How familiar should we be with Naming compounds?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maddy_Larson_2J

How familiar should we be with Naming compounds?

Postby Maddy_Larson_2J » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 pm

In some of the homework questions, I noticed it will write out names of compounds and ask us to write and balance the chemical equation. This made me wonder if I should be expected to know naming. If yes, does any one know any good resources (along with the course reader) for me to review this?
Thank you!

Diana_Visco_1l

Re: How familiar should we be with Naming compounds?

Postby Diana_Visco_1l » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:53 pm

HI, in response to your question...To better understand the periodic table and trends, it is extremely helpful to know the name of common compounds and polyatomic ions. A few resources that have helped me over the few years when I have taken chemistry, include resources like Kahn Academy, Fernbank.edu, etc. There are many resources online to help with tips and tricks on memorizing compounds, but I believe the easiest way for me to remember compound naming is just through practice and the memorization of these compounds. For example, making flashcards of the most common compounds (i.e. glucose) and polyatomic ions (ammonium, nitrates) definitely helps. Also, every time you read a compound, in your head visualize how the compound can be written and said. Hope this helps!!

Ariana de Souza 4C

Postby Ariana de Souza 4C » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Is it necessary to be fluent in nomenclature right now, or are we going to be going over it in lectures and discussion groups in the future?

Dan_Jin_1K

Postby Dan_Jin_1K » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Is there some special method that we can learn so that we can figure out how to write compounds based on the positivity/negativty of each element? For instance, for Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate, how can one figure out which elements are positive and which are negative, and the charges of the elements?

Laine Gruver 3C

Postby Laine Gruver 3C » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I thought it was helpful in figuring out how to name compounds: http://www.chemteam.info/Nomenclature/H ... pounds.jpg

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 pm

As of now, you do not need to be an expert at naming compounds (just yet). We will learn how to name compounds later on in the course.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: How familiar should we be with Naming compounds?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:28 pm

See the examples listed in the course reader (high-school review section on how to name compounds).

As we progress through Chem 14A, especially Lewis structures, I will cover many names.

For now (e.g., quiz 1), all compounds will be given with the formula and name.

Joslyn_Santana_2B

Postby Joslyn_Santana_2B » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:15 am

For Quiz 1, then it would not be similar to all the homework questions only certain ones?

Since, in E9 it states: "Epsom salts consist of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. Write its formula."

Lyndon_Bui_3J

Postby Lyndon_Bui_3J » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Will we need to know how to use prefixes and suffixes like hypo, ous, ic, etc. from our own reading and reviewing or will that be covered in class/discussion?

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”