Memory Tips

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

cassidy_herro_1L

Memory Tips

Postby cassidy_herro_1L » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 am

Does anyone have a good memory tip to not confuse the difference between Electrophiles and Nucleophiles?

Amanda Nguyen 2E

Re: Memory Tips

Postby Amanda Nguyen 2E » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:42 am

The way I think about it is Electrons are like the attractive mates everyone wants, but not everyone can have.

"electro" = electrons and "-phile" means "loving." electrophiles love electrons, but unfortunately electrons don't love them back, so they are electron deficient. Nucleophiles are just the opposite. Electrons like them back so nucleophiles are electron rich.

Arielle Kunitz 3A

Postby Arielle Kunitz 3A » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 am

Also, if you remember that nucleophiles ATTACK electrophiles, you can think of attacking being a negative action. nucleophiles are electron dense, meaning that they have a high negative charge. so you can think of them being pessimistic! haha hope this helps :)

Rachel Lipman

Postby Rachel Lipman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:28 pm

In class today it was mentioned that nucleophiles are basically another term for Lewis bases, so if you can remember that you can make the distinction that nucleophiles are electron rich.

Amy Pai

Postby Amy Pai » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:42 pm

I just go by:
Electrophile= "electron-loving" (want electron)
Nucleophile= "nucleus-loving" (want positive stuff)

The whole electrophiles are electron-deficient and nucleophiles are electron-rich can thus be deduced.
Deducing it logically from their names (to me) is much simpler than memorizing which is e- deficient and which is e- rich.

Crystal Eshraghi 2L

Postby Crystal Eshraghi 2L » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:08 pm

You can also think of nucleophiles as being "negative" because both words start with the letter N; thus, having a negative charge would cause the nucleophile to be electron-rich. All you have to do from there is just remember that electrophiles are the opposite of nucleophiles!

ssendhil

Postby ssendhil » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 pm

For me this is where the whip and nae nae come into play. Not necessarily the whip but NAE helps me remember N-ucleophiles A-ttack E-lectrophiles. Hope this helps.

Melissa Kulon 2D

Postby Melissa Kulon 2D » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:11 am

These are all really good tips! It would also be helpful to just memorize some of the major ones, considering all the ones on the quiz were common ones we had seen before.

Christopher Lew 1L

Postby Christopher Lew 1L » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:18 am

Nucleophiles -> Nucleus-> positive-> phile -> wants positive stuff -> electron rich
Electrophiles -> Electron -> negative ->phile -> wants negative stuff -> electron deficient

Return to “*Electrophiles”