve book questions

Seraphina Joseph 1C

Postby Seraphina Joseph 1C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Doing the textbook problems definately helped me the most.

George Kaleb Jimenez 1K

Postby George Kaleb Jimenez 1K » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Something I do that really helps me is making my own study guide. It forces me to go through all my notes and put emphasis on things I'm shaky about. on top of all that, it concentrates all the need to know information in one place!

AmyHo2K

Postby AmyHo2K » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 pm

Hi, I also realized I needed to do better at studying so something I am trying to do is to do all the textbook problems on the outlines after we went over all the content during class.

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Personally, I set a specific schedule of what I need to get done each day and I make sure that I am motivated to keep up with this schedule to make sure that I am getting my work done. Another thing I like to do is to redo textbook problems until I am able to solve them without looking at the solutions manual to make sure that I can solve them on my own :))

Sabine Salvucci 2E

Postby Sabine Salvucci 2E » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:11 am

Hello! Doing textbook problems was really helpful because I found those most similarly resembled the kind of questions we would get on assessments. It is also important to understand the material conceptually; something that helped me with this is making my own study guides for the lectures and textbook.

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D

Postby Uyenvy Nguyen 1D » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:12 am

Hi! I would definitely recommend going to at least 1 UA session per week. If that is not possible, I would say to work on the worksheets that they send out for practice. Working on textbook problems and Sapling seem to be very helpful as well. I did not really touch the textbook problems last quarter and I was alright, but I would try to do some this quarter for more practice. Watching the Organic Chemistry Tutor also helps me a alot.

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D

Postby Uyenvy Nguyen 1D » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:12 am

Hi! I would definitely recommend going to at least 1 UA session per week. If that is not possible, I would say to work on the worksheets that they send out for practice. Working on textbook problems and Sapling seem to be very helpful as well. I did not really touch the textbook problems last quarter and I was alright, but I would try to do some this quarter for more practice. Watching the Organic Chemistry Tutor also helps me a alot.

Aditya Sundaram 3D

Postby Aditya Sundaram 3D » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 am

Studying with a small group or another person immensely helps. It should enhance what you've learned in the past as you either make mistakes and get taught by someone or you catch a mistake and teach them. Either way, it enriches your understanding by a lot and may even help you make less careless errors.

Simi Kapila_3E

Postby Simi Kapila_3E » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:21 am

The week before the midterms, I make myself do all of the assigned textbook problems, and then re-do any of the ones I got wrong the first time, because he usually puts at least a few textbook problems in the midterms. So I think it is definitely work practicing those, as well as re-doing any ones you are having a hard time with, because it will help reinforce the information in your brain.

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:22 am

I completely changed my study habits this quarter! Last quarter, I focused way too much on textbook reading and skimmed through the lectures, but now, I found it beneficial to watch the lecture first and if I don't understand a concept based on the learning objectives, that's when I read the textbook section for it! I started doing UA worksheets earlier this quarter too since last quarter, I would wait until testing week to do them.

Postby 505598869 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:31 pm

I would suggest studying, or doing practice problems immediately after watching lectures or discussions in order to put the new material to use and help it sink in.

Stacey Phan 2I

Postby Stacey Phan 2I » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 pm

Last quarter, I made sure I understood all the textbook problems that are assigned on the syllabus. I went to many workshops and took notes on the textbook. I think reading the textbook really solidified what Lavelle would go over in lecture.

Jasmine Ho 3I

Postby Jasmine Ho 3I » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 pm

I set study goals for myself every day in order to avoid having to cram everything before exams.

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:22 pm

I've been trying to spread my studying out instead of cramming right before and I think that has helped. Also, while doing the textbook problems, I focused on what I got wrong so I didn't make the same mistakes during the midterm or final.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Do not get behind on lectures! It can be so easy to procrastinate them because they are recorded but you need to watch them when it is aired.

Kayla Booker 1F

Postby Kayla Booker 1F » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm

I also struggled with studying last quarter and I think for this quarter is would be a good idea do textbook problems and also go to step up sessions to test what you already know.

Bryan Le 2K

Postby Bryan Le 2K » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:41 pm

Something I like to do when I am studying is to write everything I know about a topic on a piece of paper. From there, I would figure which topics I really need to focus on. I also recommend to do a lot of practice problems to help prepare you for the exam. In doing so, you would be more aware of the different ways the exam could ask specific questions.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:32 pm

UA sessions, textbook problems, & reviewing sapling homework definitely help with practicing (the more practice the better for this class). Reviewing conceptual stuff from reading the textbook or watching videos is also helpful.

Mehreen 3I

Postby Mehreen 3I » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:41 pm

I recommend going to the workshops especially the step-up sessions where they give you worksheets. The textbook problems are also great for practice.

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:47 pm

I've been struggling with chemistry so much lately and all these responses have been so helpful. I do the textbook problems but i feel like going to step up session would be really helpful.

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Start with the hard concepts! Don't put them off until the end. If you understand certain concepts, then you don't need to spend the same amount of time on them as topics you don't understand. This may seem obvious, but I know it's sometimes tempting to work on easier problems because it feels as though you're getting more done! Take time to work through hard concepts, even if the quantity of problems you get through isn't as great.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:28 pm

On subjects that I'm struggling with, I like to look at the hints and answer explanations on the Sapling HW. They usually explain the process of solving the problems in great detail

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Something I have found to be extremely helpful is keeping a very large whiteboard wall calendar of all of the due dates for the month. I can cross things off as I get them done and can also see ahead to know how busy parts of future weeks are going to be and try to prepare.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:50 pm

In the run-up to the first midterm of Chem 14B, does anyone have any good tips they think might be especially useful at this time?

Charlie Russell 2L

Postby Charlie Russell 2L » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:14 pm

TEXTBOOK PROBLEMS ALL THE WAY!

Me and my study buddy for the class do them each week to review materials!

We save the harder end of unit textbook questions for before the final!

Do your sapling! Communicate on Chem Comm! And go to those step up sessions if you need more help!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”